• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Birds of Europe" 1999 - Obsolete? (1 Viewer)

Blackstart

Saxophonus pinus
Hi all-

I have been using a well-worn copy of Svensson et al "Birds of Europe", Princeton, copyright 1999.

Does the most recent edition of this field guide (i guess Collins) include anything that isn't in the one I have?

Thanks.

-Adam

The Collins guide is by Svensson et al so I guess you have the same book, only in a US edition hence the different publisher. I believe there are some minor corrections in the most recent (paperback) editon of the Collins guide but the species covered are the same.

Stuart

I believe a new edition with new plates is under preparation as we speak....but could be a few years before it sees publication...
Particularly if they are working on it in specioes order - last thing I heard they were doing the plates for Little Shearwater...so they`ll have a way to go...

Thats good to know, Jason.

I do hope the Yellow-legged Gull group will get some expanded treatment. Though who knows what the taxonomy will look like at the time of publication.

-Adam

Hi all,
I too have heard that a new edition with new plates is planned, though quite how long this will take to reach fruition is anyone's guess?
I remember telling Killian about how I found it difficult, while looking for a 'blue' Snow Goose at the North Slob, to be sure if I had seen that bird or a hybrid Snow x White-front hybrid until the bird flew, revealing a tail band (never did see that bird, though got a white morph there later that winter). Think he said that a similar bird down there shortly after the publication of the Collins Guide had him thinking that perhaps more detail could be included on such a pitfall...but don't quote me!
Harry

Bluetail said:
Is Killian doing the new plates? I do hope so.

I'd hope both he and Dan Zetterström are doing them, don't think there's anything to choose between them, both exceptionally good artists. I'll be first in the queue if and when a new edition comes out but are they really redoing all the plates? Seems a bit unnecessary in the vast majority of cases. I'd rather KM and DZ combine forces with Sibley (as writer) to produce the definitive North American guide!!

E

PS: Stop name dropping, Harry ;-)

Edward said:
I'd hope both he and Dan Zetterström are doing them, don't think there's anything to choose between them, both exceptionally good artists.
To be honest, I'd forgotten that Dan Zetterström was involved when I posted. My excuse is that, as you point out, their styles are so well matched they look like the work of one person. Categorically no criticism of Dan Zetterström intended! Feel quite embarrassed now...

Bluetail said:
To be honest, I'd forgotten that Dan Zetterström was involved when I posted. My excuse is that, as you point out, their styles are so well matched they look like the work of one person. Categorically no criticism of Dan Zetterström intended! Feel quite embarrassed now...

Would be nice, however, if the two of them redid those plates of the North American songbirds. Those two plates are the only ones that really need a MAJOR redoing, I think. McQueen's art does not match the others' in this book.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back