• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fed up with punctures (1 Viewer)

Agreed Sancho...high quality name-brand tires and tubes will provide much better service than no-name stuff. I personally prefer Continental tires for my road bikes and Conti, Michelin, Panaracer, and Ritchey for my mountain bikes.

I guess if what I've just tried doesn't work, I'll try this next. I'd already bought and fitted the innertube when I read this though. Thanks.

Just wait till you cycle that baby with the tyres inflated up to the max!!! You´ll wonder how you managed to move it at all in the past! Happy Cycling and Happy New Year! (Incidentally, it´s great that there was so much response to your thread....lots of cyclo-birders out there!):t:

Air free tyres (of all makes) are generally regarded in the cycling world as being useless. They give a very harsh ride, and you end up with as many problems from things vibrating loose, broken spokes etc as you had punctures. The best puncture proof (ish) tyres are the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. These have layer of soft rubber on the inside, about 5mm thick, that grips the sides of a penetrating object and mostly stops it getting as far as the tube. They are heavier and will slow you down a little compared to ordinary tyres, but I wouldn't imagine that you would notice on birdwatching rides.

It's generally easier to carry a spare inner tube, and use that, rather than trying to mend a puncture out on the road. You can mend the tube when you get back home.
Before you put the new tube in, you should always locate the puncture and check the tyre for any sharp objects.
Pinch punctures caused by low pressure can be recognised because there are two short cuts along the tube, 2-3mm long and 3-8mm apart.

From the description of your puncture, it sounds to me like it may have been caused by something chafing away at the tube. Does the mark line up with anything?
Tyre liners like your Slime ones have been known to cause this type of puncture, especially if the end is cut off square rather than tapered in thickness.

(just back from a 50 mile ride - one badger, no owls)

Actually, it seemed to me that the "pale stretch mark on the innertube, in the middle of which was the puncture" could have been caused by the tube being pinched between the rim lip and the tire bead. It is essential to make sure the tube in installed entirely within the tire and that it does not get caught between the rim lip and the tire bead. So, install one bead of the tire on the rim then insert the tube in the tire fully into the tire cavity with the valve stem extending through the rim hole. Then install the second tire bead on the rim starting at the valve and working around the rim uniformly each way away from the valve. The last part of the tire bead to pop in behind the rim lip should be directly opposite the valve. Then fill the tire-tube about half way and check that the tire bead is fully seated in the rim lip on both sides and that the tube is not stuck between the two. Then fill the tire up to the required pressure.

Should make all the difference in the world in performance and comfort. A fully pressurized tire is much better at adsorbing the rock shock than a partially full one that may bottom out on the end of the rim during a hard bump in the road (like a cobble).

Certainly any sharp edges from the rim strip or tire liner could over time cause a hole to wear in the tube. But it seems that the majority of your flats have occurred in situations where you're traversing cobbles that have caused localized pressure on an under-inflated tire thereby resulting in your pinch flats (aka "snake-bites").

Please keep us updated Bobby. Best of luck and keep on riding.

Just wait till you cycle that baby with the tyres inflated up to the max!!! You´ll wonder how you managed to move it at all in the past!......

Just been on my first ride on my new improved bike, and wow what a difference. Even against a quite stiff wind it seemed easier going, but coming back (heading east, mainly downhill, on a newly surfaced cycle track with a moderate westerly behind me), it was like a rocket :eek!: So maybe it was a good idea to pump up my tyres! :-O

Just one thing - I tested the tyres with the gauge before I went and topped them up to the required PSI. When I got back, I tested them again, and the pressure in both tyres had dropped by about 8 psi. Still a lot better than how they used to be, but I wondered if this was usual?

So far so good - I'll keep yous posted. Thanks for all of the help.

Unfortunately the birds weren't performing today, so not much to report on that front, just a handful of Pink-feet and a few Redwings and Fieldfares.

That's pretty normal, especially, I think, on new tubes. Giving 'em a quick top-up is no problem with the new pump. It occurs to me that probably 99% of people who ride bicycles do so on under-inflated tyres, and therefore are wasting tons of energy pushing against traction that wouldn't be there if they simply pumped-once a week. Maybe it's a gospel we should spread, now that oil has finally topped 100 dollars a barrel.....;)

Last edited:
....It occurs to me that probably 99% of people who ride bicycles do so on under-inflated tyres, and therefore are wasting tons of energy pushing against traction that wouldn't be there if they simply pumped-once a week. Maybe it's a gospel we should spread, now that oil has finally topped 100 dollars a barrel.....;)

I think you are right. I tried again with a hand pump when I fitted my new inner tube, and I couldn't get the tyres to higher than 50% of the recommended tyre pressure. It seems to me that a foot pump is essential to get to the correct pressure.

Last edited:
Hi Bobby

I know exactly how you feel. Punctures once were my nightmare but I have solved the problem with a thorough procedure on how to fix a tyre and a good set of tyres (almost 100% puncture-proof)

Here’s e little film about how to fix a puncture.
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-fix-a-bicycle-puncture

This probably goes to show there are different procedures on how to fix a tyre. I guess most of you also have a slightly different procedure. I have some remarks to make because I do things a little differently.

1. I wait for the glue to dry a little (about 3 minutes) instead of blowing for a few seconds
2. I do not put the valve collar on the valve and place the tube inside the tyre (a mistake in the film that is not easily made though)
3. I always remember how the inner tube was positioned inside the tyre. After I find the puncture in the tube I always (yes really always) check the tyre at that position and see if there is something sharp sticking in the tyre. If so, get rid of it.
4. I never apply chalk but just wait for the glue to dry.
5. I do not use a tyre lever to put the tyre back on. On mountainbike tyres a lever is not necessary at all. On ordinary tyres I rarely have to use a lever. My advice: Stay away from levers (if possible) because they can cause new punctures.
6. I pump up the tyre to the desired pressure.

Hope this will help.

Cheers Peter

Great advice and video, Peter! I always use chalk and levers, though...I've never been able to return the tyre-bead with my hands. Of course, if us cyclists had sense, we'd all go and live in the Netherlands, a cyclist's paradise....

Of course, if us cyclists had sense, we'd all go and live in the Netherlands, a cyclist's paradise....

I almost agree with this if only for the weather. But I know from experience you Irish also get your fair share of rain. ;)

With regards to levers I can say I use them sometimes to get the tyre off but never to get the tyre back on to the wheel. I know it can sometimes be a pain in the ... but after many punctures you just get craftsmanship I guess.

(P.S. - Bicycles are Crucial Nature Study Equipment!)

I do not agree. To me Binoculars are a crucial cyclers equipment. ;) Never go cycling without a pair.

Cheers Peter

PS. It looks to me that among birders there is a more then average percentage of bikers (bicycles that is) but I could be wrong.

Bobby, just got around to reading this thread, and it reminds me of the problems I had with a Range Rover and punctures. Without making a long story of it, it did get so bad that the police were involved and set up surveillance cameras!

Turned out it was my own fault....my manual suggested lowering the tyre pressures for off road work (I did a lot of of road driving).

Going back to full pressure cured the problems.

Incidently, almost all the punctures were in the side of the tubes..(it was a long time ago :) )

Den

Bobby, just got around to reading this thread, and it reminds me of the problems I had with a Range Rover and punctures. Without making a long story of it, it did get so bad that the police were involved and set up surveillance cameras!

Turned out it was my own fault....my manual suggested lowering the tyre pressures for off road work (I did a lot of of road driving).

Going back to full pressure cured the problems.

Incidently, almost all the punctures were in the side of the tubes..(it was a long time ago :) )

Den

Hi Den,
It's still early days, but since I decided to pump my tyres up, I've not had a puncture and have covered about 80 miles, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks

Incredibly today I picked three thorns out of my tyres, and still they won't puncture. One thorn was in the front tyre, in the middle, and was about 6mm in. I assume that the strip of slim between the tube and the tyre saved the day on this occasion.

Nice one, Bobby. Carry a spare tube anyway just in case. My younger brother doesn´t carry a pump anymore, he got some new-fangled doohickey with a tiny gas canister that fills your tube up with CO2 in seconds. Might get me one of those.....

Nice one, Bobby. Carry a spare tube anyway just in case. My younger brother doesn´t carry a pump anymore, he got some new-fangled doohickey with a tiny gas canister that fills your tube up with CO2 in seconds. Might get me one of those.....

Naah think of the carbon footprint of one of those;)

Mick

Plus it's a single use item unless you carry more than one CO2 cartridge along with you.
Then you're probably carrying more weight than the pump.
But it is less work inflating that tire after you've changed a flat.
I carry a pump nonetheless on both my road bike and my off-road/mountain bike.

Plus it's a single use item unless you carry more than one CO2 cartridge along with you.
Then you're probably carrying more weight than the pump.
But it is less work inflating that tire after you've changed a flat.
I carry a pump nonetheless on both my road bike and my off-road/mountain bike.

Only problem with a hand pump is that I've already proven to myself that I can't get the pressure up to anywhere near the correct psi. With the handpump I can only achieve about 15 psi, and that's nearly killing myself. The tyres need to be at 40 - 60 psi. How can I achieve that without a foot pump? Would the cartridge get the pressure up to the correct psi I wonder?

The tyres need to be at 40 - 60 psi. How can I achieve that without a foot pump? Would the cartridge get the pressure up to the correct psi I wonder?

Yeah, even in the prime of Sancho's manhood, I can't get the tyre pressure to 50psi by hand. The little canisters do the trick, though. They look like the cyanide capsules in the movie "Downfall".

I wonder if the fact the tires on my bike were not properly inflated that caused the uncomfortableness on yesterdays ride.... Tires now pumped up as much as I could (be bothered) by hand (can just push the sidewalls inwards). Will find out tomorrow... Oh, using a mini hand pump...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back