• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gilet type-thing (1 Viewer)

Robin Pearson

Herts irregular
Anyone know/recommend where I can get a lightweight gilet (if you're female) or body-warmer (if you're male).

It needs to be some nondescript colour - grey or brown - with several patch pockets and made in canvas or nylon like material. Oh, and fairly cheap.

I need it for birding on warm days and somewhere to put all the bits when I'm digiscoping. Cheers.

Robin Pearson said:
Anyone know/recommend where I can get a lightweight gilet (if you're female) or body-warmer (if you're male).

It needs to be some nondescript colour - grey or brown - with several patch pockets and made in canvas or nylon like material. Oh, and fairly cheap.

I need it for birding on warm days and somewhere to put all the bits when I'm digiscoping. Cheers.

I bought a Regatta gilet last year in Norfolk for only £20 & it's excellent. Plenty of pockets for lens caps, notebook, field guide etc, it's stone coloured. If you do a Google search for Regatta stockists you should find one near you or on the net. The Country Innovation one is excellent but your talking almost £100 I can't justify spending that much when the Regatta more than does the job.

Cheers,

John.

I use the Country Innovation waistcoat....11 pockets....and from memory it only cost about £50.00 I have had cheaper ones, indeed have got a cotton one that only cost 15 euros but not a patch on the CI waistcoat. The large pockets will take a fieldguide, whilst the internal pockets are great for holding car keys etc in safety

I've got the Craghoppers gillet which is on sale here
Absolutely perfect for summer use with a Tshirt, made from very light polyamide with a mesh lining - has lots of pockets including one at the back which I haven't figured out yet, has a double fold collar which can cover the back of your neck - antibacteria/antimosi.
I'm a bit of a clothesahollic and have gear I don't use much but the gillet is a real favourite - in winter it'll go under a windsmock to provide pockets that smocks don't have.

It's worth a browse on ebay - I picked up a brand new Regatta one for under a fiver a few weeks back. The Craghoppers ones probably have the edge though. Columbia used to do a good one as well - might be worth a look in Millets sale.

Richard D said:
It's worth a browse on ebay - I picked up a brand new Regatta one for under a fiver a few weeks back. The Craghoppers ones probably have the edge though. Columbia used to do a good one as well - might be worth a look in Millets sale.

Cheers men! I'va had a look at all of them and my favourite is the Craghopper's Outback gilet. Shame they've run out of the half-price ones on craghoppers.co.uk but I've picked one up at a discount from another store. Nothing doing on Ebay unfortunately.

I'll be the best-dressed dude at the next twitch! :t:

Attachments

• gilet.jpg
    gilet.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back