• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupid questions, maybe (1 Viewer)

bluebirder20

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Kowa ED 66mm lens and now I'm hoping to find a camera to go with it.

Here are my stupid questions.

1) Do I need a camera with an ED lens? If I do not have an ED lens, will it nullify the effect of the ED lens on my scope?
2) Does the Nikon coolpix p310 have filter threads? I can't seem to find the answer.
3) Would the p310 (or any other camera ~$200 [got any recommendations?]) work with a 20-60 zoom eyepiece? I can only afford one eyepiece--either the 30x or the zoom. What should I do?

Thank you for any help.
Brad

I have a 25 to 50 eyepiece on my Swarovski telescope , and use a " phoneskope " adapter on my iPhone 4s .
On the zoom setting , you get the photo inside a dark ring ( which you can Photoshop out ) but this doesn't occur on the lower setting . With the iPhone you can zoom on the phone as well and I have got some good ( for me !) pictures at long range . I don't know if this helps .
Regards
alring

Thank you!

I have figured out that the coolpix doesn't have threads. I might try to jerry rig an adapter. I'm not too worried about vignetting, because, like you said, it can be edited out.

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Kowa ED 66mm lens and now I'm hoping to find a camera to go with it.

Here are my stupid questions.

1) Do I need a camera with an ED lens? If I do not have an ED lens, will it nullify the effect of the ED lens on my scope?
2) Does the Nikon coolpix p310 have filter threads? I can't seem to find the answer.
3) Would the p310 (or any other camera ~$200 [got any recommendations?]) work with a 20-60 zoom eyepiece? I can only afford one eyepiece--either the 30x or the zoom. What should I do?

Thank you for any help.
Brad

Brad,
The Nikon P 300 series will do a good job for you. The Vortex PS 100 Adapter is very reasonably priced.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back