• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

I agree. Swaro makes decent products and is often a (small) step ahead of the competition, but what really sets them appart from Leica, Zeiss and Nikon is their marketing. I suppose the difference is due to binoculars and scopes being the only business for Swarovski Optik, while for the others its a mere side show to their other much bigger lines of business.

Swarovski AG is comprised of the Crystal business €2.7B, a tool maker called Tyrolit €676M, and Swarovski Optik €156M of which Optik has by far the smallest turnover. This is not so different from Leica and Zeiss.

But their marketing is always slick!

Lee

I agree. Swaro makes decent products and is often a (small) step ahead of the competition, but what really sets them appart from Leica, Zeiss and Nikon is their marketing. I suppose the difference is due to binoculars and scopes being the only business for Swarovski Optik, while for the others its a mere side show to their other much bigger lines of business.
I think the notion of 'Marketing' is very much overrated.
The clear to the edge extra wide Fov achievements (along with glasses friendly ER) sell themselves.
The sight of a HunTer singing the praises of a new product of the company that 'sponsors' him does absolutely nothing for me (or I'd wager anyone over the age of 8 years old).
HunTers seem to do lots of things one handed ! ........ that tells me nothing about using these new bins to watch birds.

I thought the 'market' launch of this product left much to be desired. It is certainly not a model suggested in any text book. My faith and confidence in the product would be 'despite' the marketing, and based on a fine history of product excellence and service deliverables.

Chosun :gh:

Hi Lee (post #277),

Your image shows the Zeiss SF's prisms flipped 180 degrees, so that the order of the 2 prisms in the optical train is changed
However, Swarovski states that the NL’s prisms are rotated 90 degrees (see the text included in post #85)

Hopefully, as usual when Swarovski introduces a major new binocular, it will post a cutaway image of the NL’s innards so that what's been done will become clearer

John

John

Thanks a lot for pointing that out I had totally missed this. Apologies to Swaro and to all.

Lee

I'm feeling somewhat puzzled. My EL 8.5x42s were marketed by Swarovski under the tag line "Limitless perfection" - and now Swaro are marketing the NL which is supposed to be BETTER than limitless perfection...

The EL has been relegated to "The Legend".

Obviously, even limitless perfection has its limits...:smoke:

I'm feeling somewhat puzzled. My EL 8.5x42s were marketed by Swarovski under the tag line "Limitless perfection" - and now Swaro are marketing the NL which is supposed to be BETTER than limitless perfection...

C'est la vie. The machine grinds on!

Swarovski appears to have tweaked the spec of the EL (The Legend) now not called the universal viewer. Maybe EL in the Field Pro format was too close to the new NL I’m glad I got my pair of 8.5 x42 Field Pro 5 months ago as I do like the close focus distance it has.

That little thing sticking out just above the focus knob... is that the diopter setting?
No word about diopter until now.
imho two quite important features of any binocular.

Posts #213, 216, 253 mentioned the diopter. Perhaps distracted by racing bikes.

Agree Lee, when I visited the factory some 15 years ago, the whole experience and particularly the presentation in the amazing board room I described at the time as "slick", not to suggest that Zeiss and Leoca weren't also very impressive.

Last edited:
Swarovski appears to have tweaked the spec of the EL (The Legend) now not called the universal viewer. Maybe EL in the Field Pro format was too close to the new NL I’m glad I got my pair of 8.5 x42 Field Pro 5 months ago as I do like the close focus distance it has.

the marketing guys said 'don't mess with the legend' when asked whether EL
will still be on offer. Well sure seems like they are messing with it by changing specs to get people to buy the NL. What a rotten thing to do to diminish the EL this way. Begs the question will they subtly tweak down other things besides just close focus.

the marketing guys said 'don't mess with the legend' when asked whether EL
will still be on offer. Well sure seems like they are messing with it by changing specs to get people to buy the NL. What a rotten thing to do to diminish the EL this way. Begs the question will they subtly tweak down other things besides just close focus.

So how can the close focus change between one day and the next...? They obviously haven't physically changed the EL ...yet.... But your suggestion about slowly tweaking it is something to ponder on....

Posts #213, 216, 253 mentioned the diopter. Perhaps distracted by racing bikes.

Agree Lee, when I visited the factory some 15 years ago, the whole experience and particularly the presentation in the amazing board room I described at the time as "slick", not to suggest that Zeiss and Leoca weren't also very impressive.

Leoca.......my favorite brandB :)

Jan

Andreas. You know thing's can change!

Dennis it's not about things changing, but about binoculars you change your mind almost every hour!

Recently you complained about the stray light problems in the EL 8x32 and that you can hardly use these binoculars under your conditions, now you have bought them again ???
Many people who only want to find out about binoculars and have little experience read here, what do these people take as essence from their articles?

It is like an expired love, which very few succeed in reviving, this knowledge may also be transferable to binoculars!?

I know that Nikon does not have the best service, so I did not follow your advice to buy the 10x42 EDG and I would also sell my 8x32 and 7x42 if you did not make such large losses here in Europe, not because they are bad binoculars but if you get a malfunction you might have to live with it and throw the binoculars in the garbage can, an exchange for an MHG would be out of the question for me.

Andreas

Last edited:
It's good to see ongoing investments and creative competition between the industry's top players. I like the fact that it is purely optical technology without any electronics.

Leoca.......my favorite brandB :)

Jan

There is a u in the British English spelling of favourite Jan! :t: Bloomin Americans, b*rst*rd*ng our genteel language. Touché mon brave.

I look forward to your in depth (easy to understand, in layman's terms) of your examination and thoughts of the NL Pure.

Regards.

Last edited:
So how can the close focus change between one day and the next...? They obviously haven't physically changed the EL ...yet....

What makes you think EL hasn't been physically changed? They could change the focus components or maybe add a device to limit the length of 'travel' of the focusing lens. They did this already with SLC a while back so that if you wanted a decent close focus you had to buy an EL. However on this occasion they don't appear to have changed EL32 close focus which is still said to be 1.9m on the Swaro website.

Lee

What makes you think EL hasn't been physically changed? They could change the focus components or maybe add a device to limit the length of 'travel' of the focusing lens. They did this already with SLC a while back so that if you wanted a decent close focus you had to buy an EL. However on this occasion they don't appear to have changed EL32 close focus which is still said to be 1.9m on the Swaro website.

Lee

So in other wards, if one wants to purchase a EL32, perhaps buy 2019 or earlier...:) jim

For want of a better expression they appear to be dumbing down the EL to reduce cost of end product because of the small difference other than field of view and change in ergonomics. 20% price reduction is a lot. Changes most likely will come in with new production run of EL. The 32mm modules could be next if and when they do 32mm NL.

So in other wards, if one wants to purchase a EL32, perhaps buy 2019 or earlier...:) jim

No Jim, read my post. Swaro don't appear to have changed EL32 only EL42. Unless they just haven't got around to changing the EL32 specs on their website yet.

Lee

If any of the other major brands decided to dumb down their previous top line binocular to make their new binocular, which is astronomically priced, look better, they would be excoriated on these pages.

Close focus distance is irrelevant to me personally, but if it's such a big deal why doesn't someone call Swaro and ask them if any changes were made. It's pure speculation it seems?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back