• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binocular cameras ? (1 Viewer)

Bill2468

I currently have a olympus digital camera uz2100 with a 10x optical zoom and a nikon 8x egret binoculars. I hate to carry both items with me on birding walks. Does anyone have any experience with the binoculars with built in digital cameras?

BiLL

I'm sure someone on here has a pair.

On eBay, some of the results for "Digital Binoculars" were less than $100 for the combo, and most were only 1.3megapixels. Try bushnell.com. Their new InstantReplay digital binoculars are 2.1 megapixels for still pictures. Movies can also be taken. The entire digital binocular page of Bushnell.com is here: http://www.bushnell.com/productinfo/binoculars/image_capture.html

Hi, Bill,

Yes I have a pair of Viewcatcher 8 X 30, 1.3 Megapixel.

All I can say is that the results are disapointing for Birding, especially if you are trying to get a picture of small birds as you have to be about 30ft away as they have a fixed minimum focus, so it takes you all your time to find one and then you get disapointing results. If you have something the size of a Swan you are OK.
In fact there was one day I managed to fill the entire SD card up with 103 shots and there was only 2 I kept (both of Swans).
Saying that If you want them for scenery pictures you get some pretty good results.

The clarity when using them as Binoculars was very sharp (on my pair).

If you want to try them I would say try for a cheap pair on Ebay or hope that QVC has them on and you can try them out for 30 days and send them back if not happy.

Yeah, even though the picture quality is disappointing IMO, these devices might be the next big thing. We already have 8 megapixel digital SLRs, but maybe the digital camera makers should focus on making digital video cameras that record movies in resolutions greater than the ultra-tiny 320x240 resolution. Also, have both digital video cameras and digital binoculars catch up to digital still cameras (or not... someone think of the prices!).

My olympus C-740UZ is quite good, and has the same optical zoom magnification that yours does, Bill. The camera also has a 3x digital zoom, which I use the most frequently (I know, the digi-zoom quality is somewhat poor). But given the fact that it's also a video camera, I just love this camera! But even at 30x zoom (total zoom capabilities of this camera), the camera can't focus easily especially when I'm trying to focus on a bird on which the contrast of the feathers is not visible to the camera's focusing components... ending up with blurry pictures because the camera focused behind the bird...

gthang, to get your C740 to focus better, you might want to try changing its focus setting from "iESP" (the default) to "Spot". To do this, you use the menus as follows:
MODE MENU/CAMERA/AF MODE/iESP or SPOT. (this is for the C730, but I think they are the same). I always use SPOT; it gives much better control over what the camera is focusing on.

Also, concerning digital zoom, I believe it is better to take pictures WITHOUT using this feature and then, if you want to zoom in on a particular section of the image, use an imaging program like Paint Shop Pro to crop and/or enlarge the image. This is what digital zoom does anyway.

Rich

binocular / camera, search a waste of time !

Surfing the net looking for a good word or gallery of work done with a binoc/camera. Regret to say neither exist. They all seem to be high tech low quality toys. Almost tempted to get a cheaper one (640x480 resolution) just for pictures to store and view on line (and to tell myself they are just toys for big boys aned girls)

BiLL :bounce:

Hi Bill

It`s only a matter of time before a high resolution digital camera-binocular comes out.Sensors are getting smaller all the time,their was talk at one stage about Kowa bringing out a telescope with a built in camera,but I think that`s been shelved for the time being.

Regards Steve.

The only enticing thing I have seen is the item by Nikon that connects to the eye piece and sends image to a monitor or other recorder.

BiLL

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back