• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

With the weather getting colder over the last week or so, it has driven the 'Great Spotted Woodpeckers' back into the garden, both a male and female! Also had a male Blackcap, which is a first for me in this garden. Had an influx of Chaffinches as well, which is nice as they are a bit of a rarity for some reason in my garden.
(photos were taken through a window in bad light, so excuse the poor quality)

Certainly does bring them in... GSW and Blackcaps are brilliant birds to have visit .... its the one good thing about winter ;)

Very busy in mine at the mo ...............

.................. and numbers are now building up

8 Lssr Redpoll, 9 Goldfinch and too many Greenfinch to count in all the commotion 20+ at a guess, and as others have stated here the Blackbirds are very lively 8 at the moment.

Corvids abundant with Rooks sat on the TV aerials around the nr and distant neighbours gardens

Had a garden first today; And was glad to see a Sparrowhawk. May have had them before but this is the first Iv seen..came and stole a sparrow and ate his breakfast on the lawn.

Good to see another new garden bird!

With the weather getting colder over the last week or so, it has driven the 'Great Spotted Woodpeckers' back into the garden, both a male and female! Also had a male Blackcap, which is a first for me in this garden. Had an influx of Chaffinches as well, which is nice as they are a bit of a rarity for some reason in my garden.
(photos were taken through a window in bad light, so excuse the poor quality)

That's a great feeding station you've got there.

Pretty busy at our feeders today, Saint Joseph, Missouri. Three nice winter visitors from up north in Canada.

Rock Pigeon (flyover)
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
American Crow (flyover)
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH - 2
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
European Starling
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
COMMON REDPOLL - one came in with siskins, but only stayed for a short time!
PINE SISKIN - 7
House Sparrow

Lots starlings in the garden today! It's been snowing so I put out extra suet pellets and mealworms! Also had a Wren around, lots sparrows and blackbirds. The resident collard dove in the tree and wood piegion. Also this morning c7 mallards flew over garden.

As with others above, the bad weather has shown a noticeable increase in my garden birds over the last few days. At one point today I counted five male Blackbirds and one female round the feeder. The males were fun to watch as they chased each other around in circles.
Although I've increased the food I put out in cold weather, competition between birds is fierce. The Chaffinches and Tits wait quietly for space whilst at one point I witnessed two Nuthatches fighting over the right to sit in the middle of the seeds. Interesting to see how subdued the Nuthatches become though when a bigger bird lands (GSWs and Blackbirds). Photos below:

8246644301_5894958e4d_b.jpg

8247022183_c25929a3c2_b.jpg

8248138996_cb580fd26e_b.jpg

Mark, what is the bird in flight in the background in the middle photo?

It's a Dunnock. That landed first quickly followed by the Nuthatch in the centre of shot which chased it off. As that was happening, a second Nuthatch (the one seen in flight) tried to get at the seeds. The first Nuthatch took exception to this and spread its wings ready to fight, which was the point I got this shot. Honestly, I could watch them all day |=)|

The Pine Siskins have been coming to the bird feeders in our yard for about a month now. They also pick around the seed balls in the nearby sycamore and sweet gum trees. We have had up to 35 coming in on some days.

Attachments

• Siskin_1a.jpg
    Siskin_1a.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 41
A milder day here in Northern Ireland, no snow yet but the cold on Sunday brought a male Brambling, according to my gf who was present to see it, while I was in Forest of Dean seeing grandparents and enjoying their huge garden's Marsh Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, GSW, Mistle Thrush, etc.!

Today we've managed 4 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Greenfinch and 2 Collared Dove as best, and I've given a marauding local cat a big fright so he/she may now be deterred. It's a cute specimen and I feel bad chasing it but it's caused casualties recently.

8 Lssr Redpoll (please please hit 40 this year again!!), and 4 Fieldfare (the first of the winter) and the first flakes of snow have just started to fall a few minutes ago.

It's a Dunnock.

Thanks - couldn't work it out.

8 Lssr Redpoll (please please hit 40 this year again!!), and 4 Fieldfare (the first of the winter) and the first flakes of snow have just started to fall a few minutes ago.

Nice going, BFB.

... has anyone else noticed how pristine and warm the Goldies plumage is looking at the moment, really stunning.

A goldwhat? Mine have disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back