• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any good places to go birding in the Barnet area? (1 Viewer)

Nursey

Cheerfully clueless
I haven't ever gone out with the primary goal of birding before, and in fact had never thought of it prior to finding this excellent forum and being fired up with enthusiasm.
Does anyone know of a good,safe place to go birding for the first time in the Barnet area? it must be accessible by public transport and reasonably safe.

Also, on a point of etiquette, would it be frowned on by other birders to take my two dogs along? I don't want to annoy anyone so will quite understand if this is not the done thing.

Thank you

Nursey

Hi,

there are a few good London birding websites with links to sites

http://website.lineone.net/~andrewself/Londonsbirding.htm

http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/england_greater_london.html

there's also a range of books suitably titled "where to watch birds" which are very good.

as for the dogs, well I guess some reserves might not allow them in, but I visit many local sites where there are often more dog walkers than birders, as long they aren't being a nuisance am sure no one will mind :)

Where ever you are - hang out a bird feeder and see what turns up.

I think dead sheep are great for attracting some wild birds - but, In Barnet, I would stick to nuts and seeds.

(Are there any red kites or vultures in Barnet?)

It's been a long time since I visited that area (I have relatives in Hertfordshire) but the Aquadrome at Watford should not be too difficult to get to, and is not too far away.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back