• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Honduras (1 Viewer)

I will be visiting Honduras later this year and am wondering if this is the field guide to go for? Does anyone know how does it stack up against Howell & Webb which looks like quite a hefty tome to be carrying around!

If anyone has links to reviews that would be great also, I've been unable to find any so far.

I will be visiting Honduras later this year and am wondering if this is the field guide to go for? Does anyone know how does it stack up against Howell & Webb which looks like quite a hefty tome to be carrying around!

If anyone has links to reviews that would be great also, I've been unable to find any so far.

A couple of reviews here,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Birds...=1456058093&sr=8-1&keywords=birds+of+honduras

I have the book and it's a flexicover making it lighter than a hardback and a bit more durable than a softcover. Plates looks superb though paper quality seems quite poor but I haven't used it in the field yet.

Also inside the cover is a useful quick reference map to the better known sites which would be great in planning a trip and making for a great visual aid to route planning for those independents.

No comparison with Howell, lighter and far more relevant not having to wade through tons of species that aren't likely to be seen!.

Andy

A couple of reviews here,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Birds...=1456058093&sr=8-1&keywords=birds+of+honduras

I have the book and it's a flexicover making it lighter than a hardback and a bit more durable than a softcover. Plates looks superb though paper quality seems quite poor but I haven't used it in the field yet.

Also inside the cover is a useful quick reference map to the better known sites which would be great in planning a trip and making for a great visual aid to route planning for those independents.

No comparison with Howell, lighter and far more relevant not having to wade through tons of species that aren't likely to be seen!.

Andy

That's really useful Andy, thanks for your help.

James

Last edited:
Another important consideration is that Howell and Webb only covers Honduras west of the Sula Valley, with brief summaries of the species found further east. This means you need another guide if you are travelling further east into Olancho or the Mosquitia - both of which are well worth visiting. Even the much visited north coast of Honduras is only partially covered.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back