• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oployth Alpin (1 Viewer)

pete seaman

I have a pair of Optolyth Alpin 12x50 bins,quite old but still gets an outing. Origonally bought when in the Dales surveying for upland birds for that extra ooomph. The focus wheel has got quite stiff is there much I can do to ease the problem. I'd like to hang on to the bins even though they look old and clumsy compared to my Opticron Countryman 8x32 but still handy when we don't want to hike a scope/tripod set up.Considering their age the coating must be good as they are bright even of a dull day like today.

I have a pair of Optolyth Alpin 12x50 bins,quite old but still gets an outing. Origonally bought when in the Dales surveying for upland birds for that extra ooomph. The focus wheel has got quite stiff is there much I can do to ease the problem. I'd like to hang on to the bins even though they look old and clumsy compared to my Opticron Countryman 8x32 but still handy when we don't want to hike a scope/tripod set up.Considering their age the coating must be good as they are bright even of a dull day like today.

Hi Pete, can you post a photo? I had an optolyth porro some time ago, i'm pretty sure I removed the oculars and focus wheel / spindle in the usual way, by undoing via the front, by taking off the cap on the tripod adapter hole and undoing the screw that stops the oculars coming right off when focusing. Sound like taking it out, cleaning and re greasing with some lithium grease should do it.

Hi Pete, can you post a photo? I had an optolyth porro some time ago, i'm pretty sure I removed the oculars and focus wheel / spindle in the usual way, by undoing via the front, by taking off the cap on the tripod adapter hole and undoing the screw that stops the oculars coming right off when focusing. Sound like taking it out, cleaning and re greasing with some lithium grease should do it.
Sorry cannot do the photo as camera is playing silly beggars and my old mobile only does phone call.It sounds like your advice will work it is quite an old pair,over 30yrs but I still have a soft spot for them, Thanks for getting back to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back