• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura (1 Viewer)

Alf King

Can anyone provide up to date information about accessing the Jandia plains on Fuerteventura? The new road development seems to have cut off direct access from the South and I can never seem to find the correct, or at least drivable track from the La Pared road.

Any detailed information would be most welcome.

Thanks FT. Sadly age means that these old legs don't carry me quite as far as they used to so I am looking for driveable access to get me a little closer to the key sites.

Alf, This was the only good access point I noticed form the road. I did stick to walking along a track but was not looking at it from the point of view of driving it - I don't remember it being too bad so give it a go but go carefully as I can't guarantee its suitability and in any case it will very much depend on the ground clearance of your car.

Can anyone provide up to date information about accessing the Jandia plains on Fuerteventura? The new road development seems to have cut off direct access from the South and I can never seem to find the correct, or at least drivable track from the La Pared road.

Any detailed information would be most welcome.

Hi Alf, we were there at the end of May for a week. I drove up the FV-605 to La Pared which is on the right just before Costa Calma. There is a turn off a couple of miles up on the left to Pista Pueblo del Mar. if you turn left there you can follow some tracks into the desert which will save your legs a bit. I had lots of Black-bellied Sandgrouse and Coursers there but didn't see Bustards on the two visits. I did get them in the north of the island though.
Hope this helps.

Thanks to both of you.

Previously I have tried driving the road towards Pista Pueblo del Mar and found it a bit tricky, giving up after about 1km - I suppose that it depends upon what the weather had been like in previous months. At one time it used to be possible to access the lains from just west of Costa Calma but the road extensions seemed to have cut off this access on my last visit.

I had bustards and courser on the Tindaya plains, the latter more obvious than the former, and sandgrouse in good numbers at the Embalse de los Molinos. The chat was fairly easy to find in a number of spots as well.

From the roundabout at the top of the town, take the road that goes behind the petrol station called Calle Puerto De La Cebada. At the end turn left onto Calle Playa De La Jaqueta and dont bear right at the top, instead go straight ahead onto the dirt track. Once you get to the new Autovia, turn right and follow the track for about half a Km, and theres a tunnel that will take you under the new road, and onto the plains.. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/2...745,-14.228957/@28.1661147,-14.2305638,17.26z

From the roundabout at the top of the town, take the road that goes behind the petrol station called Calle Puerto De La Cebada. At the end turn left onto Calle Playa De La Jaqueta and dont bear right at the top, instead go straight ahead onto the dirt track. Once you get to the new Autovia, turn right and follow the track for about half a Km, and theres a tunnel that will take you under the new road, and onto the plains.. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/2...745,-14.228957/@28.1661147,-14.2305638,17.26z

That's great advice Miami; noted and thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back