• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos 2016 (1 Viewer)

Lesvos May 2016/2017

Nice pictures Mick. Glad to finally meet although it was only in the airport. Big thanks for all your posts. Really feel for the people of Lesvos now all the Wildlife interested people will now mostly be back. Very very quiet. Again many Thanks
Phil

I feel exactly the same Phil it was lovely to put so many faces to the people we are acquainted with through Birdforum and other social media.
Unfortunately we only had the internet in the Anaxos Hotel dining and bar area,so it became difficult to keep up dating this thread,using an ipad,while we were actually there.
Unfortunately as you are aware the lack of interest from birders this spring has resulted in Thomas Cook cancelling their April 2017 flights ( packages from Gatwick only from 06/05/217).
In addition Manchester flights have been ended by TC's from 2017.
It is also very likely that Thomas Cook will stop flying there completely from 2018, the only route left being to fly via Athens.
This and the actions of other carriers from North Western Europe has spelt disaster for the economy of Lesvos. Coupled with the ongoing problem of refugees from the Syria, Asia and the Middle East , it's hard to see any signs of an immediate recovery for the islanders.
It won't just hit the Hoteliers and Taverna owners but in addition all those who service tourism: suppliers, farmers, car rental, building and engineering services.
Despite all their problems, we found the welcome of local people warmer than ever, however the empty tavernas and bars told their own story.
I feel sad that so many of our regular Lesvos birders didn't show up in 2016 for one reason or another as the impact has become significant for travellers there in future.

It's interesting to note that while UK bookings to Spain are 25% up , there are reports in today's papers of some discontent about the numbers of tourists by Spanish nationals.
This is exactly the kind of negative media attention that feeds the paranoia of UK holiday makers and has
resulted in the collapse of the Aegean Market.

Journalists should be more responsible in their reporting.
Highlighting local incidents and portraying them as a more widespread problem,does neither Greece,Spain
or Turkey ant favours.
I assume that this is the source of these reports.
http://spanishnewstoday.com/palma-r...-which-is-destroying-their-lives_74103-a.html

Lesvos May 2016 images

Some captures of shrikes, shared here.
Red backed and woodchat being perhaps the most common and confiding.
As you might expect, they all became more difficult and less confiding beyond the middle of may.
The first three photos, male red backed, lesser grey and woodchat, all from the Faneromeni area
while the last two, female red backed and masked, from near Kremasti bridge.

Attachments

• LQ Shrike red-backed shrike (Lanius collurio) Faneromeni Lesvos 020516 01.jpg
    LQ Shrike red-backed shrike (Lanius collurio) Faneromeni Lesvos 020516 01.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 88
  • A Lesser Grey Shrike (Lanius minor)  Faneromeni Lesvos 060516 01LQ.jpg
    A Lesser Grey Shrike (Lanius minor) Faneromeni Lesvos 060516 01LQ.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 101
  • lq Shrike woodchat shrike (Lanius senator) Faneromeni Lesvos 020516 01.jpg
    lq Shrike woodchat shrike (Lanius senator) Faneromeni Lesvos 020516 01.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 93
  • lq red-backed shrike (Lanius collurio) Kremasti Lesvos 140516.jpg
    lq red-backed shrike (Lanius collurio) Kremasti Lesvos 140516.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 87
  • LQ Shrike masked shrike (Lanius nubicus)  Kremasti Lesvos 170516.jpg
    LQ Shrike masked shrike (Lanius nubicus) Kremasti Lesvos 170516.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Faneromeni "back fields" worth a visit.

Refer to map below.
Take the trail that bears right from the main Faneromeni upper ford road, up a hill, then after about 250m, take the right fork to a small chapel on a hillside, out into rocky open countryside with splendid views out to sea. A little before the chapel on the left, there was a small olive grove with spotted flies and an icterine warbler. All along the track we were accompanied by red backed and the occasional woodchat shrike.
Ref photo #2
Faneromeni view from the Chapel on the hillside.The ortolan was on the rocky outcrop on the left, along with cretzchmar's, rock nuthatch, black eared and northern wheatear,.The track continues to a small olive grove where we saw olive tree warbler and sombre tit.
Ref photo #3
The pines adjacent the chapel held 30 or so all female black headed bunting. I guess that earlier in the season there might be flycatchers and warblers in there too.

Attachments

• Faneromeni.JPG
    Faneromeni.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Faneromeni back fields Lesvos 040516 LQ 1.jpg
    Faneromeni back fields Lesvos 040516 LQ 1.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Faneromeni back fields Lesvos 040516 LQ.jpg
    Faneromeni back fields Lesvos 040516 LQ.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Bunting ortolan bunting (Emberiza hortulana) Faneromeni Lesvos 040516 LQ_edited-1.jpg
    Bunting ortolan bunting (Emberiza hortulana) Faneromeni Lesvos 040516 LQ_edited-1.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Bunting ortolan bunting (Emberiza hortulana)Faneromeni Lesvos 040516 LQ.jpg
    Bunting ortolan bunting (Emberiza hortulana)Faneromeni Lesvos 040516 LQ.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 77
Faneromeni Fords

Faneromeni Fords were stone dry by 16th May.
See photos below, for views up and down stream.

Attachments

• Faneromeni upper ford Lesvos 160516 LQ 1.jpg
    Faneromeni upper ford Lesvos 160516 LQ 1.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Faneromeni upper ford Lesvos 160516 02lq_edited-1.jpg
    Faneromeni upper ford Lesvos 160516 02lq_edited-1.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 104
New record of Great Spotted Cuckoo (Clamator glandarius)

A first year Great Spotted Cuckoo (Clamator glandarius), reported in Molyvos, Olive groves, behind Liokampi today 19/06/16.
Apparently the bird was quite active and vocal, while two hooded crows were apparently showing parenting behaviour.
If this is proven to be the case, it could be an important record for Lesvos.

Great Spotted Cuckoo (Clamator glandarius)

Apparently there are at least 3 juveniles being fed by their parasitic Hooded crow parents at this Molivos site, still this morning.
Images below are courtesy of Eleonora Pouwels‎, a Molivos resident who it appears, first discovered them.
If accepted this would be a first breeding record for the island, although it has been believed for sometime that it might occur, via hooded crows.

Attachments

• GSC 2.JPG
    GSC 2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 67
  • GSC 1.JPG
    GSC 1.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 81
Great Spotted Cuckoo (Clamator glandarius) Molivos 20/06/16

Thanks to Mike King for these images, taken this afternoon 20/06/16

Attachments

• GS Cuckoo feeding Mike King 200616 01.JPG
    GS Cuckoo feeding Mike King 200616 01.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 75
  • GS Cuckoo feeding Mike King 200616 02.JPG
    GS Cuckoo feeding Mike King 200616 02.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 77
  • GS Cuckoo feeding Mike King 200616 03.JPG
    GS Cuckoo feeding Mike King 200616 03.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 82
Breeding record of Great Spotted Cuckoo (Clamator glandarius) Molivos

Another unique Lesvos image from Eleonora Pouwels , showing parasitic hooded crow parent feeding a juvenile Great Spotted Cuckoo, at Molivos on 21/06/16.

Attachments

• GS Cuckoo feeding Eleonora 210616 01.JPG
    GS Cuckoo feeding Eleonora 210616 01.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 80
Many thanks Mick for continuing posting the sightings and site info etc. I would dearly like to think that I will return to Lesvos somehow despite the tour companies pulling out.

Like Mick I am a regular Lesbos visitor and feel really sorry and concerned for the people of the island with the Tourist industry just about collapsing.

Its very easy to visit the island using scheduled airlines and booking a hotel yourself. If anyone is thinking of visiting Lesbos and would like some details of how I and many others will be doing it next year then please just post on here. Sadly Tour companies are restricting dates and flights next year so this option is the only one open for main migration period. I've done it this way every time part from once, this year when the tour company prices were so low.

It really does not work out more expensive if you book early. Lesbos really does need all the help it can get.

Phil

Pelicans

Pelican season has started on Lesvos and the Kalloni Salt Pans! Had my very first single DALMATIAN PELICAN on 11/6 and again on the following days. Then on 20/6 I found at least 3 birds (not sure if more around) and today 25/6 I had 5.

Other migrants recorded (since 20/6) are: Green Sandpipers, Slender-billed Gulls together with Black-headed Gulls, Redshanks, Greenshank, Spotted Redshank.

The birds on the photo are not landing or starting to fly, it was too windy again today (still very hot!).

Attachments

• 99X_0748 crop kai small ftera.jpg
    99X_0748 crop kai small ftera.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 81
hampers;3418057 Its very easy to visit the island using scheduled airlines and booking a hotel yourself. If anyone is thinking of visiting Lesbos and would like some details of how I and many others will be doing it next year then please just post on here. Phil[/QUOTE said:
Hi Phil, may go next year but we have always done it as a package before.

I take it you use Aegean airline flights via Athens and book separately with the hotel?
Any tips appreciated.

Sean

Hi Phil, may go next year but we have always done it as a package before.

I take it you use Aegean airline flights via Athens and book separately with the hotel?
Any tips appreciated.

Sean

Sean
Yes that's exactly what I do. You can either approach the hotels direct or use the likes of Booking.Com. In theory should be cheaper directs therapy premium to the listing companies. I have used Billy's, Lesvos Car Hire and the one listed on Steve Dudley's site Tsalis. All have been fine. Was very little different to package prices in past not sure next year now with £ but it has plenty of time to recover. There are hotels and appts available. Guess you know the locations, I stay is Skala Kallonis. HAve found Aegean very good. Usually get the late evening flight and first out of Athens to the island, gets in early and gives full day birding. Bit tired after being top all night. also not tied to specific start end days. Think have covered it all but if anything please ask, others may also be able to add.

Cheers

Phil

Many thanks Phil, hadn't thought of booking.com. Have used Billy's and Tsialis, both fine, and stayed at Pasiphae and what was the Kalloni II, plus Petra a couple of times. I get the impression the hotels are of a similar quality.

Feel desperately sorry for all those working in the tourist industry there but I think there's real hope for an improvement soon.

Many thanks Phil, hadn't thought of booking.com. Have used Billy's and Tsialis, both fine, and stayed at Pasiphae and what was the Kalloni II, plus Petra a couple of times. I get the impression the hotels are of a similar quality.

Feel desperately sorry for all those working in the tourist industry there but I think there's real hope for an improvement soon.

I certainly hope so, many of the regulars see people as friends now and all feel the same. If I can help any please just let me know. I agree about the hotels.

Cheers, Phil

Broad Billed Sandpiper, Kalloni Salt Pans Main Channel 20/07/16

Wed 20th July 2016
Eleni Galinou has reported that yesterday morning, she found a Broad Billed Sandpiper - Limicola falcinellus - "down the SW corner shore" of the main channel/Salt works road, at the Kalloni Salt Pan's. It seems it was also accompanied by at least one wood sand.

Hi , Mick. I'm hearing that Thomas Cook are reinstating the Manchester flight next year . Nothing on their website yet but excellent news if true..

Hi , Mick. I'm hearing that Thomas Cook are reinstating the Manchester flight next year . Nothing on their website yet but excellent news if true..

That's great news if it's true - we may get to the island next year, then. Will await further news with interest. In fact, I'm going to email my travel agent now!
Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back