• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Yearlist Record Attempt (1 Viewer)

I think he has seen almost all of the families, but not sure whether he picked up Hypocolius - he will only see introduced Stitchbird on New Zealand, although that doesn't seem to bother most. I can't think what else he is missing other than Kagu - he certainly picked up Sapayoa (in Panama), one which is often one of the "last of the set" for world birders.

cheers, alan

I think he has seen almost all of the families, but not sure whether he picked up Hypocolius - he will only see introduced Stitchbird on New Zealand, although that doesn't seem to bother most. I can't think what else he is missing other than Kagu - he certainly picked up Sapayoa (in Panama), one which is often one of the "last of the set" for world birders.

cheers, alan

I don't play that game but I have some friends who do. I was thinking Hypocolius and Ibisbill when I typed my comment. Having checked are Palmchat and Magellanic Plover also misses? Presumably he will also miss Plains-Wanderer?

All the best

Last edited:
He did indeed head to Lamington and picked up some great birds. He also headed to Kedron Brook Wetlands in the middle of Brisbane where I was yesterday! I don't think he will have a huge number of additions from today, but he's seen some great birds.

Well above the needed run rate. I am expecting about 20 to be new having flicked through the e-bird species lists:-

http://www.audubon.org/news/the-species-list

http://ebird.org/ebird/region/aut/activity

All the best

cheers, alan

Did he see Elachura?

Andy

He also didn't see Palmchat, Hypocolius, Przevalski's Rosefinch or Rail-Babbler (as far as I could see on his species list). But he will have a pretty impressive family list at the end of the year!

André

well, he will have a family and life list longer than 99% of the visitors of this forum, so he is really bossing it.
In the beginning, I was a bit underwhelmed by his approach (seeing birds in the company of guides is not thát much of a challenge), but in the end, he has gone quite flawlessly through a lot of potential hazards in terms of disease, roads, weather, logistics... So congratulations, already. I am more and more convinced that he will reach 6000, but that is easy to say now, compared to last month.

He will have a few mis ID's, but in relation to his overall score, a day more of birding in a leap year, or compared to the taxonomy he uses, or compared to his rather bird less stay in Antarctica... It's pretty much a non-issue for me.
Go Noah!

I am more and more convinced that he will reach 6000, but that is easy to say now, compared to last month.

Go Noah!

166 needed from 16 days to get to that mark. 216 additions from 7 days in Queensland so far (out of 312 species seen).

I believe that he still could get c40 from the main island on Fiji (and a similar number from New Caledonia with overlap though).

It appears that he has a number of potential available seabirds. Is he likely to get these at any stage or try a pelagic? Or is he more likely to be doing that in New Zealand?

Three days of blogs to catch up.

All the best

Last edited:
Just looking at ebird: http://ebird.org/ebird/region/aut/activity
Noah has made 7 stops an Dec 15th, with 21 new species recorded.

He is very much engaged in a race and I wish him all the very best, because he sure is giving it his all.
As an amateur birder, I appreciate how wonderful it is to have a new lifer in view. It is a moment to be savored.
Birding under the gun, having to book the bird and move on as Noah is doing is obviously entirely different. It is just work. I hope his love of birding survives the experience.

The sheer scale of what he has done is remarkable. It is not simply the year ticks but e-bird shows now 1,675 checklists completed for the year. There are thousands more sightings. For instance, he added 260 species in 27 days in Colombia but as he had been birding South America for three months, this was from 749 species recorded!!

All the best

Last edited:
Just looking at ebird: http://ebird.org/ebird/region/aut/activity
Noah has made 7 stops an Dec 15th, with 21 new species recorded.

He is very much engaged in a race and I wish him all the very best, because he sure is giving it his all.
As an amateur birder, I appreciate how wonderful it is to have a new lifer in view. It is a moment to be savored.
Birding under the gun, having to book the bird and move on as Noah is doing is obviously entirely different. It is just work. I hope his love of birding survives the experience.

often you don't have to move on as the birds do that for you, a bird wave in the forest takes so much concentration and luck and with every sense working overtime and just as quickly the moment is gone.... as are the birds, often with some that you will never see again. Then you catch up with an eagerly anticipated bird that you savour every second and yes eventually you have to pull yourself away. Noah has done it all :t:
He gets up every morning with a real zest for life, a vigour for what the day will bring and is a cool cucumber even when things are a little slow \ dull \ washed out. He is nearing the end of an epic world encounter so naturally every second will be savoured even more, every hour of light will be utilised, even if he was on an educational trip or a family holiday. He really is an amazing bird lover who has fulfilled an incredible dream.

The sheer scale of what he has done is remarkable. It is not simply the year ticks but e-bird shows now 1,675 checklists completed for the year. There are thousands more sightings. For instance, he added 260 species in 27 days in Colombia but as he had been birding South America for three months, this was from 749 species recorded!!
All the best

His numbers are incredible..... talking about Colombia on its own, even I managed 666 species in 16 days of birding. Mostly with incredible views too, don't often say that about Tapaculos and Antpittas :-O

I have wondered as the species list grows, how many of the year's birding days and species seen will Noah remember?
From a trip where I have gathered a few hundred species over a week or two I find my camera a great way of recalling each day and some of what I was able to see. I have friends however who have been with me on same trip who recall very little beyond some of the prized species seen.
I hope someone has taken lots of photographs for this trip :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back