• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to digiscoping - need advice! (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone!

I've only recently found out about digiscoping and am eager to get started! I would very much appreciate any advice you can give me with regards to what I can do with the camera I have - A Sony CyberShot DSC-H2 (Details here). It's a compact superzoom camera.

From what i've read I may have a few problems as it has a large lens, fixed to the camera, I think i might have a few problems pointing / attaching it to a telescope (i've got to buy one of them too). I'm on a budget called 'overdraft' so you can appreciate I can't buy a better camera, or a really expensive telescope. Do you think i'll get any results digiscoping with my Cybershot? I have thought maybe i'd be better off using a cheaper compact digital, one with little zoom but more pixels, i can't buy one right now but may be able to borrow one. I put most of my photos on the web, so whilst i'd like to be able to take print quality ones, i'd be happy if any photos i take are just good enough for the web.

I've seen a few National Geographic branded telescopes on ebay, has anyone any idea if they'd be useful to me?

I hope to hear from some of you if you've any tips. Many thanks.

MattB :)

Your camera will be little use for digiscoping as the objective lens is so large. I've tried a similar type camera with my Kowa scope and the results were infinitely worse the results I get with my compact Canon A540.
Your thoughts about a small compact with lots of pixels are correct, I use my camera on 3x zoom for most of my digiscoping as I have a 32x eyepiece on the scope, ideally I'd like a smaller mag eyepiece for the scope so I could up the mag on the camera.
When it comes to scopes, ED glass is almost a must for digiscoping as you need all the light through the scope you can get.

Update - which camera now?

In light of your advice i'm going to get myself a new camera just for digiscoping (i'll worry about the scope later). I'm looking at 3 models in the £30-£60 bracket:

The Samsung "S760" 7.2m pixel digital camera £55
3x optical zoom. 3x digital zoom. 2.4in LCD screen. Face detection, red-eye reduction, ISO 1000 high sensitivity. Video with sound. Image stabilizer. 11Mb internal memory. SD card expansion slot. 2 x AA batteries.

Praktica "DCZ 7.4" 7m pixel digital camera £59
3x optical zoom. 5x digital zoom. 2.4in LCD. 10.5Mb internal memory - SD card expansion slot. 15 scene modes, video with sound at 30fps, self timer. Includes: USB/AV out, AA batteries, case, strap and software.

Praktica "Slimpix 5250" 5m pixel digital camera £39
4x digital zoom. 2.4in TFT colour screen. 32Mb internal memory. SD card expansion slot. Ultra-slim with sliding lens cover. Webcam and video with sound. Includes: manual, USB cable, case, batteries and CD software.

I'd very much appreciate your opinions on which camera would be most suitable, and if they'll be attachable to a telescope.

Thanks for reading B :)

Just thought i'd update you on my progress. I've ordered a Wetekom 18 to 36x spotting scope with digiscoping adaptor for just £34.99 new! I'm waiting for it to arrive, and then i'll borrow a compact. I'm really looking forward to it, i'll be sure to share my first images with you, there's a few cormorants in Aylesbury that I want to capture!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back