• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History of Ireland's dragonflies. A Book Review (1 Viewer)

harry eales

Ancient Entomologist
I recently received a copy of this book by Brian Nelson and Robert Thompson, and having taken a few days to read it, I must admit that this is the finest book on Dragonflies I have ever read. Certainly there are a few volumes that are perhaps of a more technical type, but for anyone who has the remotest interest in these 'jewels of the air' this book is a 'must have.'

It is certainly not a field pocket book, it is hardbound, measuring 11" x 9" x 1 3/4" and contains 454 pages, it weighs several pounds, it is definately a volume to be left at home on your library shelf.

Every aspect of Irish Odonates is covered, all known species to occur in Ireland are covered in detail with a profussion of photographs. All species have been mapped and each map is accompanied by the times of appearance and altitude charts, and several pages of good readable text accompanies each species description. There is a whole chapter devoted to a history of the Irish Odonates and the early recorders. Trends in distribution changes are also covered.

Whilst we are all fairly familiar with the English Common Names of Dragonflies, few are aware that there exists an Irish Common Names list. This did cause a little confusion whilst reading the first few pages, however, the English names and the generic and specific names are also given on each species description page.

Some of these Irish names are strange but are far more descriptive than the English equivelent. e.g. The Brown Hawker becomes the Amber-winged Hawker, the Migrant Hawker becomes the Autumn Hawker and so on. Not all the names are different though, a number are common to both the British mainland and Ireland. The two Demoiselle species become the Beautiful and the Banded Jewelwings. Several Damselflies are called 'Bluet's'.

Numerous habitats are described and are also illustrated by beautiful photographs. Richard Lewington's excellent illustrations also occur here and there. The distribution maps are in colour and the dots are colour and size coded. The whole of Ireland is covered by this book.

Printed in 2004, this book has had little publicity in mainland Britain. Published by the National Museums and Galleries of Northern Ireland. The ISBN no. is 0 900761 45 8. The price is £24.50 + £6.48 postage and is available from Summerfield Books. Mainstreet, Brough, Cumbria. CA17 4AX Tel 017683-41577. or other book dealers. Orders can be placed on line or by phone using a credit or debit card.

If your nearest and dearest hasn't bought you a Christmas present yet, then a broad hint may not come amiss, provided your credit card or bank account hasn't already been hammered. This is not a book to lend out, even to a friend, it is that good, you may not get it back again.

Read and enjoy.

Harry

Hi Harry,
I can assure you that the new 'Irish common names' came as a shock to those of us with an interest in Odonata over here, especially as the well-known English names are those used by Irish observers. I personally hate many of the proposed name changes...but that's just me!
Regards,
Harry

Hi Harry's

I agree, and would go so far to say that this is one of the finest Natural History books published in recent years. The photography is brilliant, and the text and production extremely good.

I bought this last year, and was so struck by it bought another two, one just to keep, and the other for a mate of mine.

Well worth the money, as far smaller and less impressive books often cost far more.

Delighted you've mentioned this book Harry. It's a steal at the price, and sets a very high standard for similar publications to try equal.

For anyone interested in my patch, or to be more specific, my garden, it's on page 405. The lake pictured is 30m from my house which incidently is all windows giving great views.

harry eales said:
Whilst we are all fairly familiar with the English Common Names of Dragonflies, few are aware that there exists an Irish Common Names list. This did cause a little confusion whilst reading the first few pages, however, the English names and the generic and specific names are also given on each species description page.

Some of these Irish names are strange but are far more descriptive than the English equivelent. e.g. The Brown Hawker becomes the Amber-winged Hawker, the Migrant Hawker becomes the Autumn Hawker and so on. Not all the names are different though, a number are common to both the British mainland and Ireland. The two Demoiselle species become the Beautiful and the Banded Jewelwings. Several Damselflies are called 'Bluet's'.
Harry
This is not the time or place to go into deep discussion about the "Irish Common Names list". But I'll say a little.
As Harry H mentions, it came as a shock, though there was a rumour that such a can of worms would be opened. None of these different names have been in use in Ireland up to the publication. We were using the same names as in the field guides such as Brooks.
In practice, these alternative names generally haven't been adopted, and I don't see how they can be until the field guides use the same names.

While I echo all the positive things said about the book, for me I really struggled with the names. I'm relatively new to odonates and grew up with Brooks. I don't know the scientific names well, and I can't help but feel a bit negative while reading the book.
I guess I don't adjust as well as most.

Dragonfly names seem to be a can of worms. The dragonflies-UK yahoo list has had various contributions on the subject, as has the WestPalOdos list if memory serves.
As I'm sure most will be aware, some of the names are of American origin. (Do you go with darners or hawkers, for example?)
Bluet seems a rather odd word to me.... how's it pronounced--blue-ay, blute or blue-ett?? The last, I guess, as it's an American word.
When will someone decide to rename all our macromoths in the interest of global harmonisation? Seen any hummingbird sphynxes lately??
(If not, they have probably been eaten by barn swallows.) ;)
Ken

Last edited:
Angus T said:
While I echo all the positive things said about the book, for me I really struggled with the names. I'm relatively new to odonates and grew up with Brooks. I don't know the scientific names well, and I can't help but feel a bit negative while reading the book.
I guess I don't adjust as well as most.
A bit like birds really....why bu**er about with the Common names, which not everyone will ever agree on, as long as the latin names are there, there is always an internationally understood name.
If I wished to call something the little blue-arsed jobbie, that's up to me, as long as evryone else understood the latin name....

Still a fabulous book, and hopefully the moths of NI will be as good?

Mocha said:
A bit like birds really....why bu**er about with the Common names, which not everyone will ever agree on, as long as the latin names are there, there is always an internationally understood name.
If I wished to call something the little blue-arsed jobbie, that's up to me, as long as evryone else understood the latin name....

Still a fabulous book, and hopefully the moths of NI will be as good?

Sadly, even the generic and specific 'Latin' names change as well. One Bumblebee in which I have an interest, has had four name changes in my lifetime. Nothing ever seems to be permanent these days, lol.

Angus's 'pond' looks fantastic, I have to travel at least forty miles to see a pond as good looking as his, and it has less species present. Sod's Law appeares to be working again.

Harry

harry eales said:
Angus's 'pond' looks fantastic, I have to travel at least forty miles to see a pond as good looking as his, and it has less species present. Sod's Law appeares to be working again.

Harry
I added 2 species to the garden list this year with sightings of Amber-winged Hawker Aeshna grandis and Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum, the latter a VC first. Brings the garden list to 20 species, and that is in just 4 years. At least 13 species have bred.

Also worth noting that Golden-ringed Spiketail Cordulegaster boltonii has been added to Irish list this year with 2 specimens found in SE. Further details here

Angus T said:
I added 2 species to the garden list this year with sightings of Amber-winged Hawker Aeshna grandis and Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum, the latter a VC first. Brings the garden list to 20 species, and that is in just 4 years. At least 13 species have bred.

Also worth noting that Golden-ringed Spiketail Cordulegaster boltonii has been added to Irish list this year with 2 specimens found in SE. Further details here

Oh B***ER,

Isn't that typical, you buy a book and it's out of date before you finish reading it. :-C
LOL.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back