• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windstopper Gloves (1 Viewer)

tom24

Anyone able to recommend a pair of w/s gloves?
If it's cold with even the slightest breeze,then most gloves are pretty useless, apart from really thick ones which don't allow the dexterity needed for birding.
I've not researched this much, but of late cold hands have began to annoy me more than usual.
It's not hand warmers or mittens i'm looking for,but real w/s gloves thin enough to allow writing.

Hi Tom,
I use a pair of thinsulate shooting mitts, fingerles gloves with a mitten end that can slip over the fingers. Flicking the mitt off allows me to write but when the mitt is in place the gloves are extremely warm and the mitt is thin enough for me to operate the focus on both 'scope and bins. Never found a pair of gloves thin enough to write when wearing them, that kept my hands warm enough.

I've had a couple of pairs of Berghaus gloves made out of Gore Windstopper fabric - they do the job very well.

tom24 said:
Anyone able to recommend a pair of w/s gloves?
If it's cold with even the slightest breeze,then most gloves are pretty useless, apart from really thick ones which don't allow the dexterity needed for birding.
I've not researched this much, but of late cold hands have began to annoy me more than usual.
It's not hand warmers or mittens i'm looking for,but real w/s gloves thin enough to allow writing.
The best way we have found to keep warm is to use a pair of glove liners inside a pair of lambskin or other wind resistant material. The extra layer of the liner seems to make a vast difference to the insulating effect. It would still be possible to write but not with ease, I suppose.

My son has that odd thing called Raynaud's syndrome and he gets white fingers easily in winter and the above is the only solution we have found having spent a small fortune over the years on different gloves - including some very pricey ones from 'mountain' shops. The secret is in the two layers, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Have been using liners for many years - by far the best way of beating the cold & wind on the hands.

Picked up a pair of lovely thin duofold liners about 5 years ago (super warm on their own) and use them in conjunction with a pair of Nomex flying gloves (VERY long, leather palms for grip) - this is an excellent combination for the winter.

Gore Windstopper based gloves are okay, in that they do stop wind chill, but don't provide a great deal of insulation. Personally I find Polartec Windpro works better for gloves, it stops most of the wind, is warmer and dries quicker. Outdoor Designs do a good range of gloves.

Both my girlfriend (who suffers from Raynaud's syndrome) and myself wear Tog 24 windstopper gloves, excellent gloves, just right for birding

Silk liners from Millets & Thinsulate fleece gloves, the liners are handy as they provide protection when the gloves are off for adjusting focus wheels etc.

bob hastie said:
Both my girlfriend (who suffers from Raynaud's syndrome) and myself wear Tog 24 windstopper gloves, excellent gloves, just right for birding
Hi! Do they always stop the white finger syndrome? And which gloves from the range do you mean?

scampo said:
Hi! Do they always stop the white finger syndrome? And which gloves from the range do you mean?

Hi Scampo
I wear the falkland glove, the other half wears the estonia glove (The falkland glove is on special at the moment £17 XL only)
Never had cold hands whilst wearing these gloves

bob hastie said:
Hi Scampo
I wear the falkland glove, the other half wears the estonia glove (The falkland glove is on special at the moment £17 XL only)
Never had cold hands whilst wearing these gloves
Thanks very much for replying. It's a shame they are only available in XL... Does your girlfriend find that they do stop the Raynaud's coming on? My son struggles with this - it really is a difficulty. I wonder how "large" XL is - he has largish hands!

Last edited:
According to her that SHOULD (note- I didn't say must) be obeyed, They have stopped her Raynauds every time as long as her hands were warm before she put them on, i.e. in the car. As for the XL size, I have quite large hands and take a large in these gloves.
I don't know how close your nearest Tog24 store is but if there is one nearby it's worth popping along.

bob hastie said:
According to her that SHOULD (note- I didn't say must) be obeyed, They have stopped her Raynauds every time as long as her hands were warm before she put them on, i.e. in the car. As for the XL size, I have quite large hands and take a large in these gloves.
I don't know how close your nearest Tog24 store is but if there is one nearby it's worth popping along.
Thanks again - I'll look into their availability. I never thought of that!

Found some today.
Bought a pair of Le Chameau windstoppers.Very light and thin,pack away to a small bundle too.Still to test in a cold wind though.

Dont bother with windstopper, its rubbish .... too expensive, no proper insulation, and when it gets wet its useless and take ages to dry. Trust me.

You are better off with just normal fleece which will provide more warmth and hand movement, and then if it gets really cold/windy or starts to rain carry a waterproof outer glove (e.g. Gore-tex etc) that goes over the top.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back