• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica warranty (1 Viewer)

davexyx

The Eye cup on my leica 20-60x eyepiece dropped off and was lost. I sent it back to Leica via a dealer believing that it was covered by a lifetime warranty. They quoted me £100 to repair it saying that without a receipt the warranty was not valid. I found the receipt and a copy was sent off. I was then told that because I bought it 6 years ago it still did not come under warranty. I was told the warranty for eyepieces was only for 5 years. News to me !! It seems that Leica are just moving the goal posts to suit themselves. I asked to buy an eyecup as a spare part but they are not available. I think that Leica customer service is extremely poor. When I bought the scooe and eyepiece I was told that this was a premium product and I would never have problems with repairs or servicing. How wrong this is. I refuse to pay out £100 for a piece of plastic tube probably worth around 20p !! So I have asked for my eyepiece to be returned in its present broken condition. another totally unsatisfied customer Leica ! Leica warranty terms are a mine field with periods which may be 3,5, 10, 20,30 years or a lifetime. I will never buy another Leica product !

Hi Dave,

Are you talking about just a rubber eyecup, no other piece? I just noticed this was posted on binocular forum on here, so this is a spotting scope.

Last edited:
AFAIK most manufacturers exclude the rubber eye cups from their warranty coverage. But if that is the case in this instance, charging 100 pounds to replace a simple rubber slipon eye cup is WAY over the top!

I had to replace the eye cups on my old Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA and Leica charged me $25.00 a piece for each of them but these were screw on eye cups and were made specifically for that binocular. Is this the way the eye cup in question fits on the scope?

Bob

PS: On the matter of their availability, CameraLand NY notes that the 20-60 Televid Zoom Eyepiece is sold out and to call them about about it; so there may be some problems getting one as a spare part.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=41012

Last edited:
AFAIK most manufacturers exclude the rubber eye cups from their warranty coverage. But if that is the case in this instance, charging 100 pounds to replace a simple rubber slipon eye cup is WAY over the top!

I had to replace the eye cups on my old Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA and Leica charged me $25.00 a piece for each of them but these were screw on eye cups and were made specifically for that binocular. Is this the way the eye cup in question fits on the scope?

Bob

PS: On the matter of their availability, CameraLand NY notes that the 20-60 Televid Zoom Eyepiece is sold out and to call them about about it; so there may be some problems getting one as a spare part.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=41012

Yeah, I'm a Leica fan but they need to get a clue about CS on their big ticket items.

Yeah, I'm a Leica fan but they need to get a clue about CS on their big ticket items.

This 20-60 Zoom eyepiece isn't shown on Leica's website. They have a 20-50 Zoom. It might be a discontinued item. Did Leica tell OP this? We don't know if he is dealing with a discontinued eye piece or not. He was more focused on bad mouthing Leica and complaining about their 5 year warranty.

For that matter OP hasn't posted any replies to the requests here for more details about the eyepiece.

Until he does, I'm not wasting any more time on this and I will give Leica the benefit of the doubt. All we know about their giving him CS on this matter is what he put in his post.

When I dealt with Leica about replacing the (worn out) eye cups on my Leitz 7x42 I got specific replies to my questions and I understood what the situation was.

Bob

I had a rather good experience with Leica USA on repair on my 16-48 power eyepiece for my Televid 62mm scope. Eyecup was jammed and Leica expedited repair and shipped back to me in time for trip that I had planned.

I stopped in Leica store today in NYC hoping to test some binoculars but unfortunately they have almost nothing but cameras. Not that I don't like cameras but looks like binoculars is somewhat neglected at least in NYC. I will visit store in DC sometime to see maybe they have better selection ...

I stopped in Leica store today in NYC hoping to test some binoculars but unfortunately they have almost nothing but cameras. Not that I don't like cameras but looks like binoculars is somewhat neglected at least in NYC. I will visit store in DC sometime to see maybe they have better selection ...

You will find plenty of Leica Binoculars in camera stores in Manhattan like Camera Land, B&H and Adorama.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back