• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (2 Viewers)

Wow, the lil' owl and rubble pile is most impressive. To cite the great Richard Burton in ' Where Eagles Dare ' - '' Clever, very clever indeed ''!

Russ

Thanks all.

I think I'm done fiddling now. This is mostly a lot looser than I'm perhaps used to and I'm tempted to keep layering detail but I'm going to resist an leave well alone.

Mike

Attachments

• rubble-final.jpg
    rubble-final.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 85
  • rubble-det-final.jpg
    rubble-det-final.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 71
Thanks all.

I think I'm done fiddling now. This is mostly a lot looser than I'm perhaps used to and I'm tempted to keep layering detail but I'm going to resist an leave well alone.

Mike

Quite right too Mike, looks done from here. Rather like this one, the rocks are so very well done. Little Owl is practically your signature Mike, you do them so well and your understanding of them shines through in every piece. Someone ought to write a monogrpah of the species just to immortalize all your stunning paintings of these cracking little birds...

Looks just great Mike, in spite of what your family might think! I almost said something in my last comment about this being the type of painting where most likely you could always find something to fiddle with. I'm glad you've come to the point where you think it's done. I can almost feel the temptation to keep changing one little thing, then one more little thing, etc.

It's a painting with great subtlety and complexity I think. I did wonder if the bricks weren't a bit strong at first but now they've settled into a beautiful color harmony, along with everything else. Congratulations.

Excellent - something to look at all over the canvas, yet the focus remains true. Technically expert and artistically perfect. Smart!

quite agreed - every point on the picture is an enjoyable experience, but the composition is solid and always leads us back to Athena.

Thanks all.

Mike

Looks tip-top Mike....I like (sod the family, what do they know, eh? :-O)
Look at it again in a month with fresh eyes, that's what I do when I've given myself that luxury, unlike on my current piece! ;)

Thanks for all the comments on the lilowl. It's good to know that some people don't need for their owls to always be perched in a beautiful tree!

Having said that here's my latest 'bleeding edge' piece: A brace of partridge in a muddy field.

I'm pretty sure something like this has never been done before, I'm so avant garde! ;)

Mike

Attachments

• greybracelowres.jpg
    greybracelowres.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Gorgeous piece, Mike! I hate to break your bubble, but I've plowed this ground before. Many of my landscape paintings wind up looking like muddy fields...! :-O

Great. As you look at the thumbnail the male stands out, the female cryptic. Just like in real life. Lovely.

Well I wish I'd seen some of these in real life so I could make a comment on the crypticness. But the first thing I thought was: oh look there's a second one. So I think you've done a great job in accomplishing that.

Well I wish I'd seen some of these in real life so I could make a comment on the crypticness. But the first thing I thought was: oh look there's a second one. So I think you've done a great job in accomplishing that.

I agree, a wonderful painting Mike, another of your signature species. You do these so very well, a gorgeous scene...so very peaceful.

Cheers all. There's a fairly healthy population of greys round here and I'll often see one or two which grow to a small group once I start to see all the hidden ones!

Mike

Having said that here's my latest 'bleeding edge' piece: A brace of partridge in a muddy field.

I'm pretty sure something like this has never been done before, I'm so avant garde! ;)

Mike
You may well have a cheek-ful of tongue (ooo-err, missus) with these comments, but nothing will detract from the sheer beauty and honesty of the work. Regardless of individual interpretation and approach to image-making, there's nothing more important in the entire process than having Love for the subject - and that shines through in every brushstroke!
Gorgeous.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back