• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Major issue with East Coast Binocular Repairs - 5 month delay returning binoculars! (1 Viewer)

Benedict Macdonald

England
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has had any recent experience of East Coast Binocular repairs? I sent in my Zeiss HT 8x42 bins almost five months ago (July) with a broken focus wheel that required a part from Germany. Every time I phone, they never seem sure where the binocular is, and never call back with an update. It really does seem as if they've lost them as I can't understand the delay. In the end, they said they couldn't get parts from Germany and say they have sent them to Germany, but I have no paper trail or evidence of this. This is a prized item for me, and every time I ring I just get the feeling the item isn't coming back... has anyone else experienced this / getting back an item they've sent off for repairs?

Ben

Hi Benedict,

Gary ( t/a East Coast Binocular Repairs ) is a member here on BF and has earned a glowing reference from his decades of experience as a repair technician with Leica Sports Optics and Zeiss.

As you've stated, the unit has been sent to Germany for attention as he is unable to obtain the parts required. It is most likely that all communications go through him as their UK service centre..... I dont know. I'm certain he would provide you with a reference or job number, maybe even a contact in Germany, as you've requested, if you intend to contact them directly.

I'm not quite sure what the aim of your post is ( accepting that 5 months is a lengthy period without resolve ) but please do let us know the outcome of your repair.

Hope you are reunited with your binoculars soon. Meanwhile there are one or two useful and recent threads involving ECBR if you search the BF site.

Regards, Pat

though ive not used garry's services he has a good reputation on here so i would advise to make comments direct to garry to see whats happend and not complain on a public forum

though ive not used garry's services he has a good reputation on here so i would advise to make comments direct to garry to see whats happend and not complain on a public forum
Seems like they're sharing their experience not solely complaining per se -- where else are discussions between multiple individuals to take place except on a public "forum" ?

He learned about Gary because he addressed a public forum. And, generally speaking, he has the right to complain.

Unless I misread something, it sounds as if he has already done that.

Unless I misread something, it sounds as if he has already done that.
Gary has never done any work for me. But he is one of only a handful of so-called “technicians” I would trust. Like every other repair man who is worth his salt, Gary is probably up to his ears and alligators!

Bill

I am curious, why not send them direct to Zeiss for repair ?
ECBR is the accredited Zeiss repair centre. Just for the record, I've had nothing but exceptional service from Gary in the past, I'm sure there is a rational explanation for what has happened in this instance.

I had a bino check and recollection from Gary a few years back with no issue. I contacted him a few months ago about the possible mirror fixing of some swifts Audubon, he told me that he was fully booked and to get back to him in a few months. Seems that as there are now so few people able to offer this kind of service, they are rather busy. Hope you get a reply soon.

Peter

Thanks everyone, I will call again to see if I can get to the bottom of the delay - my comment did not intend to cast any personal aspersions but merely to flag a situation that is very problematic and ask for thoughts. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I had a bino check and recollection from Gary a few years back with no issue. I contacted him a few months ago about the possible mirror fixing of some swifts Audubon, he told me that he was fully booked and to get back to him in a few months. Seems that as there are now so few people able to offer this kind of service, they are rather busy. Hope you get a reply soon.

Peter
Peter, for your Swift, you could try the guy who does the optics on The Repair Shop. Action Optics.

In relation to the post above - Richard worked on my Swift 766 some years back (not a standard service either - it involved increasing focus beyond infinity which had been only a little, but noticeably so, inadequate for me). Would definitely recommend.

I sent a pair of Zeiss 7X42 Classics to Gary a couple of weeks ago for a service. I posted them on a Wednesday and collected them the following Tuesday. I've used Gary on a few occasions now and cannot speak highly enough of him. A true expert.

This may be more of a lack of parts in existence even at Zeiss. There was a member on here who had a LeicaUV HD+ and the ring/bushing behind the objective lens became discolored. He sent it to Leica and they either said it could be a long wait, or they did not have the part. In the end they gave him a replacement. In that case the binocular was still produced, the HT is not.
Perhaps the manufacturers have common parts in stock that are more frequently needed and lack of surplus of other parts less frequently needed in stock, (have to be made). I have noticed this in the HVAC business during and right after covid, it is slowly coming back - increased parts surplus, though not out of the woods yet.

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has had any recent experience of East Coast Binocular repairs? I sent in my Zeiss HT 8x42 bins almost five months ago (July) with a broken focus wheel that required a part from Germany. Every time I phone, they never seem sure where the binocular is, and never call back with an update. It really does seem as if they've lost them as I can't understand the delay. In the end, they said they couldn't get parts from Germany and say they have sent them to Germany, but I have no paper trail or evidence of this. This is a prized item for me, and every time I ring I just get the feeling the item isn't coming back... has anyone else experienced this / getting back an item they've sent off for repairs?

Ben
I am currently experiencing problems with the return of my binoculars, East coast told me "zeiss" had said they couldn't repair my binoculars and had offered a brand new pair for a considerable discount, that was very early October, i have called a few times to chase east coast up and every time i get the feeling i am not going to see my old binoculars back or get any new ones.
not sure what to do next
john

I am currently experiencing problems with the return of my binoculars, East coast told me "zeiss" had said they couldn't repair my binoculars and had offered a brand new pair for a considerable discount, that was very early October, i have called a few times to chase east coast up and every time i get the feeling i am not going to see my old binoculars back or get any new ones.
not sure what to do next
john
Have you expressed and confirmed a wish to take up the offer regarding a new pair or hinoculars or are you wanting your old unit returned unrepaired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back