• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Dragonfly, double body? (1 Viewer)

Tananecu

Let me start off b saying hello to all you whom I managed to interest.

I am located in the netherlands and it is currently mid August. We have had some hot weather, mixed in with an occasional hailstorm and both the wasps near here and the butterflies have boomed.

Today during my usual smoke break I noticed the blue hue of a dragonfly but I also noticed something odd so I went in to photograph him/her.
Well, let me just show you what I saw.

If anyone has seen this before, i'd love to know at what stage it might happen. It has quite peaked my interest.

p.s. I apologise for the picture quality.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-08-12 at 3.11.51 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-12 at 3.11.51 PM.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 143
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-08-12 at 3.11.30 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-12 at 3.11.30 PM.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 148
The male (whose abdomen is still connected to the female's pronotum) has probably been predated after forming a tandem - perhaps the female was ovipositing. I think Small Red-eyed Damselfly for the species.

The male (whose abdomen is still connected to the female's pronotum) has probably been predated after forming a tandem - perhaps the female was ovipositing. I think Small Red-eyed Damselfly for the species.

I thought the same thing at first that it would maybe be the case that the little critter had mated.
However, the second body could actually move. When i got close to the little critter the lower body was first to bend and thereafter the second one also started to move somewhat.

My colleague who was with me also managed to touch the top body which could bend and move. Are the parts of an incect body not affected by rigor mortis?

Attached an extract from Tillyard - The Biology of Dragonflies. They live a bit longer than we do after a head severance!

Attachments

• tillyard.JPG
    tillyard.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back