• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds seen in Tasmania/Great Ocean Road (1 Viewer)

mjohnson0728

Please confirm/identify

1. Pacific Black Duck (with green speculum) - confirm - seen Great Ocean Road
2. ?? - identify - seen Hobart Tasmania
3. Black Currawong - confirm
4. Tasmania Scrubwren - confirm

Thank you in advance.

Michael

Attachments

• P1076540.jpg
    P1076540.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • P1077403.jpg
    P1077403.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 48
  • P1077865.jpg
    P1077865.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • P1078037.jpg
    P1078037.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
I think you're other id's are ok except the currawong. Presumably it's on Tasmania, and is the local form of Grey Currawong (note white undertail coverts)

Agreed with all including Larry's pick of Grey =Clinking Currawong, the vocally very distinct Tasmanian form.

The top of the bill looks very downcurved on the currawong..... would be good to know location for certain as that looks much better for Pied for me.

Birds seen in Sydney and Tasmania

The top of the bill looks very downcurved on the currawong..... would be good to know location for certain as that looks much better for Pied for me.

Sorry guys, this currawong was seen in the botanical gardens cafe grounds in Sydney, so is he the Pied?

Please identify the following currawongs.

Photo 1 & 2 are the same currawong - was seen at the botanical gardens in Hobart.

Photo 3 currawong was seen in the parking lot by Cradle Mountain, Tasmania.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Michael

Attachments

• Black Currawong (1).jpeg
    Black Currawong (1).jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Black Currawong (2).jpeg
    Black Currawong (2).jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Black Currawong.jpeg
    Black Currawong.jpeg
    810.6 KB · Views: 17
Yes, Sydney one is Pied.

The extra photos that are from Tassie illustrate the differences nicely. The first two from Hobart are Grey Currawong 'Clinking ssp.' , and illustrates the rather straight top edge of the bill (which is what made me think your original bird was maybe not from Tas, as it had an obvious curvature which speaks against grey.)

The last bird is a Black Currawong - curvature on top edge of bill similar to pied, and no white vent.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back