• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (43 Viewers)

Hi

Thinking off popping over to Pembrokeshire tomorrow (very early!) for the isabelline wheatear and whatever else is around. If anyone fancies a trip out and sharing the petrol costs let me know by PM please. Probably going off about 5ish.

Mike

I was there yesterday. The o/s map on RBA is spot on but if you are not sure of directions let me know.

Below are a couple of photos of what you are looking for.

Good luck if you go.

John

Hi

Thinking off popping over to Pembrokeshire tomorrow (very early!) for the isabelline wheatear and whatever else is around. If anyone fancies a trip out and sharing the petrol costs let me know by PM please. Probably going off about 5ish.

Mike

Attachments

• Isabelline Wheatear 5663.jpg
    Isabelline Wheatear 5663.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Isabelline Wheatear 5662.jpg
    Isabelline Wheatear 5662.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 105
I was there yesterday. The o/s map on RBA is spot on but if you are not sure of directions let me know.

Below are a couple of photos of what you are looking for.

Good luck if you go.

John

Ta :) generally find RBA pretty accurate (other than last winter's great grey shrike up the Chase which was about 3 miles out!

Mike

Showers throughout the day, with a moderate SW wind although feeling quite w warm 18 degrees.
The Moors were ticking over, with a bit of migration. Involving hirundines and warblers.
The large gull were mostly juv LBBGs with 15 herrings, one of the LBBG was sporting a black darvic ring on its right leg with yellow letters 'K+P'.
A group of house martins were forced down by a heavy shower.
species counts at Moors
GCG 7 ( 3 juvs), little grebe 6 min, cormorant 7, mute swan 2ads + 1 juv, greylag 20, shoveler 8, teal 22, wigeon 1, mallard 30, pochard 8 (5 male and 3 fem) there were 8 on Tuesday (6 male and 2 fem), snipe 12, lapwing 76, water rail several calling, coot 120, BHG 400, Common Gull 1st winter, LBBG 45, herring 15, kingfisher, peregrine seen from east hide on masts, house martin 20, blackcap, cettis - trilling inside the 'hook', cettis 5 ( 1 singing),

The Flashes this afternoon.
The water level had risen a small amount, freshening up the muddy areas and this probably attracted the extra ruff yesterday. Luckily the areas we will be digging out on Sunday are not affected. The ruff were mostly feeding around the sewage field shore. These were probably also attracted by the recent cutting of the phragmites (more later). Duck numbers were pretty static, but it was nice to see a small southerly movement of wigeon overhead. These could well be going to graze on the lawns at the Château Impney in Droitwich.
species count at the Flashes
Teal 80, shoveler 38, wigeon 8 (2 + 6), coot 4, water rail calling, snipe 1, ruff 5 (2 fems + 3 males), lapwing 186, BHG 200, herring gull 2, sparrowhawk, grey heron, stock dove few, linnet heard, meadow pipit, pied wag 5.

This afternoon on the moors this gull was present. I would say Yellow legged everyone who saw the photos agreed, but are we right.
Phil.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 97
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 119
Roving volunteers

On Thursday the Trust's roving Volunteers tackled part of the encroaching reeds around the 2nd Flash.
They cut the southern shore, part of the east shore and the whole of the stretch in front of the sewage works.
This is part of the on-going scheme, to eradicate the reeds from the shore of the 2nd Flash. The cattle are an integral part of the scheme, which will hopefully show some return by the next breeding season.
We don't want to remove all the phragmites from the Flashes. In fact around the 3rd Flash we have a very productive 'bed' where water rail and a good population of reed warbler and reed buntings thrive.
A temporary habitat will be produced during this interim period, which will attract snipe duck and rails and hopefully a goodie.
Today there were plenty of shoveler and teal feeding in the 'cut' areas.
The photos show the areas cut yesterdayB :)

Attachments

• 1south 2nd flashDSCF8868 (2).jpg
    1south 2nd flashDSCF8868 (2).jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 2sewage wrks stripDSCF8875 (2).jpg
    2sewage wrks stripDSCF8875 (2).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 3swage south ssectionDSCF8874 (2).jpg
    3swage south ssectionDSCF8874 (2).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I haven't been today. But Dave J has and apart from Graham Lab no one else on site. Highlights Flashes: ruff 5 , dunlin , common sand, 217+ pied wags on webbs island tree roos overhead skylark and siskin.

Moors: wigeon 3. Common gull 1st winter. Skylark, mipits andsiskin over and an amazing flock of 16 RAVEN flying NW

sunday work party at Flashes

For anybody visiting the reserve tomorrow I would suggest you visit the Flashes before 10. The work starts then alternatively come and join us. There are lots of new volunteers getting involved so dont be shy come along. Bring your wellies though. We only have one chance to complete this project, as the water level will flood the area by November. 4 of the main lads are on the Shetland so We really need all the help w can get. Hope to see you tomorrow. Ps I am not trying to make anyone feel guiltyo:) honest:smoke:
johnB :)

For anybody visiting the reserve tomorrow I would suggest you visit the Flashes before 10. The work starts then alternatively come and join us. There are lots of new volunteers getting involved so dont be shy come along. Bring your wellies though. We only have one chance to complete this project, as the water level will flood the area by November. 4 of the main lads are on the Shetland so We really need all the help w can get. Hope to see you tomorrow. Ps I am not trying to make anyone feel guiltyo:) honest:smoke:
johnB :)
Mrs M has the hob on, possibilty of Welsh cakes perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back