• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Animal Photography with the Canon SX60HS (1 Viewer)

I bought the Nikon P900 and am glad to say user error has tailed right off; I'm over the moon and enjoying photography again. I turn it on, think about the shot, press the button and get really nice results, in contrast to the stress-ridden 6 month battle I had with the SX60
Please, let's not make this another "some other camera is better than the SX60" thread and focus on existing owners using the SX60. See my first post in this thread. There are other threads here on the forums that can battle for the minds of prospective buyers or put-down people who already have the SX60.

Last edited:
I've followed all the tips I can find on using the SX60 and mine still bounces about. I'd love to know how I'm using it wrong?

I've followed all the tips I can find on using the SX60 and mine still bounces about. I'd love to know how I'm using it wrong?
Are you using the teleconverters (1.6x or 2.0x)?

Are you using the button on the side of the lens barrel for stabilizing long shots? (The name of the feature escapes me since I stopped using it, but it does help stabilize if you need it.)

Might be able to provide tips from my brief use of these features.

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,

I got my sx60 in October and have always had issues with the IS. These days handheld I mostly just use it on full optical zoom rather than using the teleconverters.
I habitually use the stabilization button on the barrel, usually I half depress the shutter button first. I am surprised to hear that you don't use that IS assist button anymore.
I am another big fan of the video performance and also have some stills that I'm pleased with on the tripod.
Got a bit discouraged recently with handheld long shots - birds usually gone by the time the IS has settled down, but if it's fine here tomorrow I'll probably give it another go.

I appreciate your idea of a dedicated thread trying to help fellow sx60 users get the best out of the camera. :t:

Has anyone checked if there is a firmware update for the SX60? From what I've ready since the SX60 came out this IS issue has often struck me as sounding like a software issue.

im finding very few critters that don't need the converter,i own a manfrotto tripod but that just adds to the weight ,now that the weather is getting better here im tending to lie on the ground to get that essential stability

Attachments

• redsq.jpg
    redsq.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 188
Please, let's not make this another "some other camera is better than the SX60" thread and focus on existing owners using the SX60. See my first post in this thread. There are other threads here on the forums that can battle for the minds of prospective buyers or put-down people who already have the SX60.

Kevin, I was doing no such thing. I have no axe to grind about any camera. I was responding directly to a comment about user error on the SW60 since I am someone who has had great difficulty with it and have had several discussions with Birdboy and others on the subject.

You have completely misconstrued my meaning and intent and anyway my comments weren't directed toward you. I realize you started the thread, but as far as I'm aware you don't actually own it

Last edited:

I was offended by the comment about user error too, but chose not to respond since it seemed superfluous to do so. These comments demand a response though, since they imply that everyone who speaks ill of the SX60 is either incompetent, mean-spirited or trying to persuade prospective camera buyers to choose a particular brand.

Considering the zeal with which you defend a camera that many competent people have found to be difficult (if not impossible) to use, I have to say I find myself wondering what your motives are in starting this thread and trying to exclude people who's opinions differ from yours.

Anyone has the right to comment on this or any other thread regardless of whether they own the SX60 or not. Potential buyers are mostly interested in a balanced view and not just a 'fan club' view.

some more shots from yesterday

Attachments

• reds.JPG
    reds.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 98
  • reedbunt.jpg
    reedbunt.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 100
  • blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 75
  • wigeon.jpg
    wigeon.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 108
  • coalt.JPG
    coalt.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 114
Anyone has the right to comment on this or any other thread regardless of whether they own the SX60 or not. Potential buyers are mostly interested in a balanced view and not just a 'fan club' view.

I was offended by the comment about user error too, but chose not to respond since it seemed superfluous to do so. These comments demand a response though, since they imply that everyone who speaks ill of the SX60 is either incompetent, mean-spirited or trying to persuade prospective camera buyers to choose a particular brand.

Considering the zeal with which you defend a camera that many competent people have found to be difficult (if not impossible) to use, I have to say I find myself wondering what your motives are in starting this thread and trying to exclude people who's opinions differ from yours.

Wow, just wow. Not sure what to say but "I'm sorry" and I'll...just stick to posting photos. Just...I really had no idea. |8.| |:(|

Kevin, I was doing no such thing. I have no axe to grind about any camera. I was responding directly to a comment about user error on the SW60 since I am someone who has had great difficulty with it and have had several discussions with Birdboy and others on the subject.

You have completely misconstrued my meaning and intent and anyway my comments weren't directed toward you. I realize you started the thread, but as far as I'm aware you don't actually own it
My apologies.

distant meadow pipit perched on a tree stump,taken at full zoom 247mm/with the 1.6 converter switched on,i tried edging closer but the bird took off,i managed to get within 10 feet of a ringed plover in a sandstorm ,the bird probably couldn,t see me ,ill post a pic later

Attachments

• mpipits.jpg
    mpipits.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 169
another 4 pics from last Monday,the last plover pic was taken in a sandstorm

Attachments

• gcgrebeb.jpg
    gcgrebeb.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 128
  • pwgb.jpg
    pwgb.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 101
  • rploverb.jpg
    rploverb.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 153
  • rpsandb.jpg
    rpsandb.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 141
Just got one of these, thought I'd pop some shots on here (seems the done thing). All I've done so far is whack it on auto and have a bit of a play, up at World's End yesterday afternoon. I'm sure as I start experimenting with settings etc (figuring out what things like "RAW" and "IS" mean :eek!: ) I'll get slightly better results, but I'm pretty happy so far.

Cheers

James

Attachments

• IMG_0109 Whinchat.JPG
    IMG_0109 Whinchat.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0119 Whinchat.JPG
    IMG_0119 Whinchat.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0122 Whinchat.JPG
    IMG_0122 Whinchat.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0177 Whinchat.JPG
    IMG_0177 Whinchat.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0185 Whinchat.JPG
    IMG_0185 Whinchat.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 120
I'm particularly pleased that it will focus on the wee bird sitting up and not the wall to wall landscape behind it. Some more attached, including a wide shot of a Black Grouse lek followed by an uncropped maximum zoom shot.

Cheers

James

Attachments

• IMG_0096 Meadow Pipit.JPG
    IMG_0096 Meadow Pipit.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0099 Skylark.JPG
    IMG_0099 Skylark.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0228 Meadow Pipit.JPG
    IMG_0228 Meadow Pipit.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 150
And then as we set off home, and I'm keeping my eye on the single track road with passing places, my seven year old son cries out from the back seat "look at all those Black Grouse", and there, alongside a convenient passing place to stop in, is an array of upwards of twenty Blackcocks strutting their stuff right by the road! Well spotted Arch, glad I had my camera at the ready! So, as I said, pretty pleased with my early attempts. I'll never be a full on photographer, but at least now I've got a much better piece of kit to record my days out than I had before.

Cheers

James

Attachments

• IMG_0235 Black Grouse.JPG
    IMG_0235 Black Grouse.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0252 Black Grouse.JPG
    IMG_0252 Black Grouse.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0254 Black Grouse.JPG
    IMG_0254 Black Grouse.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0260 Black Grouse.JPG
    IMG_0260 Black Grouse.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0271 Black Grouse.JPG
    IMG_0271 Black Grouse.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 96
hi James im glad you are happy with your sx 60,i have went through a few of the powershot range, s2/s5/sx40 plus 2 dslrs,once you learn the other settings usually tv mode or av mode you will never use auto for bird photography again,i have noticed a big improvement with the sx60 regarding the ability to focus on small birds in the distance over the other powershot range,it does however take a bit of getting used to when using the tele converters ,I don't know if you have tried the video function yet ,its video capability is awesome even at full zoom,below is a link taken in standard mode of 4 grey plovers, the plovers were just a dot on the horizon (the video zooms out in the end)even stills from the vid look ok

https://vimeo.com/126869927

Attachments

• gdw1.jpg
    gdw1.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 146
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back