• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos 2016 (1 Viewer)

Influx of starlings and pintails 06 - 08th November 2016

Most reports currently coming from the Kalloni Salt Pans area.
A single golden plover and common starlings. along with a build up of corn buntings, including a single leucristic corn bunting.
A group of northern pintail also reported from Kalloni Salt Pans on 8th November.

Images by permission of Lesvos, photographer Petros Tsakmakis, with thanks.

Thanks to Eleni Galinou's "Lesvos Bird News" Facebook group.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Golden Plover - (Pluvialis apricaria) Kalloni Salt Pans 061116 01.JPG
    Golden Plover - (Pluvialis apricaria) Kalloni Salt Pans 061116 01.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 69
  • Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) Kalloni SP 081116.JPG
    Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) Kalloni SP 081116.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 97
Torrential rains flood wetlands.

Overnight flooding has topped up the Kalloni Pool and surrounding wetlands (29/11/16) - see photos below by kind permission of VASILIS VOGIATZIS
Several dalmatian pelicans still showing on the Salt Pans along with an influx of ruddy shellduck and flamingo.
More footage here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8U9I6ylqow&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• Skala Kalloni 291116.JPG
    Skala Kalloni 291116.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Kalloni Pool 291116.JPG
    Kalloni Pool 291116.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Lesvos storm damage 04 Dec

Nothing being reported right now bird wise.
However thanks to local Lesvos Photographer Petros Tsakmakis for giving permission to show the photos below of the damaged caused by flooding overnight on 3rd / 4th December.
1) Track to the racetrack opposite the Salt Works
2) the main track through Kalloni Salt pans
3) the flooded Alykes wetland
4 & 5) Tsiknias River ford

Attachments

• Kalloni Salt Pans 1 041216.JPG
    Kalloni Salt Pans 1 041216.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Kalloni Salt Pans 2.JPG
    Kalloni Salt Pans 2.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Kalloni Salt Pans 3.JPG
    Kalloni Salt Pans 3.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Tsiknias River 4.JPG
    Tsiknias River 4.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Tsiknias River 5.JPG
    Tsiknias River 5.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 84
Mute Swans at Kalloni Salt Pans 12/12/16

Over the past few days a pair of juvenile mute swans have been present at Kalloni Salt Pans.
Photo with permission of Eleni Galinou .

Attachments

• Mute swans 121216.JPG
    Mute swans 121216.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 59
Wow sounds like they had a heck of a storm. Hope everyone ok. Already getting excited about my next trip there. Decided to go for 3 weeks from Birmingham on May 6th. Reckon there will still be loads to see and photograph. Thanks for your input on here as I am an anti FB chap. Kind regards Dennis

Wow sounds like they had a heck of a storm. Hope everyone ok. Already getting excited about my next trip there. Decided to go for 3 weeks from Birmingham on May 6th. Reckon there will still be loads to see and photograph. Thanks for your input on here as I am an anti FB chap. Kind regards Dennis
Thank you Dennis, it's good to know that someone is reading.
Personally I'm disapointed that those with more knowledge than me
have not posted on Birdforum.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all who have followed this thread.
:king:B :)
*<[:{)

New sightings for December 2016

A Slavonian Grebe was reported at Kalloni Bay off Skala Polichnitos on 16/12/16.
If confirmed this would first island record for the species on Lesvos.
RefLEleftherios Kakalis
Another juvenile Mute swan (Cygnus olor) at Metochi Lake on 15/12
Ref:Giorgis Laskaridis
A small number of Dunlin along with a snipe and a couple of redshanks were seen at Metochi Lake pans on 18/12/16
Ref:Giorgis Francois

Last edited:
We learn today that the chief contribuor and promoter (of recent years) of Ecotourism on Lesvos, Steve Dudley
has been suffering with a long term illness, which has prevented him contributing to Lesvos Birding News.
Steve has also announced that his health also prevents him from producing his annual Lesvos Bird Report, a report which has demanded a substantial committment in man hours, from him in the past.
2015's Lesvos Bird Report wil therefore be the last from Steve.
He adds that he hopes that Lesvos Facebook Birders will remain the main conduit for bird news on the island
and appologises for the fact that, although he hopes to recover sufficiently to bird the island in 2017, although he will not be
operating his bird tours next year, mainly as a result of TC's decsion not to schedule flights until 6th May 2017.
I'm sure that anyone reading this will join me in thanking Steve for his committment to Lesvos Island
and wish him well for a full and speedy recovery.
NB details as reported on Lesvos Facebook Birders today.

Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis)

A nice find at the end of the year, were the 2 Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis) which have been photographed and reported
near the Kalloni Salt Pans on 27/12/16.
I suppose that there will be a question as to whether these are escapes?
Photographs by Christos Samaras via Eleni Galinou and her Lesvos Bird News group on Facebook.

Attachments

• red-breasted geese kalloni sp 271216 02.JPG
    red-breasted geese kalloni sp 271216 02.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 115
  • red-breasted geese kalloni sp 271216 01.JPG
    red-breasted geese kalloni sp 271216 01.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 109
I should also mention that, over the past couple of days (reported on 26/12) Kalloni salt Pans has also seen an influx of common starlings along with a couple of lapwing's.

Bewick's Swan,White-fronted Geese & Bewick's Swan

A great end to the year as :
Yesterday (31/12/16) Eleni Galinou relocated the red-fronted goose along with
2 x White-fronted Geese (Anser albifrons) and two more mute swans,in freezing conditions at Kalloni Salt Pans.

On 27/12/16 at Kalloni Salt Pans Giorgis Laskaridis, photographed a Bewick's Swan (Cygnus columbianus). Only the second record for Lesvos the previous one being for 4 birds in 2006.

It is thought that freezing conditions in the East of the region have driven these rare visitors there.

Thanks to Paul Manning for highlighting these records and Eleni and Giorgis for recording them on Facebook, Lesvos Bird News.

Happy New Year Everybody.
:king::t:B :)
I would be interested in your opinions as to whether to open another thread for 2017 ?

Attachments

• Red fronted goose Kalloni Salt Pans 311216 01 E Galinou.JPG
    Red fronted goose Kalloni Salt Pans 311216 01 E Galinou.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 109
  • White  fronted goose Kalloni Salt Pans 311216 01 E Galinou.JPG
    White fronted goose Kalloni Salt Pans 311216 01 E Galinou.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Lesvos Rare Bird Records 2016 Required

A message posted today from Lesvos Bird records Committee:
Lesvos Bird Records Comitee

Have you seen a rare bird on Lesvos in 2016? Please report it to our Commitee by April 10th!

Find out about the species wanted here:

http://lesvosbirdrecords.blogspot.gr/…/lbrc-species-list.ht…
LBRC SPECIES LIST
Members of the Committee work on Lesvos Birding's ' A checklist of the birds of Lesvos ' to produce an official list of birds recorded on L...
lesvosbirdrecords.blogspot.com

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back