• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (103 Viewers)

A good candidate for adult yellow legged gull, at the Moors today. several herrings were present and they were at least 2 or 3 shades lighter than this bird. I think it was too dark for Argentatus herring.

Did you see the legs - the considered opinion from Shetland based, on the photo, is thats its probably a dark mantled Herring Gull (rounded head shape, bill doesnt look particularly heavy)

Did you see the legs - the considered opinion from Shetland based, on the photo, is thats its probably a dark mantled Herring Gull (rounded head shape, bill doesnt look particularly heavy)

No didn't see legs kid. Although argentatus can have yellow legs. Bird on view for a couple of minutes and didnt see it fly. Thought it was worth getting a photo first, by the time I had got my scope out, it had gone. :t:
sounds like you are having a good time up there.

Last edited:
Look out for Yellow Browed Warbler.One in Gloucs today. It's been the most common species of warbler on Shetland in the ten days I spent there. Had Hudsonian Whimbrel on Yell today (my last day) after me, Phil and co and Garys gang dipped it yesterday. Phil and co were on Whalsay so didn't get it. Hope it sticks around for them. Off to the Borders tomorrow for the Sardinian Warbler.

Its not for the want of trying Andy. We have worked the likely areas . Even in the education reserve where the last one was. Other than a "chewit" calling coal tit it was a no goer.B :)

A good candidate for adult yellow legged gull, at the Moors today. several herrings were present and they were at least 2 or 3 shades lighter than this bird. I think it was too dark for Argentatus herring.

I agree a good candidate also going for it is the clean head, herrings having bold streaking from Sep. Also the goyns spot appears to extend onto upper mandible ? Wayne D. tells me that females are smaller than males perhaps explaining the less than chunky bill ?

first Jack of the autumn

John Sirrett has found the 1st Jack Snipe of the year, it is on the Flashes right (south ) corner of the 2nd flash at the edge of the reeds.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff (2)----------------Jack Snipe (1) - finder Mike Inskip
Common Sand----------Dunlin
Curlew (1)------------Snipe (2)
Peregrine -----------Lapwing 219
Teal (40)---------------Shoveler(36)
Chiffchaff (2)---------------Moorhen(24)

MOORS:
Common Gull (1W)
Dunlin (same as flashes)......Little Grebe (8)
House Martin (6)--------- Pochard 7
Pochard (7)---------------Wigeon(2)
Greylag Goose (72) ------- GC Grebe (10)
Cettis Warbler (H), Water Rail (H), Kingfisher, Chiffchaff (6)

Stayed till dark on Moors hoping for Bittern but no luck. Walking back to SP Tawny Owl calling at top of Salwarp by A38.

JS for an absent Des.

Only sighting to add to Johns list was a Common Whitethroat male from Moors East Hide
early morning. This vain hope of sprites is making us check every warbler spent ten minutes trying to get decent views of a bird by the sailing pool turned out to be another Chiffchaff. Better sharpen up on hweets and sweests with the east winds still blowing

work party this Sunday

At the Flashes we will be having the first work party of the season.
If you can spare a couple hours or more, it would very much be appreciated.
We have dropped the water to its lowest 'controlled' level. This will allow us to de-silt the shallow wader feeding areas. We will be creating a new spit from the spoil. This will provide more shoreline and nesting sites for next spring. The more of us there are, then the lighter the load. If you can come along please bring wellies and old clothes (not your Sunday best). The work is vital for the continued success of our waders. This work won't be carried out by the Trust or contractors, so its all down to the volunteers, without whom the site would not exist in its present form. In other words if we don't do it it won't get done. Be assured that every hour you contribute will make a difference. We only have this work party to complete this job, before the rains arrive and the area will be flooded.
I will bring biscuits, cakes if I can get some cheapo's and cold (alcoholic free) drinks.B :) and wet wipes to clean up.
The weather looks set fair, so please try and get along from 10am.
Once the work is done , we will close the sluice up. If there is enough of us we could even start to lay down the 'new LRP' shingle strip.
Hope to see you on Sunday:t:John

Only sighting to add to Johns list was a Common Whitethroat male from Moors East Hide
early morning. This vain hope of sprites is making us check every warbler spent ten minutes trying to get decent views of a bird by the sailing pool turned out to be another Chiffchaff. Better sharpen up on hweets and sweests with the east winds still blowing

Hi Trevor - dont know if you are aware but this is the latest Whitethroat record for the reserve (previous latest was 26th September in 1994)

Whitethroat migration

Hi Phil
Hope your having a great time in Shetland certainly winning the Shet vs Scili race. I hope you are not going to begrudge me a late Whitethroat compared to the birds on Shetland. ( too chunky for Subalp- did check though)
Dont like to doubt Mr Stat but 1971 Oct 2nd, same date, according to "The birds of Upton"
BTO Seasonal Movements Guide 18 gives last Brd Obs record as 27th Oct Calf of Man

Attachments

• Whitethroat migration1.jpg
    Whitethroat migration1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 76
Saw a very interesting raptor over the Sailing Pool late afternoon Sunday flying east. As it came from behind the trees and always had its back to me, I was unable to see any plumage. However, both the flight pattern and gliding silhouette were quite distinctive.
In flight the wingbeats were much higher and deeper than typical buzzards and when gliding the wings were held in a slight downwards arch. At other times when it was gaining height, or soaring, the wings were level so they appeared to be flat. The fingers on the primaries were also quite noticeable and the tail was proportionately longer.
As said, the bird was flying away, so I didn't see the head, which is diagnostic or the tail markings.
Not submitting this to the CR or claiming anything and did think long and hard about disclosing this sighting on the forum (know how uptight and nasty it can get and how reputations can be trashed in the ensuing aggro). More a case of look at your birds, don't be dismissive and think 'oh, another buzzard,' when almost immediately it becomes apparent this one is different.

You can only report what you saw...it's up to others how they use that info.

Keith

Its worth giving all raptors a good grilling at all times of year, particularly on migration, in case something rarer is overlooked. From Paul's careful phrasing I assume that he didnt get enough on it to call it a Honey Buzzard (which his wording alludes to).

big bad john has got 4 ruff and a dunlin on the flashes but there may be 5 i think phw was the finder come on phil now dont be shy lad:-O

live update from the Big bro there is now defo 5 ruff and ct has just had a juv common tern on the moors

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back