• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox 8x25 Macroscope (1 Viewer)

Opinions vary - depending on what you are using it for. I find it best on a tripod or other support used for close up work. Great for the insects, miniature snails etc., that thrive on the local downland.

In general it doesn't make a good binocular substitute for me but I have found that when its all you have on a motorway service area it can make all the difference between an identification or not.

It is small and strongly built and much better than some low end scopes and monoculars. It feels a lot stronger than the Pentax Papilio which is much the same market sector, the pentax is possibly nicer to use but far more fragile and larger.

In the past there have been some earlier threads on these - not to be confused with the Minox miniature monoculars which no one seems to like?

If you are buying it for its close up abilities and general ruggedness with occasional longer range use I would suggest it may be what you want, if not I would be cautious.

N.B. If I were buying another I would be tempted by the all black version.

Thanks for the reply, i Would generally be using it for close ups really, as i
always have my bins (bushnell 8x43 elite) in my bag which have an acceptable close focus, i doubt i would use it for long range viewing, thanks for the tip on possibly using a tripod/support for it, i wish i was able to buy one now, but something i will have to save up the pennies for,.
Thanks again
:t:

Can only second what Iveljay says.
This is a decent product, optically much more comfortable to use than the typical 8x20 monocular, waterproof and with great close focus. Mechanical and optical quality is very good. The downside is that it is pretty fat, so it is not a pants pocket carry.
It serves as a portable tele loupe, great for museum visits and art exhibits. You can study the brush strokes on a painting from 5 feet away. The same holds true for nature watching., study a flower in macro without needing to be within 6 inches. Tripod is probably overkill unless you do sustained observations.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back