• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Frampton Marsh (6 Viewers)

Additional sightings reported from Freiston yesterday.....
32 Black Terns offshore with Common, Sandwich and single Little Tern passing, 6 Whimbrel overhead, Mediterranean Gull and a couple of Spotted Flycatchers.

I see someone has reported Franklins gull at Freiston today....

Still great numbers of black-tailed godwits today at Frampton, one observer reckoned a peak of 4000 birds. A Montagu's harrier was reported over the saltmarsh from 'raptor point', with both hen and marsh harriers also about. Half a dozen wheatear were on the sea bank. Still 2 little stint on the scrapes. And a dozen clouded yellow butterflies along the hedgerow.

Wryneck present 500 yards along bank towards the river mouth this evening and giving rewarding views to those willing to make a bit of a walk. Spent plenty of time flitting down from the cover of the bushes and onto the ground.

After a weekend of non-birding (B :)), it was a pleasant welcome home!

Last edited:
The Wryneck was still present along the bank this afternoon and giving spectacular views. At one point it dropped onto a low branch no more than six feet in front of myself and another couple of birders. Having seen it a couple of times now, I think you get the best views by, after locating it, dropping onto the bottom of the bank on the saltmarsh side and just waiting for it to flit out of cover.

Continued up to Tabs Head and was rewarded with a couple of Little Tern fishing in the river mouth, a pair of Eider and a Whimbrel on the Welland side and small parties of Ringed Plover and Oystercatcher scattered across the mudflats. Also, two Whitethroat and a Willow Warbler amongst the shrubbery and a Grey Partridge skulking amongst some long grass on the top of the bank on the way back.

Oh, and the Merlin was sat on a fencepost in the middle of the grassland when I arrived.

Much quiter this evening.

Didn't go for the Wryneck tonight but a Barnacle Goose was feeding on the wet grassland, there were several Pintail on the scrapes, a couple of Marsh Harriers were hunting over the saltmarsh and the Merlin was chilling out in it's usual spot.

Aside from the one on the path to the Witham mouth, there have been another two wrynecks reported, just outside the reserve.

Also a little stint on the reedbed

There were two different wrynecks seen today.

The first was in the place it has been all week. On the path down to the mouth of the Witham. It was seen well early on, but as more people arrived it grew increasingly elusive. Allegedly this was not helped by some people crowding the bird (hint: stay back, and it comes out on the path. Get too close and it dives into cover and you won't get any kind of view/picture)

A second bird was then located in a small bush below the sea bank (on the salt marsh side), between the east hide and the bottom 'car park'. It showed in the afternoon, until it was disturbed by a chap walking his dog and flew off in the direction of the other bird.

Reputable observers confirm this was not the same bird, due to differences in plumage.

I'd advise getting down there as early as possible, to give yourself the best chance of seeing it.

Also about today were:

Spotted redshank - 2 feeding in front of the 360 hide
Little stint - 3 on the scrapes
Curlew Sandpiper - 2 on the scrapes

Raptors were well represented by merlin, peregrine, hobby, kestrel, sparrowhawk, buzzard and marsh harrier.

I forgot yesterday to mention the whinchat on the 'earth' pile behind the reedbed

Frampton 03/09/13 1400hrs - 1600hrs Little Stint, Spotted Redshank 3, Whimbrel, Curlew Sandpiper 2, Greenshank 2 plus usual. Several parties of Martins and Swallows dropping down to drink then quickly moving on.

Last edited:
A visit to this excellent reserve today to try for the wryneck failed. I walked out from the VC at c.07:40 and spent until 10:05 looking along the path. Not aware that there have been any reports today, perhaps should have checked the weather forecast! Nice sighting on sparrowhawk having a go at the starling flock near the car park. Common sand from the Reedbank (bed) hide. Reed warbler in trees along the river side. High numbers of swallow and house martins along this path. I do wish this reserve was more accessible for me, nearly 3 hours for 100 miles across country. Never fails to impress when I do visit, usually tied in with a Norfolk trip.

Phil

Here's hoping that you get to come again soon, Phil. :t:

Highlights on scrapes this evening (1800-1930):-

Little Stint x 2
Curlew Sandpiper x 8
Spotted Redshank x 4
Greenshank x 11
Common Sandpiper x 1
Whimbrel x 1
Avocet x 2
Ringed Plover x 19
Dunlin x c40

Still loads of Snipe and Ruff all over the place. With the caveat that I tend to shoot a tad low with my counts, I got a peak of 1,600 Black-tailed Godwit on South Scrape this evening.

Also about:

Marsh Harrier x 1
Kestrel x 2
Little Owl x 1
Turtle Dove x 1

Loads around on the reserve this evening.

Huge numbers of Black-tailed Godwit (comfortably 3500+) with oodles of Knot, Dunlin and Ringed Plover swirling around and more Snipe and Ruff than one could shake a stick at.

Spent much of the evening scoping from the path between the 360 and Reedbed Hides, where there were at least four Little Stint picking around the pool verges and fourteen Curlew Sandpipers in several small parties strewn across middle scrape. There was easily a double figure count of extremely boisterous Greenshank around too whilst a trio of Spotted Redshank looked absolutely stunning when bathed in the low evening light.

Several Little Ringed Plover were present too, as was a single Green Sandpiper, whilst the Common Sandpiper was in its regular feeding spot in front of the reedbed hide.

All in all, a cracking, warm and still early Autumn evening, topped off by a Kingfisher flying low over the reedbed.

Stinking weather tonight but still at least five Little Stint, half a dozen Curlew Sandpiper, a Spotted Redshank, a Little Ringed Plover and a Common Sandpiper all still about on the scrapes.

Hirundine activity was pretty impressive despite the rain. Loads of Swallow, a surprising number of Sand Martin and a handful of House Martin were all swooping over the reedbed.

Sorry for being quiet, both the Boy Wonder and I have been away on training courses.

Big news of the day, dotterel on the wet grassland, first thing in the morning.

Seven Little Stint, four Curlew Sandpiper and three Spotted Redshank on the scrapes this evening. Best place for the first two remains the rapidly diminishing pools alongside the path between the turn for the 360 hide and the Reedbed Hide.

Snipe were a little less conspicuous than in recent weeks but still good numbers of Ruff around, along with a trio of lingering Avocet, ten Ringed Plover and thirty or so Dunlin scattered around south and middle scrapes.

Plenty of House Martin around tonight, mingling with the swallows, along with a handful of Sand Martin. A notable flock of 25+ Linnet also briefly descended on middle scrape before scattering towards the seabank.

Pretty much the same waders this evening as Dan had (7 Little Stint, 3 Curlew Sand, 3 Spot Shank, 5 Avocet) though there were 12 Little Stint seen at the start of the week. At about 17:10, 2,000+ Black-tailed Godwit came onto the reserve from the Wash. Incredible views and noise. Also around were Hobby, Merlin, Marsh Harrier, Greenshank and 2 Green Sandpipers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back