• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vietnam in late October-mid Nowember (1 Viewer)

kurakura

Hello,

It looks like I will be going to Vietnam in a few months. It is not 100% clear where I will be and how long. What I do know is that I will most likely have 3-4days free to do some birding/herpetology in Phu Quoc island - Any pointers to locations and maybe even contact to local birders/herpers would be much appreciated. I may have some other off days in Hanoi region and alittle info on that area would also be nice.

Regards
Kim

Hi,
in Phu Quoc you will get some rapters and shorebirds anywhere along the coast, also other birds if you get some shrub or forest. There is a national park in PQ which holds quite some good forest, but the park is (at least at the time of my last visit 2-3 years ago) not developed for tourists. I just went into the forest along the road that crosses it. There are nice birds around, but you won't find any of the Vietnam specials there.

Around Hanoi, you get several options:
- The parks of Hanoi (botanical garden, lenin park) can be good during migration (late oct should still be interesting). Best time around 8 am, have a look in the quiet corners. Good for a short visit.
- Red river island, access via the rail way bridge, also good during migration. You need a half day there.
- Ba Vi and Tam Dao National Parks are good for one day visits or weekends.
- Cuc Phuong is great for a weekend (4h drive to get there, good facilities), include a couple of hours at Van Long on the way (best around 3pm to see the very rare Delacour Langurs).
- Xuan Thuy is great during migration, though logistically a bit challenging (4h drive, need to organise a boat at the NP headquarter).
- Sapa is also good, but a bit far for just a weekend, better stay 2 nights there (8h overnight train).

For Hanoi, best follow this blog and get in touch with one of the guys posting there, sure there is an occasion to join them for getting out:
http://vietnambirdnews.blogspot.com/

Some general info on birding sites in vietnam:
http://www.vietnambirding.com/birding-sites.aspx

Enjoy! Florian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back