• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passerine (Ebro Delta, Spain) (1 Viewer)

All three feature Reed Warbler IMO.

But which reed warbler?

Remember IOC have split Eurasian Reed Warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus and African Reed Warbler Acrocephalus baeticatus, with Iberian breeders included in the latter (but the former also present on passage . . .) :t:

I'd not have a clue how to distinguish them, does it need a DNA sample?

But which reed warbler?

Remember IOC have split Eurasian Reed Warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus and African Reed Warbler Acrocephalus baeticatus, with Iberian breeders included in the latter (but the former also present on passage . . .) :t:

I'd not have a clue how to distinguish them, does it need a DNA sample?

According to Reed and Bush Warblers,

'Eurasian cannot be safely identified using plumage features alone. It's much longer primary projection (c70% of the tertial length) provides the only, reliable means of distinguishing them so separation relies upon getting a good view of the wing point.'

Seems a bit contradictory, tells you they can't safely be done then tells you how they can?

African doesn't occur in the Ebro Delta, information above relates to nominate Eurasion which winter in W Africa.

A

Last edited:

'Eurasian cannot be safely identified using plumage features alone. It's much longer primary projection (c70% of the tertial length) provides the only, reliable means of distinguishing them so separation relies upon getting a good view of the wing point.'

Seems a bit contradictory, tells you they can't safely be done then tells you how they can?

African doesn't occur in the Ebro Delta, information above relates to nominate Eurasion which winter in W Africa.

A
It does now, based on data in Olsson et al 2016 (per IOC), subsequent to Reed and Bush Warblers (2010) :t:

A. b. ambiguus(Brehm, AE, 1857)Iberian Pen. and nw AfricaSSPGenetically and phenotypically distinct from [FONT=Calibri,Arial]A. s. scirpaceus[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Arial] to which it has been traditionally been synonymized. Tentatively included in [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Arial]A. baeticatus[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Arial]. Olsson et al, 2016.[/FONT]

So there you are Sergio, it's either Eurasian or African Reed Warbler, first week of July would most likely relate to a breeding bird I would imagine, which on reading the above contributions favours African.
Although an early failed breeding Eurasian cannot be ruled out of course.;)

How I yearn for the days when Marsh Tit and Willow Tit were thought to be one species, it was all fields around here then........

I'm no scientist and traditionally find a lot of this stuff hard to understand so, the IOC list states the following for ambiguuusthat supposedly occurs in Spain.....

'Genetically and phenotypically distinct from A. s. scirpaceus to which it has been traditionally been (sic) synonymized. Tentatively included in A. baeticatus. Olsson et al, 2016.'

Rather than African Reed Warbler, it seems to me that they migh not know what it is, Iberian Reed Warbler?

A

Last edited:
The breeding Reed Warblers we have down here in southern Portugal should also be of the Iberian/African type - I have not yet had a good enough look at wing length in the field but its certainly not an obvious feature. I'd be a lot happier to treat them as a species if there were differences in song, which seem very similar/identical to scirpaceus to me - though I haven't heard these on breeding grounds for many years, just some singing migrants. Has any analysis been done comparing songs?

A
Does that make this one an African?

Photo taken at Candasnos, Aragon in May 2011.

Attachments

• Reed-Warbler-(1)-bforum.jpg
    Reed-Warbler-(1)-bforum.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back