• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (5 Viewers)

Thanks Craig and Mike for your help in locating the Glossy Ibis this morning.

Roosting in an alder tree between the Hen Brook and Cuckoo hides, then a good flyaround at the back of the Flashes before landing in the field it was apparently visiting yesterday. Great, if distant, views, and I was also fortunate to catch the flyaround which ended with the bird perched in a tree.

It seems likely I was first on site at the Flashes this morning - certainly I hadn't met any other birders before I bumped into Craig and Mike by the Sailing Pool. I'd returned there to check out what sounded very much like a Grasshopper Warbler reeling in the undergrowth along the brook next to the Sailing Pool, just before the gate on to the boardwalk. I first heard this when I arrived (around 6.40am?) and then again twice from a few metres further up the brook around 7am. Given the 'mechanical' element to the call, I checked whether there was anyone setting up equipment on the climbing walls beyond the brook, but there was no-one else around. I'm sure the noise had come from the brook.

Did anyone else hear a Grasshopper Warbler today? Or can anyone suggest what else I might have heard? I notice there's been a report of a Grasshopper Warbler at Sandwell Valley yesterday.

As always a very enjoyable visit. The reserve is in great condition, thanks to the hard work of the volunteers and wardens.

Thanks for the report Rob - certainly one to keep an ear out for :t:

Congratulations to Mike Inskip on joining the exclusive UW200 club; Glossy Ibis is a suitably impressive bird to reach the landmark of 200 species.

Congratulations to Mike Inskip on joining the exclusive UW200 club; Glossy Ibis is a suitably impressive bird to reach the landmark of 200 species.

Congratulations Mike, impressive, any chance someone can keep it there until Sunday evening, that’ll be my first chance to pop over ☹️

glossy ibis in the bag on a detour on the way home from work this evening - pretty happy with that although the weather wasn't up to much - and added swallows and sand martins to my year list

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Glossy Ibis. Spent most of the day in the northern field with occasional flights to the Flashes and back. Flew onto the second flash at 19.20 to roost, ironically amongst the B H Gulls.
Avocet (38)----------------Lapwing (10) including four sitting birds.
LRP (4)---------------------Oystercatcher (2) including sitting bird.
Teal (13)-------------------Gadwall (2)
Shoveler (3)---------------Shelduck (4)
Med Gull/B H Gull---------Sedge Warbler
Cetti's Warbler

MOORS:
Kittiwake (ad)Seen on the water at 14.20 (MJI) and not present before. After approximately five minutes the bird flew east and then south. Later on, two more adults were seen by Craig Reed at the Sailing Pool flying north.
Snipe (4)------------------Oystercatcher (4) including sitting bird.
Lapwing (2)---------------Gadwall (4)
Shoveler (8)---------------Teal (6)
Tufted Duck (32)----------Little Grebe (6)
G C Grebe (2)-------------House Martin (10)
Swallow (c 60)------------Willow Warbler (3)
Sedge Warbler (1)--------Reed Warbler reported (JS)
Water Rail-----------------Cetti's Warbler (3)
Nuthatch.

Des.

Glossy Ibis still in the vicinity of the Flashes this morning.

Gropper reeling again this morning in the area described by Rob.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Glossy Ibis. Spent most of the day in the northern field with occasional flights to the Flashes and back. Flew onto the second flash at 19.20 to roost, ironically amongst the B H Gulls.
Avocet (38)----------------Lapwing (10) including four sitting birds.
LRP (4)---------------------Oystercatcher (2) including sitting bird.
Teal (13)-------------------Gadwall (2)
Shoveler (3)---------------Shelduck (4)
Med Gull/B H Gull---------Sedge Warbler
Cetti's Warbler

MOORS:
Kittiwake (ad)Seen on the water at 14.20 (MJI) and not present before. After approximately five minutes the bird flew east and then south. Later on, two more adults were seen by Craig Reed at the Sailing Pool flying north.
Snipe (4)------------------Oystercatcher (4) including sitting bird.
Lapwing (2)---------------Gadwall (4)
Shoveler (8)---------------Teal (6)
Tufted Duck (32)----------Little Grebe (6)
G C Grebe (2)-------------House Martin (10)
Swallow (c 60)------------Willow Warbler (3)
Sedge Warbler (1)--------Reed Warbler reported (JS)
Water Rail-----------------Cetti's Warbler (3)
Nuthatch.

Des.

Common Sandpiper in front of the East Hide at the Moors for a couple of minutes around 8.30am yesterday. Flew into a channel in front of the second of the small pools on the left and I didn't see it again after that.

Pics taken midmorning on the approach to the flashes. Wet and murky, glorious holiday weather!

Attachments

• 1V8A0044-Edit.jpg
    1V8A0044-Edit.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 1V8A0141-Edit-Edit.jpg
    1V8A0141-Edit-Edit.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 1V8A0076-Edit.jpg
    1V8A0076-Edit.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 93
No go Zone ARCHERY FIELD

PLEASE BE REMINDED THAT THIS AREA IS NOT PART OF THE RESERVE. Access is ONLY possible if wardens are on site and have gained permission. Once again some people can't stick to the rules.
I'll say no more, but if this jeopardizes the future good relationship with Aztec then we will all lose out.

Glossy Ibis still in the vicinity of the Flashes this morning.

Gropper reeling again this morning in the area described by Rob.

A further Gropper was heard by myself from the causeway at the Moors Pool. It reeled rather quietly a couple of times at around 1230. My initial instinct was Gropper but I thought that it could possibly be a Savi's given that it was calling from the reedbed. Friends on twitter expressed this suspicion too! So I decided to investigate further.

I arranged to meet Steve Whitehouse on site at around 7pm. The bird reeled again from near the Bittern channel with much more gusto than it had previously, and probably much closer than beforehand. It was undoubtedly a Grasshopper Warbler. Unfortunately, although it was fairly close, we were unable to see it.

Late morning a Common Tern visited the Moors Pool and a Little Ringed Plover was present for a while on Pool Island. I suspect that this was one of the four that have been at The Flashes over the last week or so.

The Glossy Ibis was on the 2nd flash at The Flashes late evening as per Lloyd Evans and 5 Little Egrets roosted in trees at The Sailing Pool.

Two Groppers in a day at UW on different sides of the reserve - I can't remember that happening before. Certainly not an experience I've had before!:t:

Andy P.

Last edited:
just some pics from this evening.
Glossy Ibiss flew in to the rear of the 2nd flash early tonight 19.00ish then walked over to the grass started feeding later it took to the air for a couple of mins chased by a large flock of BHG's ,finally landing mid 2nd flash.
sailing pool 4 mute swans (3 Adult 1 juv) pool covered with swallows also sand and house martins,4 GCG ,Tufted ducks, singing 2 willow warblers,chiffchaff . Cetti's warbler calling from boardwalk.
Flashes. 34 Avocet 2 Oystercatchers 3 LRP. Lapwings,Common Snipe.2 Gadwall(m&f) 3 Shelduck, Teal, Tufted. Med/BHG, 18 LBBG, 2 Herring gull.

Attachments

• IMG_6389.JPG
    IMG_6389.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6391.JPG
    IMG_6391.JPG
    438 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6392.JPG
    IMG_6392.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 47
PLEASE BE REMINDED THAT THIS AREA IS NOT PART OF THE RESERVE. Access is ONLY possible if wardens are on site and have gained permission. Once again some people can't stick to the rules.
I'll say no more, but if this jeopardizes the future good relationship with Aztec then we will all lose out.

I'm sure the individuals involved probably won't read this, and will eye-roll furiously if they do, but it is worth noting that, given the number of children visiting Aztec's site, adult strangers on Aztec's property could quite legitimately find themselves having to discuss their presence with the police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back