• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IPod, WMA, Folders (1 Viewer)

Bob D

I've about 400 bird sounds in WMA format on my HP PDA. I set up folders by genus and then the songs are in order according to established "rules". The bird songs were ripped my CD's I own using Windows Media Player.

Have been considering either an iPod Nano one if its competitors based on the windows plays for sure format.

I keep leaning towards the iPod Nano (although the Sandisk Sansa 200 series MP3 player is under consideration) and my question at this time relates specifically to the iPod.

Can I take my current bird songs and place them by drag and drop on the iPod and keep then in the same format? So, I can access the folder by genus and then see the songs listed in the same order as they are on my PDA (and my Windows XP PC hard drive)?

'm assuming (correctly?) that the iPod Nano will play WMA format.

Thanks.

Bob D said:
Can I take my current bird songs and place them by drag and drop on the iPod and keep then in the same format? So, I can access the folder by genus and then see the songs listed in the same order as they are on my PDA (and my Windows XP PC hard drive)?

'm assuming (correctly?) that the iPod Nano will play WMA format.
Bob,

If you had ripped the songs into mp3-format, it would have been pretty much as you describe (through the iTunes). However, I am afraid that the iPod just does not play WMA (http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html). Apple does have a conversion program, but it will decode & encode the files - and slightly degrade the sound quality.

Ilkka

Hi Bob

Creative do some small MP3 players that can handle WMA files...I have been using their 40G MP3 player for a couple of years with no bother. It even survived me dropping it down a flight of stairs...whilst it was playing. I thought it had died but plugged the headphones back in and it was still working.
I do use MP3 rather WMA to encode the music etc...slightly better quality to my ears as MP3 files.

Thanks, this gave me a start. I've purchased, a Sandisk Sensa C 140 and I copied and pasted several folders with bird songs to the player and it combined the folders/songs. Appeared that the software on the player read the data on songs as one album (Stokes). By the way I did not download the software that came with the player as was informed if I had it would have surely combined the folders.

Purchased a Creative Zen Nano, set up folders on it and then copied and pasted the individual songs into the folders. This $50 player kept the folders seperate, however the screen was too small, subsequently so was the script. Returned it.

Considering the Creative Zen Micro, however, the experts at Best Buy stated that they did not believe that unit would keep my folders and songs in the order that they are on my computer (and PDA which is where they are now for field use). My option was to purchase the player, try it. Thought I would first ask here before making another 15 mile drive, or several drives and finding I was asking for the impossible.

If anyone has experience with a non-iPod player and has managed to arrange songs into folders by genus and then the species in the AOU order and placed them on the MP3/WMA player and they maintained that order I would appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks

Believe I found the answer here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1896327,00.asp

Published Dec. 05. Very few players out there that permit copy and paste. And it appears that even with copy and paste that--quote: "Loading music through Windows Explorer can make a mess of your track order, arranging them strictly alphabetically or some other way, depending on the ID3 tags. And for hard drive players with huge storage capacity, this can make finding a song tricky."

However, if I could set up folders then the most songs in a folder would be about 40 so not too bad to find. Plus if the unit allows playlists I could load those songs most likely needed.

If there is anything more up-to-date than this or personal experiencs would appreciated knowing it.

Last edited:
I am using the Creative Zen Jukebox...this allows you to organise the tracks within multiple folders...also to organise by various playlists

Bob D said:
Thanks, this gave me a start. I've purchased, a Sandisk Sensa C 140 and I copied and pasted several folders with bird songs to the player and it combined the folders/songs. Appeared that the software on the player read the data on songs as one album (Stokes). By the way I did not download the software that came with the player as was informed if I had it would have surely combined the folders.

Purchased a Creative Zen Nano, set up folders on it and then copied and pasted the individual songs into the folders. This $50 player kept the folders seperate, however the screen was too small, subsequently so was the script. Returned it.

Considering the Creative Zen Micro, however, the experts at Best Buy stated that they did not believe that unit would keep my folders and songs in the order that they are on my computer (and PDA which is where they are now for field use). My option was to purchase the player, try it. Thought I would first ask here before making another 15 mile drive, or several drives and finding I was asking for the impossible.

If anyone has experience with a non-iPod player and has managed to arrange songs into folders by genus and then the species in the AOU order and placed them on the MP3/WMA player and they maintained that order I would appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks

Bob D said:
Bob,

I only have experience on the iPods & iTunes, but I think you may not be able to do it easily even with Windows systems. If you have named all the files yourself and not used the "Gracenote CD database" during ripping, the sound files don't necessarily contain "metadata" or ID-tags that the player program reads when it organizes the files. The earlier mp3 players were able to handle Dragged/dropped files and folders, but modern devices are almost totally controlled by Win Media Player or iTunes and their copyright management systems.

If you need to preserve your folder structure, you may have to import the files into the WiMP and manually enter the genus, species etc. information inside the program - only the file names are probably preserved. The iPod/iTunes (WiMP too?) creates physical folders by the names of albums and artists, which could just be called "genus" & "species". Most of the Bird CD:s are in the Gracenote database, which make it very easy to re-rip the CD:s and acquire all the other information at the same time - it is IMO much faster than entering this info manually to each of your 400 bird songs. And - if you'll have to rip the CDs anyway, then there is no reason why you shouldn't consider an iPod.

Not very clear instructions - I know ;) - but if you need more information, just feel free to ask.

Ilkka

With regards the ID tags for the files....there are many good programs that can tag your files...I use Winamp when i am copying vinyl albums onto my computer. Certainly when ripping CD's the database saves the typing but it's something you only have to do once.

iporali said:
Bob,

I only have experience on the iPods & iTunes, but I think you may not be able to do it easily even with Windows systems. If you have named all the files yourself and not used the "Gracenote CD database" during ripping, the sound files don't necessarily contain "metadata" or ID-tags that the player program reads when it organizes the files. The earlier mp3 players were able to handle Dragged/dropped files and folders, but modern devices are almost totally controlled by Win Media Player or iTunes and their copyright management systems.

If you need to preserve your folder structure, you may have to import the files into the WiMP and manually enter the genus, species etc. information inside the program - only the file names are probably preserved. The iPod/iTunes (WiMP too?) creates physical folders by the names of albums and artists, which could just be called "genus" & "species". Most of the Bird CD:s are in the Gracenote database, which make it very easy to re-rip the CD:s and acquire all the other information at the same time - it is IMO much faster than entering this info manually to each of your 400 bird songs. And - if you'll have to rip the CDs anyway, then there is no reason why you shouldn't consider an iPod.

Not very clear instructions - I know ;) - but if you need more information, just feel free to ask.

Ilkka

Thanks everyone for the help

Thanks everyone for their helpful replies. I ended up retreating and ordered a Creative Zen Nano Plus 1 GB for $69. (Even after returning the Creative Zen Nano 512 MB). Will have to live with the screen and for the price which includes an FM radio it will give me a start without a lot of investment into the realm of MP3 players.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back