• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Fernhill Heath (1 Viewer)

Clawman

Being new to this part of Worcester (since May) I have been delighted with the bird species in both my garden and within a 5 mile walk. Notables in the garden since the New Year have been a Brambling. Lesser Redpoll and Siskin and a Stonechat in the fields nearby. Anybody else local fancy exploring the vicinity. 45 species seen in the garden since May and counting. Regards Dave

Welcome to birdforum Dave.
45 species is an impressive count for a garden in your first 6 months. If you have specific locations to recommend that'd be great, else if I'm in the area I'll report back on what I see in Fernhill Heath generally on this thread :t:

Local reserves where you could meet like-minded birders are:
1. Christopher Cadbury Wetland Reserve, Upton Warren
Birdforum thread
WWT web page
Two sides: one with saline water and the other with fresh water. 7 hides. Whooper Swan currently at the Moors and a Barn Owl at the Flashes. Entry free for Wildlife Trust members or £3 if not. If you haven't been it's well worth the trip.
2. Grimley Brick Pits, Grimley, Worcester
Birdforum thread
WWT web page
A number of pools and habitats publicly viewable from the riverside footpath.

James

Yes, welcome to Birdforum.

Fernhill Heath is just a stone's throw from Porter's Mill / Tapenhall area.

During passage periods, this area can produce Whinchat, Wheatear, Tree pipit, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Stonechat and Yellow Wagtail. There is a good selection of breeding warblers and, in a good year, Grasshopper Warbler may be present. Little Egret are quite frequent and occasional species include Red Kite, Lapwing, Common Tern, Oystercatcher, Common Sandpiper, Curlew and, exceptionally, Osprey and Merlin.

Mandarin Ducks are sometimes found in this area as well as Little Grebes and Little Owls are often present (bred successfully last year). Kingfishers and Grey Wagtails are frequent along the canal and river.

Many of the usual farmland species are present - Yellowhammer, Skylark etc. and Meadow Pipits outside the breeding season.

In late August 2004, a Wryneck was present in a garden at Dane's Green, Claines, for a few days.

All the best and good birding.

Hi

Hi Dave , I'm Phil I live around the corner in Dilmore Lane. It would be nice to meet up .
As you say a good variety of birds in the neighbourhood. Male Stonechat showing well yesterday at the bottom of the lane with plenty of finches ,meadow pips etc

A good flock of Yellowhammer 10 + (several males) on bottom hedgerow of field between Dilmore lane and Jacobs Ladder. Also Skylarks, Reed Bunting and Meadow Pipits.

Just drifted over my garden in Dilmore Lane. A rubbish shot but just about identifiable.

Attachments

• IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3053.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back