• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas in St Louis (1 Viewer)

msb123

Airline strikes permitting I will be in St Louis 25 Dec to 2 Jan. It will be mainly family time, but there may be a chance to sneak off and do some birding. Can anyone recommend sites that will be worth visiting at this time of year? I will have a car

Thanks

Mike

From the other thread Shaw Nature Reserve and Forest Park are on the list - but I am hoping someone might have some other ideas for a winter visit!

well, i didn't get to forest park but we had an excellent visit to shaw nature reserve and several visits to a local park in webster groves. we went to riverlands but it was very cold and windy. a scope would have been useful there. we also explored some of the area opposite pere marquette state park in calhoun (sp?) county illinois, which looked like it would repay a longer visit.

highlights included loads of red headed and a pair of pileated woodpeckers at shaw and a yellow bellied sapsucker in the local park. i was also pleased to see red tailed and red shouldered hawks and a northern harrier.

mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back