• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupolds Customer Service!! (2 Viewers)

stephen b

Well, I for one am one very satisfied Leupold Customer!!

The UPS driver dropped off a shipment today at my house; it was (2) boxes with returned repair items in them. I have used Leupold products for years, but never had sent anything in for repair. Last week, on Thursday I sent off (2) binoculars for some very minor repairs; they could not have received them before Friday, maybe Saturday.

Before I sent them I asked about turn around time and they told me it was about 3-4 weeks back to me once they got them and they were in their system. That seemed very reasonable considering the time of year. I have other binoculars and never asked for any rush at all. The repair report slip on both (with the final service activity on it) was dated 16-Aug-10 (Monday) and they were shipped out back to me on Tuesday. Wow!! that means that they jumped on it on Monday and did what was needed and put them out for shipping to me within about a day, maybe two.

So... what was done?? One binocular that I sent in was a 3-4 year old superb 8x42 Cascade Porro (now a discontinued item) that was in near perfect condition; the only problem was on the far distance infinity focus I was at about the very end of turning and even though I could see detail fine, it bugged me for a long time, because I always felt that maybe if I had a little more turn in the focus, maybe some more detail would present itself. And, I only had this problem when I used the binoculars without my glasses; with my glasses on I had more than enough room in the focus travel at the end range. Also with my glasses on I realized that even with them off there was enough room in the focus wheel because I saw the same detail at infinity focus with or with out the glasses; it was just something that bugged me. I like to use my bino's for extended viewing often with out eyeglasses. I asked Leupold to see if they could re-adjust the focus travel.

So what did they do- They replaced them with brand New Ones! And this is for a model that is no longer in production.

2nd binocular was a mid-late 1980's 7x30 IF Gold Ring Porro, which has always been a nice,sharp and very functional fun little binocular to use. I only sent this one in for a check-up/ tuneup and just general "spiff" up job. Well, they "reworked the hinge" (I did not think it was a problem), "replaced rubber eyecups" (the roll down type) even though the old ones were still in good condition. Also did a "complete internal inspection and alignment" and did a thorough cleaning.

Now they look and function as brand new binoculars.

To say I am blown away and very pleased by my first experience with Leupold service is an understatement! I had used Swarovski's fine service before and was always pleased, and now Leupold matched that and maybe even one upped them -as far as the turn around time.

Last edited:
Hi Stephen, I am glad you had excellent service with Leupold. Did the second Cascade porro seem ok for your focus travel. Are both your eyes out more than a few diopters? My right eye is myopic 1.5 diopter and I never had any trouble with focus travel.
Regards,Steve

Hi Stephen, I am glad you had excellent service with Leupold. Did the second Cascade porro seem ok for your focus travel. Are both your eyes out more than a few diopters? My right eye is myopic 1.5 diopter and I never had any trouble with focus travel.
Regards,Steve

Steve,

The second Cascade Porro was just fine for focus travel. The truth was the first one would have probably been fine, it just bugged me that I was out of room in the rotation just at the very point where I reached infinity focus. This was only the case with my glasses off; when they were on it was fine.

My vision is really not that bad at all, with most of my binoculars I am in the (-) range of .5 to 1 diopter in the (R) eye. I think even in the first Casdcade that I sent in for repair I only had the diopter set at about .5 (but in the cascade's you adjust the (L) eye for the diopter setting. Apparently the first Cascade was just a different sample in that almost all of the focus travel was only about half the wheel towards the counter clockwise rotation. The second sample had plenty of room in the focus travel beyond the infinity focus.

Hope that answered your ?

Hi Steve, Yes, that answers my question. Thanks! I was wrong my left eye is 2.0 diopters myopic. I have had a few binoculars that were close to running out of focus for infinity.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back