• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping options with Zeiss Diascope 85...help! (1 Viewer)

swamp_rattler

Hello all. I have a Zeiss Diascope 85 (which I absolutely love) and would like to supplement my viewing pleasures with photography through the scope. I have plenty of questions!

First, I would really like to hand-hold the setup. Let's say I go the point-and-shoot route. Which camera would you prefer...a Canon SD790IS or a Nikon P5000 or P5100? The slow performance of the Nikons scares me...

Second, I also have a Canon 40D. I've been reading about digiscoping with DSLR's but have no idea how to do it, or if it's even possible handheld. I have an 18-55mm IS lens and a 60mm macro lens, along with a Canon 100-400. A 10-22mm wide-angle is on its way. Little luck with the first two lenses. Is there any lens that would work well for this purpose on a Canon 40D?

Thanks for any thoughts, any samples, any...well, any anything!

You may want to take a look at the SRB-Griturn digiscoping alignment collar, which works well with a Zeiss and a Fuji F30.

However, this line of cameras is several generations along from the F30 now, and I'm looking at the Fuji F100FD, with an ISO to 12,800 -- but haven't tried it.

Mike

Last edited:
Hey swamp_rattler,

Zeiss does make a DSLR adapter for the Diascope. here's the link:
http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/7c0c4ce74a32e9ed852571cb00499727
Pricey...http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3505
But just what you need to connect the two perfectly.

Handholding is not really an option in my experience. I know there are people on this forum who have done it and with some success.

As far as a point & shoot, I really can't recommend a modern camera. I use a Fuji f31 and it is quite nice. Very, very hard to find and the more modern Fujis in the series don't have the same low-light sensor as the f30 & f31 from what I've read here on BF.

If you want good, sharp images I would use the above adapter & the 40D in LiveView.

The Canon SD790 should be hand holdable if you just insert a small tube into the rubber eyecup to drop the camera lens into. Roll up some cardboard if you don't have the right sized tube. The Canon A590IS also works well.
Read some of the threads here on DSLRs and digiscoping for more details.
Neil.

hand holding is OK to begin with but as you will see, better quality will soon become a challenge,,

as you read all the postings of various equipment being used there is a reason most everyone is using some form of a mount attaching the camera at a specific location to the eyepiece,, it just works better,,

Derry

Swamp,

Take a look at my blog (http://jerryjourdan2.blogspot.com). I have a couple different home-made adaptors that I use for my Diascope 85T*Fl to do hand-holding digiscoping and I'm very happy w/ them. I'm currently shooting a Coolpix P5000 and have seen great results from the P5100 (see Neil Pfeiffer's posts). For the price, it is probably better to get a 5100 rather than the new P6000 since there isn't much difference in image quality and I've seen some posts regarding vignetting issues w/ the P6000. The Canon 570IS has been mentioned, but I know little of their operations. I've had great success w/ both Fuji F30 and Canon Powershot A620 in the past.

Cheers,

The Fuji F100FD is a nice camera -- but forget it for digiscoping, as vignetting remains at 5x optical zoom.

My wife was ready to move from her Olympus Stylus Epic film camera (Over 1,000,000 of these were sold.), and I found a local retailer for the discontinued Fuji F50FD.

The lens just misses fitting the digiscoping alignment collar for the Fuji F30; however, attached is a digibinned shot of a pair of Northern Cardinals through our back window this morning, with a 10x32 EL and the F50.

Mike

Attachments

• BLOG2008_1202David0017.JPG
    BLOG2008_1202David0017.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 109
Lots of creative experimentation and ideas given. Some, very inexpensive solutions like Neil's, M. Cowming's. Paul Corfield has even hand-held his 18-55mm kit lens up to the scope eyepiece with no vignetting or CA.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back