• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Frampton Marsh (1 Viewer)

I must try to get over to Frieston sometime in the next week!

Still a wader wonderland at Frampton. Star of the show tonight was a Golden Plover on the middle scrape from East Hide, ably supported by the Spotted Redshank showing very well from the 360 hide.

Completing the ensemble were at least six Green Sandpipers, seven Little Ringed Plover (including two scene-stealing juveniles), three Ringed Plover, two Common Sandpiper, three Dunlin, five Ruff and a heaving chorus line of 400+ Black-tailed Godwit.

Oh, and for the second night running there was a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo from a Snipe!

I'm still waiting for Little Stint to step back into the limelight though! Fingers crossed for this weekend. Mr BBC Weatherman is forecasting some light - but potentially promising - North Easterly winds for Saturday.

Stuck in the visitor centre for most of the day. Managed to get out for a wee while before going home. Dan was in the 360, so he might have got more stuff.

Highlights of the day were:

2 Curlew sandpiper, on the scrapes viewable from the 360 or from the watchpoint next to the road.
At least one nicely coloured knot, in the same area
5+ Marsh harriers scooting about
Easily double figures of ruff
Easily double figures of green sandpiper
A juvenile merlin, spotted by Ian first thing
Spotted redshank, still kicking about
Lots of little egrets, 30+?

Could well be lots of other nice stuff in, there was a fairly brisk NE wind for most of the day. Anyone going to come round and have a shufti for us? :)

Quiet day in the VC but plenty happening on the reserve.

Ian Ellis picked up a juvenile Merlin on the grassland this morning and it was seen again from the 360 hide later in the day. Definitely worth keeping ones eyes peeled for.

Staying with raptors, we also had reports of Hobby, Sparrowhawk and Barn Owl. At least five Marsh Harrier around the reserve again too. One male gave great views from the VC whilst hunting over the reedbed whilst another spent a good fifteen minutes quartering over the grassland - at one point putting up a flock of thirty Little Egrets.

On the wader front, the predicted north-easterly didn't bring in anything mega onto the managed part of the reserve but, combined with high tide, we had our first Turnstone, Knot and Curlew Sandpiper of the month. The Knot and a pair of Curlew Sandpiper were still mingling with a small flock of fifteen Dunlin (amidst the multitudes of Black-tailed Godwit) at 1900.

Green Sandpiper continue to be ubiquitous, whilst Ruff, Redshank, Common Sandpiper, Ringed Plover and Little Ringed Plover were all regularly viewable on the margins of the reedbed all day long.

Finally, swarms of Swifts all around the reserve today (particularly over reeds and bottom hedgerow), along with plenty of House Martin and Sand Martin to boot. Surprisingly few Swallow in comparison though!

Last edited:
Great minds think alike! :)

OK, recent news from the reserve:

Probable Monty on Sunday. Not going to say 100% as didn't get it in flight, just sat. But def not a marsh harrier, and wrong time of year for a hen harrier.

Today was a great day for waders. An incredible 25 different species on show, including wood sandpiper, spotted redshank and little stint. There is a big tide due on Thursday, so it could well be stonkingly good.

Latest news is that the little stint has been re-identified as a white rumped sandpiper (unless there is a second bird). Either way, nice rarity to have... Showing well today in front of the visitor centre

First chance I have had to post today, but I'm in the "two bird" camp, to be honest.

Granted, the light was fading when I finally picked up the Little Stint on Tuesday (thanks for the heads-up, Boy Wonder :t:), but it wasn't dark either and I had clear unobstructed views. I didn't see anything that made me think that it was anything but a "classic" Little Stint.

Having had decent views of the White-rumped Sandpiper this evening (and recalling the one from last year), I really don't think it is the same bird. The WRS seems to me much darker with far more streaking on the breast. It almost blended in with the mud on the scrapes making it difficult to pick up again if you scoped away from it. The bird last night stood out clearly in virtually identical habitat (and from a similar distance) and could be readily re-found, even with binoculars.

That's my two-penneth anyway!

Anyway. Enjoyable early evening with plenty of people present and, more importantly, lots of birds:-

Black-tailed Godwit x c750
Dunlin x c300
White-rumped Sandpiper x 1
Wood Sandpiper x 4
Green Sandpiper x 9
Common Sandpiper x 3
Curlew Sandpiper x 6
Knot x 3
Spotted Redshank x 1
Greenshank x 1
Turnstone x 1
Whimbrel x 1
Snipe x 2
Golden Plover x 21 (over)
Grey Plover x 4
Ringed Plover x 2
Little Ringed Plover x 1
Ruff x 11

Your two-penneth is very welcome and much appreciated Dan. Shows the value of notes and records, a part of birding I always encourage when asked by younger enthusiasts or those newer to the game. Sadly a skill/part of birding that has declined in the digital age. Be good to hear what any one else thinks. Don't suppose you know if there are any pictures of the WRS do you? Nice work with the male Monty's too. Still not seen one in this country so good to hear there's a chance of bumping into one.

So, who wants a three bird theory?

We now have a bird that is conclusively (I hope) a Baird's Sandpiper. In the same places as the previous two birds. Some are saying it is the same one, others that this is something new.

I think I need a lie down in a darkened room for a bit...

Still two birds for me!

Has the Baird's Sandpiper been more mobile around the reedbed during the day, Chris? From my visits the last two evenings, it seems to have stuck fairly religiously to the spit of scrape directly in front of the raised island looking straight out from of the VC.

Good thread all, visited for first time in 2012 on several dates in Sept while holidaying in area, then again for a few days earlier this year (May) A credit to the RSPB a brilliant reserve, good access and parking ( we visit in a motorhome so parking is sometimes a problem at some sites)

Staff both permanent and voluntary deserve special mention for their dedication and helpfulness, big thanks from us.

Its nice to see these updates on whats about, thanks all :clap::clap::clap:

Cheers Phil. Detour from Sunday lunch then? ;)

Dan, the bird spent most of today on some of the flat mud islands to the right of the centre.

The big issue with the bird is it far prefers walking to flying, and so views of the rump have been minimal to say the least!

Good thread all, visited for first time in 2012 on several dates in Sept while holidaying in area, then again for a few days earlier this year (May) A credit to the RSPB a brilliant reserve, good access and parking ( we visit in a motorhome so parking is sometimes a problem at some sites)

Staff both permanent and voluntary deserve special mention for their dedication and helpfulness, big thanks from us.

Many thanks :)

See companian thread on the Rare Bird Information section of BF: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=262606

The view is that today's and yesterday's birds are one and the same (and its a Baird's)
Oh, I totally agree that today's and yesterday's bird are the one and the same.

There is some question whether a Little Stint picked up on Tuesday night might actually have been the Baird's as well! So the two bird theory that you talk about briefly on the thread that you have kindly linked to is actually a three bird theory amongst some of us here!!! Confusing, huh!?! :eek!:

:t::t::t:

Baird's sandpiper still showing well, right in front of the visitor centre. If you are visiting, do pop in for a cuppa and support the reserve!

Also about is a little tern, 5 curlew sandpipers and 3 wood sandpipers. All on the freshwater scrapes from the 360 hide

Sorry it has been a touch quiet. I've been on days off or away from the reserve and Toby is off on leave.

The Baird's didn't stay past Friday, but we do now have a pectoral sandpiper out on reserve. Started off the day showing well on the reedbed lagoon, later moved to near the east hide.

A young cuckoo was another good spot. Plenty of other sanpipers around too. And what seems like dozens of ruff. Surely must get another goody turning up before too long! Keep thinking we are due a phalarope...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back