• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (47 Viewers)

Glossy Ibis

Some distant shots of the Glossy Ibis. Black-headed Gulls don't seem to know what to make of it.

Attachments

• Glossy Ibis-6498.jpg
    Glossy Ibis-6498.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Glossy Ibis-6502.jpg
    Glossy Ibis-6502.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 137
Just seen Glossy Ibis at 7.10 before it flew off circling the Flashes before landing on one of the islands- looked quite close to the main hide.

Last time I saw one of these in the county was Throckmorton in 2013.

Thanks for the text earlier John :t:.

Chris

Last edited:
Any idea on what time the Flashes car park will be open in the morning? Couldn't get over today but opportunity knocks tomorrow and an early start is no problem. Hopefully the Ibis will still be around.

Any idea on what time the Flashes car park will be open in the morning? Couldn't get over today but opportunity knocks tomorrow and an early start is no problem. Hopefully the Ibis will still be around.

Not particularly early, but I will be on site just after 7am hopefully and will open up the gate if it isn't already. Presume it will be though

Other birds of note today.
FLASHES
Little grebe 2
Teal pr. Shoveler 3. Gadwall 2. Shelduck 3
Lapwing 12-14. Avocet 41+. Oycs 2. LRP 3.
GLOSSY IBIS. Water rail.
blackcap 4. Sedge warbler 2. Chiffchaff 2.
Swallow.

MOORS (Only briefly)
Didn't get to the East hide.
Blackcap 2. Willow warbler. Cetti's w . Chiffchaff 2
Redpoll 7.
Swallow 35. Sand Martin 40. House Martin

New Hide

A special thanks to all the vols for the transformation of the hide and it's surrounds. The area will (I'm sure) become a real asset to the reserve in a short time. The maintenance crew finished the new porch off today including a new roof. This is to limit the light entering the hide when the door is open. All the scrub planted around the hide is now budding. And the habitat management in front is now looking good.

This is normally out of bounds But I cleared access for today ONLY!!!! Children's activity tomorrow.
Suggest people go to FLASHES hide first thing.

Thanks for organising the viewing John...sorry I had to ask where it was but as I said to a chap there this evening when I visit the flashes I usually keep my head down and get onto the reserve as soon as I can due to having comments in the past from families (fathers) about having a camera and children being around.....think its their problem not mine but just being on the safe side.

Hope the Ibis stays a few days as off work this week...lol

With all the commotion o f the Ibis yesterday I forgot to add thanks to Julie and Kim for clearing the blockage in the Hen Brook.:t:
Also thanks to Graham for his kind donation to the cake fund 8-P I mean scrub/ tree fund. We bought several Rowan trees last year with his donation last year ...these are now growing well in the NE corner of the North Moors B :)john

Glossy Ibis

Arrived about 10 am parking at sailing pool and talked to some fellow birders from Bridgnoth in car park who had popped in to see the Ibis unfortunately it was a none show for them.

Headed down to Cuckoo hide opened door and found three Birders one Craig Reed (warden) and two other birders "Asking anyone seen a Glossy Ibis" the reply came about an hour ago and its gone down behind that bush over there !!

Well after 5 minutes it popped up and made a flight around but constantly mobbed by gulls returned out of site apparently to position were it was viewed yesterday.

After chatting a while walked down towards Avocet hide and met Matt as we stood chatting the Glossy rose again and did a small flight landing in a tree before settling out of site again.

Thanks for all those that flagged it up on here and twitter.

A first for me and a result for Upton no doubt due to the hard work of the volunteers.

Zeberdy

Thanks Craig and Mike for your help in locating the Glossy Ibis this morning.

Roosting in an alder tree between the Hen Brook and Cuckoo hides, then a good flyaround at the back of the Flashes before landing in the field it was apparently visiting yesterday. Great, if distant, views, and I was also fortunate to catch the flyaround which ended with the bird perched in a tree.

It seems likely I was first on site at the Flashes this morning - certainly I hadn't met any other birders before I bumped into Craig and Mike by the Sailing Pool. I'd returned there to check out what sounded very much like a Grasshopper Warbler reeling in the undergrowth along the brook next to the Sailing Pool, just before the gate on to the boardwalk. I first heard this when I arrived (around 6.40am?) and then again twice from a few metres further up the brook around 7am. Given the 'mechanical' element to the call, I checked whether there was anyone setting up equipment on the climbing walls beyond the brook, but there was no-one else around. I'm sure the noise had come from the brook.

Did anyone else hear a Grasshopper Warbler today? Or can anyone suggest what else I might have heard? I notice there's been a report of a Grasshopper Warbler at Sandwell Valley yesterday.

As always a very enjoyable visit. The reserve is in great condition, thanks to the hard work of the volunteers and wardens.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back