• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 mid range roof binoculars? (Hawke vs Vortex or others) (1 Viewer)

Nordavind

Hi (excuse me for my bad english). I recently bought two binoculars, a Vortex Diamondback 8x42 and a Hawke Endurance ED 8x42, both returned for mechanical defects! :( (And with the Vortex I was disappointed because there were a lot of chromatic aberrations, instead with the Hawke, thanks to ED glass, it was perfect).

So I was thinking of buying a better pair of binoculars, with a budget of about € 4-500 ... what do you recommend? I'm looking for an 8x42 roof bino for birdwatching, if possible in green color ... and with ED glass.

For example I like:
- Vortex Viper HD 2018
- Hawke Frontier ED X

Ps there are two Frontier versions, one "HD X" and the other "ED X" ... so I have a doubt: even the Vortex is defined as HD, is not synonymous of ED glass?

If you have advice from other brands (Meopta, Minox, etc., etc.) or if you know the strenghts and the weaknesses of the two binoculars that I mentioned, please advise me, thank you!

Hi (excuse me for my bad english). I recently bought two binoculars, a Vortex Diamondback 8x42 and a Hawke Endurance ED 8x42, both returned for mechanical defects! :
I also ordered Hawke Endurance ED 8x42, but returned it because it didn't feel much better or lighter than my old cheap bins.

Then I ordered Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 for 300€ and they are great! Very light with immersive, wide and comfortable view. They are also available in 8x42 size and even they are light too, but they cost more, like 400-500€. Bigger model might be easier to use with eye positioning, with less glare and maybe better eye relief to use with glasses.

What I have read, Viper and Hawke pic quality is close the same with Monarchs 7's.

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to Birdforum!

You could either try to find sth nice used from the $1000 class like Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Swaro SLC, Nikon HGL or Monarch HG (the latter are fairly new and there might be few used examples around).

If you want to buy new, the Nikon M7 is of course an option, although I think the 8x30 model is more interesting as in the 8x30 class its low weight and tiny size are a huge boon.

Olympus has released its new PRO 8x42 at the 450€ pricepoint at the end of last year - there is almost no reviews out there yet but I found two short ones that are quite positive (and one of them is from a well respected BF member)...

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3788503
https://www.allbinos.com/1937-Olympus_8x42_PRO-binoculars_specifications.html

Might be an idea too... I'll try to get a look through one in the electronics stores over here that sell Oly cameras...

Joachim

Last edited:
Agree about Nikon HGL 8x42, still occasionally available new, still being a strong contender.

I found it is perhaps not quite as sharp, bright, or wide angle as e.g. Zeiss FL but handles well and is more comfortable than most all around when wearing glasses. Colour is one of its virtues and in particular it is sharp nearly to the circumference, focus action very light and smooth, and it seems very well made.

Last edited:
You could also consider the Minox BL 8x44 HD (not the BR). I really liked the 8x33, so I assume the 8x44 is also pretty great (I have not tried the x44). The 8x44 is about 450 euro new.

I was not super impressed with the Meopta Meopro 8x32, but I have not tried the 8x42, which is also right in that 450 euro price range. In the 8x32 model, some of the ergonomics were off for me and I did not think the handled flare well.

I looked over ebay.it to get an idea of pricing on used. It looks like the Zeiss Conquest or Leica Trinovid HD will be ~600-800 euro. The for sale section of this site usually has the Zeiss around 500 - 800 GBP, so about inline with what I saw on ebay.

My vote is for a Meopta Meopro HD 8X42. I've had one two months....I REALLY like it for a binocular in the $400 range. I have had zero issues with it. Should be readily available close to you.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 108
  • fullsizeoutput_1063.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1063.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 213
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back