• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringer in training (?!) (1 Viewer)

Back into it last friday and we went for a big migration haul! Unfortunately barely a bird hit our nets. Too many berries meant the thrushes stayed up high on the quarry sides and the sylvia warbler net was a fortnight late. Managed to have 2 spot flys miss the net as did a few phylloscs (we were talking up our chances of a YBW) but all said we caught a paltry 3 birds, a juv Dunnock (over 50% juv feathers), a female adult chaffinch and an interesting german-type 1st-winter male Blackbird in wing moult which was bizarre. Fingers crossed we get a bit more next time.

This webpage has a picture of a commercial trap + good advice on trap use.

http://www.trap-man.com/cat-trap.htm

You will need to transport them at least 30 km to avoid them returning. I release what I catch at a supermarket delivery point, where bins overflowing with waste food makes it alley cat heaven. Or you may prefer to send them to the "real" cat heaven ;)

Hi John,

We have a real brute of a Black Labrador who loves to catch and dispatch cats. If this fails we have a good population here of Eagle Owl which loves Feral Cat!!

PS Hotspur: Ah the joys of expectation and ringing!!!!

Hotspur,
How old do you have to be to start ringing training?
Where are the closest to middlesborough?

I cant remember how old you have to be but its quite young - my trainers lad is wanting to start ringing soon and he is only 7 or 8 - i think it may be 9 but i may be totally wrong. As for getting a trainer - contact the BTO - head of the ringing department. Try there website.

ust found out i an ring with East Yorks ringing guru Pete Dunn. Winner. Here comes the big Eastern Crowned Warbler!!!

Good luck with the warbs hope you getsomething thats very rare , along the lines of a middendorff's gropper!
(or as you said eastern crowned)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back