• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caithness Birding (1 Viewer)

info please

Hi all we will be up you neck of the woods for a week in june just wondering if you could give us the low down on where the hot spots are that time of year We were going to look back on your forum but its only a new one (oct 06 ) I will save all info as we are starting to get excited now only 6 months to go please wet our apatite for a great weeks birding
Thanks will and liam cook

I didn't do much on Sunday other than pop out to Bardnaclavan again and then along as far as the Shebster Garage and back so wasn't out for that long. At least I think that was Sunday.............it seems so long ago now.

I saw a very dark back, reddish breasted bird of prey that had a white band across the upside of the top of its tail. It was just before the Barnaheigh Farm/Achalone turn off. I went down the Achalone Road to get better view as I wasn't confident as to what it was. Could it have been a juvenile Hen Harrier ? From all of my books I would like to say that it was a Montagu's Harrier but the maps don't show it as coming up here which has left me unsure. It was very dark reddish underneath not as pale as the books show for the juv Hen Harrier. It kept flying low over the grass and bushes and then went back to the Barnaheigh side of the road and flew back and forth along what looked like brussell sprout stalks sticking up from the ground (not good with ID'ing veg and crops !).

I had a drive out over Shebster/Broubster/Calder/Lieurary and home on New Years Day but didn't see much atall going about as I was too busy scanning the fields for geese, I was on a mission.

Saw various ducks on the Calder Loch, 2 buzzards over the trees on the Lieurary Road, loads of fieldfares (my first of the season, yipee), flocks of redwings and lots of chaffinches all over the place. Still didn't see any Waxwings this year, boo hoo.

I had the grand total of 18 blackbirds in my garden on Friday morning, all at once. I have never had that many before. On the Wednesday before that I had 12 which I thought was rather a lot. Had my first greenfinch in the Garden on Sunday so things are picking up again. I have been getting visited by a solo song thrush every morning over the holidays, it comes early and goes away early before the bullies arrive. It doesn't seem to like a crowd of birds around.

What a tremendous list of birds you got for your 3 hours out on Tuesday Kas. Where did you see the pintails and kittiwakes? I haven't seen pintails this year. What time of year do the kittiwakes normally turn up in this neck of the woods? Is it way too early for them, did you see a lot of them or a stray few?

I haven't been around these areas since a while. These are my favourite locations to do in a round trip as there are so many different birds to be seen on this route, but I hadn't been birding for ages until last week and with the weather so poor and all the geese on the doorstep I have only been nipping back and forth to the goose flocks at Barndnaclavan and Barnaheigh, I am becoming a lazy birder, tut tut. I need to get out walking again so roll on some dry weekends.

I never ever appreciated the lure of geese before this winter. I know that you used to love hearing them coming in and love this time of year but I was too ignorant as to their appeal, until now that is. It is quite addictive popping back and forth to see how many there are at different times of the day and when I eventually saw a neck band for myself well that made it all the more exciting. What a dull life I must lead to get so excited over a neck collar on a goose. Hee hee hee.

I also haven't noticed the dark flashes on the under bellies of the white fronted geese until this year. I used to only look for the white above their beak but it is easier to see the dark flashes first and then go up to the beak to double check. I learn something everytime I go out which is great.

Would love to hear a confident ID re the Hen Harrier / Montagu Harrier that I possibly saw.

Rin

Greylag Neck Collar Info Received

I have received back information on the two greylag neck collars that I saw at the weekend.

JFZ was ringed at Dalreoch, Aberuthven, Tays, Grid Ref NN9917 on 06/02/1999. It has been seen at 17 other locations around Scotland since then but not spotted anywhere exotic as yet ! It was first reported this winter in Caithness on 11/11/2006 and hadn't been reported since 28/12/2004.

SYZ was ringed at Loch Eye, Grid Ref NH8277 on 09/11/2002 and has been seen at 8 other locations mostly around Scotland but once in Donegal on 19.01.2003 since being ringed. It was last reported on 05/12/2005 near Loch Eye.

Thanks to Bob Swann and Kane Brides for this information. Very quick response, excellent service and history detail.

Thanks guys.

Rin x

will@bill said:
Hi all we will be up you neck of the woods for a week in june just wondering if you could give us the low down on where the hot spots are that time of year We were going to look back on your forum but its only a new one (oct 06 ) I will save all info as we are starting to get excited now only 6 months to go please wet our apatite for a great weeks birding
Thanks will and liam cook

Check out the birdwatching message board thread on www.Caithness.org and some of the other links on this website meantime. You will probably have to register to see some of these areas but it will give you lots of information regarding Caithness and what goes on around this area. You could put a new thread on the birdwatching message board for info and you will be surprised as to how much info you will receive from the friendly locals.....look forward to seeing you in June.

I am sure that you will receive lots more info here once we have had a chance to look back at our records.

Be in touch soon.

Thanks to Santa, I managed 2 hours yesterday, the young chill came with me without any complaints, and played on his new Nitendo DS ( a video game.)

I spent a good while at the Harbour trying to get a photo of an Iceland, not as easy as it had been on previous occasions. They gave me the run around but bagged one eventually.

Turnstones, various gull species, shags, cormorants, and Balck gulliemots in the Harbour.

Then went on a wild goose chase. 350 Greylags and 40 white fronts in total.
3 Neckbands 2 WFs with Orange P4S and P9S, and a Greylag with Grey Nab. The latter was ringed in North Iceland in 2000, a female an has overshot her normal wintering grounds, as she tends to prefer Orkney.

Stuck at home today.

A buzzard on the neigbours post was a nice surprise, but in general the bay has been disappointing. There does not appear to be the numbers that there normally is this time of year. Good numbers of Redshank approx (100), Oystercatcher (approx 60), and Gulls (too many to attept to count, although the commons out numbered the other species put together.)

The Ringed Plovers reappeared after being absent for about a month with 30 below the house, some Hooded Crows and there were 12 Curlew.

However there was only 1 GN Diver, 3 RT divers, 3 Eider, 4 Long-tailed ducks (last year they were into the hundreds) 20 Shags and a few Cormorants. Normally this time of year the bay is bursting with birds, so fingers crossed it gets better.

No sign of any Goldeneye, Purple sandpipers, Black Guillemots in the bay, just the ones in the Harbour, or rock pipits.

A Common seal was below the house all day and was a pleasure to watch. I only took the camera to the Harbour, and the Black Guillemot was camera shy so I only managed a rear view.

Attachments

• ice.jpg
    ice.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 83
  • bg.jpg
    bg.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 103
A bit of re-occuring theme with the geese neckbands, but I find it fascinating.

From Tony Fox on the 2 Greenland White fronts with neckbands. P9P may have been there too, but there was a dip in the land preventing the whole flock from being visible. Stan saw the three birds in November along the road at Oust.

The birds were caught in autumn 2005 at Hvanneyri Agricultural University in the western part of Iceland, part of a large catch of birds we undertook there that year. They returned to Islay in the Inner Hebrides that winter, but as you will see from the attached listing of resightings, this winter they turned up in Caithness. This is pretty unusual, as we generally reckon that although about 14% of geese change wintering site between years, most of these are when young birds leave their parents and pair up with new mates, some of which may use different winter site necessitating a change. However, in this case, the entire group has made a move, because P4S and P9P were both adult females at capture and P9S was an adult male. We do not know their precise relationships, but it is highly likely thay are closely related.

Today was supposed to be my first birding day of the new year but it didn't work out that like that. Central heating system blew last night and had to spend the day getting it sorted.

Finally got out the door late aftenoon so decided just to have a quick look at Scrabster Hbr. Still a couple of 1W Iceland Gulls there. Light was fading but managed to get a few photos. Hope the weather holds for tomorrow.

Cheers
Iain

Attachments

• IcelandGull1W(10-01-07).jpg
    IcelandGull1W(10-01-07).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 95
Well the weather didn't hold, Scrabster weather station recorded gusts to 90 mph today. Went out anyway but did most of the birding from the car. Count of 62 Whoopers at Broubster Leans was the highlight of the day and despite the awful conditions managed to see 54 species.

Iain

No birding today due to the after effects of too much grape juice and the persistent rain. We were however at the harbour in the rain and there were 4 Iceland Gulls that we saw, and this was in the dark. 3 1w on the end of the oil tanker pier and one flying around. There may have been more around, I suppose these may have been blown in with all the wind, which looks set to continue next week with the possibility of more severe gales.

I had another neckband on Tuesday whilst traveling home from work.
Orange CBA.

I dont remember if I mentioned the lack of birds in Thurso bay recently but I have heard a possible theory, which defenitley applies to the gulls. The removal of the sewage pipe. There were always a large group of gulls around there. The new treatment plant now releases at 2 spots further along but the waste is now chemically treated more.

It sounds plausable. Anyone any ideas.

I hope it is a half decent day tomorrow and I will try to get out.

kas said:
No birding today due to the after effects of too much grape juice -

I hope it is a half decent day tomorrow and I will try to get out.

This grape juice seems to be a common theme !

Hope weather is better for you tomorrow but don't think that it will be going by the noice outside tonight. Fingers crossed.

Let me know how you get on.

Remember everyone I am using this thread to get details for my UK Bird Sightings column so keep the reports coming or we won't have an entry in the Birdwatching magazine next month.

New DVDs out from RSPB

1. British Birds of Prey

2. Birdwatching in Scotland

Going to google these to see if cheaper anywhere else.

Have you got these? Are they any good?

Will save me having to ask for ID info on other thread, as not sure want to do that again. First experience very disturbing.

Has anyone seen pinkfeet geese this side of the county yet?

Cheers

Off to bed now, night night

can i just say that i love living on the thames estuary and all the places that it throws up for me to go birding,even some of the sites not in essex etc etc but i am so envious of you chaps for living in scotland and one of what i can only describe as one of the last wilderness' in the world,it must be an absolute pleasure to get up in the morning and search your surroundings,we all have our places which we feel we belong but i guess some just are born lucky,look after the environment you live in and i hope that we can safe guard it for you with the things we do in everyday life,from a london birder!!!

Some very nice comments there Robert. Our 2 Local patches are worlds apart but both have their own unique wonders. My parents took my son to London last summer and did all the tourist things, yet when I go back the 2 things I would love to do are the Wetlands Centre and Hamstead Heath. Now I am sure there are little wonders far better, but these are 2 places I have seen on Tv and would love to see some time. I will be watching your own thread with interest.

Caithness is a wilderness, but the windmills are changing that without getting on to a debate on them, but they are placing them in unspoilt areas, and I personally think it is a shame. I would rather they place them on the outskirts of the town. If all the applications get the go ahead, then they will be everywhere.

What promised to be a good 2 hours birding on Sunday was cut very short by the darn wind and rain.

Scott had critters had the Dunnet Ranger Station making totem poles for the forest. So myself the dog, scope and bins headed on to the beach for a refreshing walk to see what the rocks, beach and bay had to offer.

As soon as we were on the beach a small flock of Snow Bunting flew right past us. Great start. Most of the birds appeared to be on the rocks at the east end, so we waded through the streams some rather deep due to the rain, but the new boots did me proud.

A quick scan with the bins showed Ringed Plover, Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Curlew, Rock Pipit, Hooded Crow, GBB Gull, BH Gull, H Gull, C Gull and Cormorant on the rocks. A juv Gannet almost flew over the top of us it was so close to the shore, Red-breasted Megansers and shags on the water. At this point we were 15 mins on the beach. Then it started to rain and the wind picked up. So i covered the scope, and waited for what I though was a passing shower to pass. 10 mins later it was getting heavier and windier. The wind was from the west, from which the beach has no shelter.

A Kestrel was hunting the dunes, despite the rain. Obviously it has mastered hunting in this type of weather, as it would need to living here.

Another 10 mins and I headed back to the car, it was no use as I would have needed windscreen wipers on the optics to see anything, and Miss Organised was not wearing waterproof trousers so I was soaked through.

Much to the dogs disappointment I headed home to change before going back out for the bairn.

When arriving back at the carpark the resident Buzzard was in position on the telegraph pole. I went upstairs to the Ranger station and here I saw some spectacular birds and mammals, sadly they were all stuffed though. (All died naturally.)
However from the window here, I spotted Long-tailed Ducks,a Red-throated diver and 2 Great-Northern divers. Although there did not appear to be the same number of birds as in previous visits.

I then had to go home as the bairn had other plans in the town. Of course it turned out to be a lovely afternoon as well. Typical.

Had reports of 250 Lapwing and 1000 Golden Plover at Rattar. Also a few Glaucous Gulls in fields scattered around the Dunnet area. There were still 4 1w Icelands around Scrabster Harbour on Monday as well.

Sorry that was a bit long winded.
Snow Forecast for Monday/Tuesday. Although I do not think it will last as it is due to get mild again mid week. Poor birds must be wondering what is going on. I saw a dead Hedgehog on the road yesterday, it should be hibernating. Poor creature.

Last edited:
As i will keep a close eye on this thread kas,i am hoping to get up to the north of scotland at some point this year as i have always wanted to visit the highlands and beyond(been to the highlands once when i was 7,but don't remember too much apart from stunning scenary)am hoping to take in orkney,shetland and the faroes as well if i can get enough time off work,am currently in negotiaions with my boss for a 6 week holiday!!!

Last edited:
Sunday

:hi:

Been having withdrawl symptoms with being cooped up for too long now, so took a short drive out to Shebster this morning.

Had a re-sighting of Greylag Goose SYZ and positively ID'd letters on an orange neck collar on another greylag goose. The letters were BJF.

I originally saw this goose a few weeks ago and was 99% convinced that the letters on the orange neck collar were BUF. I stand corrected which is just as well as this goose is part of a Goose Project in North Yorkshire and hasn't been recorded as venturing this far north to date. She's a bit of a home bird, sticking close to North Yorkshire so this earlier sighting of mine nearly caused chaos to the studies !!! hee hee. :-O

Other than my 2 collared geese I saw a variety of birds this morning....

Around Shebster area

male and female pheasant
female hen harrier
buzzard
100's of crows and rooks
1000's of starlings
kestrel
various species of gulls

Around Broubster Leans

male stonechat
whooper swans
male hen harrier
pochard
wigeon
mallard
scaup (I think)
tufted duck
reed bunting
grey heron
ferral pigeons
cormorant

Prior to that I enjoyed the antics of the following birds in my back garden, just hope that I see at least this many during next weekends Garden Bird Survey. Fingers crossed.

12 blackbirds
4 collared doves
40 starlings (one with a deformed, crossed beak)
65 house sparrows
2 dunnocks
too many crows, rooks and jackdaws for my liking
1 song thrush
4 black headed gulls
2 herring gulls

1 of the crows had a totally pale grey body and a pure black head. Usually the hooded crows have black wings if I remember correctly.

Anyway that is my fix for this week, will be at least Saturday before I can get out again.

My garden has been very lacking in Chaffinches this winter. Anyone else experiencing NO Chaffinches? I don't usually get high numbers but I do have the odd one or two.

Happy birding.

:gn:

Well today was the first day it actually had a winter feel, due to the wind being from the N and NE. Today was also the BTOs Winter Plover survey, considering the plovers to my square on other visits and recent reports of 1000+Golden plover and 300 Lapwing, I thought I might manage something.

Nothing, Nothing and Nothing. Had it been a Rook or a Starling survey then I would still be there counting , but no plovers in sight. After 2 hours I did spot a whole TWO Lapwing in the sky, but they were in the next square. the square. At least it will be an easy write up if nothing else.

I spent a good while out after, still not any more plovers.
I did see 86+ Greenland White Fronts at Mey, some birds were not visible due to the dip in the land so there were more than that.. Thousands of Starlings, they were everywhere today and hundreds of Rooks. I also spotted a Roe Deer rumaging around for its dinner.

The Loch of Mey was deserted, probably due to it being more flooded than normal, with very rough surface water due to the wind.

Harrow harbour was busy Wigeon, Purple Sanpipers, Redshank, Ringed Plover, Turnstone, Shag, Rock Pipit and Common seals.
A rin up to Lochend Produced 3 Flocks of Whooper Swans, 12, 15, and 7 that flew right over the car giving me a nice Whoop as they went over. I do find them so beautiful. Then as I was driving I spotted 2 Hen Harriers, due to poor light and distance I could only make out their silhouette and I lost one by the time I stopped but the other was a female.

Ham had Goldeneye, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Teal, Little Grebe and Mute Swan.

Brough gave a wionderful surprise 1000+ Fulmars, considering there were none on my last visit a few weeks back, they were a welcome addition to the day. A lot were in pairs on the rock face, looking down on 3 Common and a single Grey seal who were relaxing below. Then along the road 50 Redwing.

Dunnet bay showed Great Northern Divers, Long-tailed Ducks, Eiders as well as a load of Gulls.
Castletown was Red-throated divers, Red-breasted Megansers and more Great Northern Divers, with more Gulls.

Then to Thurso River where 2 1w Iceland Gulls were having a rest, with at least another 5 at Scrabster Harbour. Counting them is a nightmare as they wont stay still, so 5 was the most I could see at one time. With the wind blowing on the brae in front of our house, we see the Icelands right out the front hourly right now. It may be the same bird, but there are a few around.

Other birds around were Cormorant, Kestrel, Pheasant, Oystercatcher, Curlew, BH Gull, Com Gull, Her Gull, GBB Gull, Rock Dove, Collared Dove,Blackbird, Song Thrush, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Hooded Crow, Raven, House Sparrow and Chaffinch.

Just to end my novel, whilst on the PC

Last edited:
Greylag Goose - BJF history

Update on info on Greylag Goose BJF.

Everyone has been so kind with their encouraging comments. Don't feel such a prat now !! :D

"Thanks for the update on SYZ and the confirmation of orange BJF. Misreads happen to the best of us in this collar reading game. Don't let it put you off!! your records are very valuable. Details of BJF below."

Bob

COBJF L.Eye 07/11/2004 v 3 f
COBJF Baillie Hill, Westfield, Caithness ND0464 22/11/2006 vv 6 f
COBJF Westfield-Oust, Caithness ND0746 31/12/2006 vv 6 f (guess this'll be my first sighting)
COBJF Westfield-Oust, Caithness ND0746 21/01/2007 vv 6 f (guess this'll be my second sighting)

Hi Catherine

All credit to you, we’ve all done it at some stage - please don’t let it put you off!

Let’s hope BJF has a more exciting life than BUF!

Simon

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back