• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (3 Viewers)

We had snow as well on Tuesday Wari, so spring is a bit stop start here, my son was visiting from England with his family so was very happy to see the pair of Citril Finch that joined the feeding frenzy under the sheltered feeders.
Things have warmed up again now so Swallows are settling in around the farms and the first cows and sheep are finally being let out of their winter 'prisons' in the barns where they've been confined since November.
A species which is spreading into this part of France is Red Kite, thanks to the growing Swiss population, a pair are nesting for the first time about 8kms away so I suppose today's visitor could have been predicted, a lovely sight nonetheless:

62 Red Kite

Sprinting away as usual Richard, have you no soul..left on your shoes? :-C

35. Black-headed grosbeak (lifer bird—first for seeing a grosbeak as well).

Perched a foot above the CA thrasher, watching as he hacked away at the suet cake. Then a second male appeared and they flew off. Not 10 minutes passed and one came back to sample the suet and is now eating the seeds on the floor, solo, taking his time. I'm glad he's not the least bit deterred by the squirrel a couple of feet away, hoarding most of the food. Hope he/they stay for breeding season. I wish I had my camera.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.20.46 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.20.46 AM.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 36
Spring keeps on rolling and new ticks coming. Additions:

32. Chaffinch
33. Redwing
34. Greylag Goose
35. Siskin
36. White Wagtail
37. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (!!)
38. Lesser Black-backed Gull

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker is a very good tick and a first from this yard. I heard a calling bird early this morning while drinking my morning tea at the balcony. There's a little birch forest few hundred meters away, but always thought it would be too small and urbanized for Lesser Spotted.

Heard it repeatedly call...thought no!....I've made a mistake, looked out the window and there it was!...a resplendent male Passer domesticus! rarer than hen's teeth in these parts, no.58.

On a mini roll....House Martin at 5pm. no 59.

Attachments

• P1700119.jpeg   Sprow. 1..jpeg
    P1700119.jpeg Sprow. 1..jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
a resplendent male Passer domesticus! rarer than hen's teeth in these parts, no.58.

Just as rare here Ken, not got one on my home county list yet! Couldn't walk a block without seeing one in Ottawa, 30km away. One day.

A little update here, mostly flyovers and one heard. Predictions are for another dump of snow and freezing rain this weekend, but hopefully things will be looking more springlike by the end of next week.

21 Turkey Vulture 25 Mar 2018
22 Canada Goose 27 Mar 2018
23 Barred Owl (Heard only) 30 Mar 2018
24 Northern Harrier 31 Mar 2018
25 Red-shouldered Hawk 06 Apr 2018
26 Wood Duck 12 Apr 2018
27 Mallard 12 Apr 2018
28 Great Blue Heron 13 Apr 2018

Just as rare here Ken, not got one on my home county list yet! Couldn't walk a block without seeing one in Ottawa, 30km away. One day.

Some great birds there Jasper. :t:

Very high languidly drifting (still on a roll), the first really warm day of Spring, no.60.....Accipter gentilis.

I still lack the discipline to spend any time in the garden but either side of some morning birding:-
44 - Greenfinch
45 - Sparrowhawk (lots of Sparrowhawk activity today on the patch)
46 - House Martin

Swallow photographed as well as the Sparrowhawk so 37/46. Osprey this morning close by may well have been visible from the garden if I had been at home.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• A Swallow 01 (reduced).jpg
    A Swallow 01 (reduced).jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 23
  • A Swallow 06.jpg
    A Swallow 06.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 23
  • C Sparrowhawk 01.jpg
    C Sparrowhawk 01.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 22
  • B Osprey 02.JPG
    B Osprey 02.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Just like Tikli said earlier, spring keeps on rolling and new ticks coming.

50. Siskin
51. Starling
52. Goldeneye
53. Greater white-fronted goose
54. Marsh harrier
55. Buzzard
56. White wagtail
57. Reed bunting
58. Redwing
59. Herring gull
60. Song thrush
61. Dunnock
62. Meadow pipit
63. Kestrel
64. Black-headed gull
65. Golden plover
66. Common gull
67. Chiffchaff
68. Osprey
69. Green sandpiper
70. Long-tailed tit
71. Woodcock
72. Tundra swan
73. Common snipe

Osprey & Tundra swan were garden lifers, so now at 124 species (since summer 2016).

I’ve spent plenty of time in the garden this weekend expecting a hirundine, no luck so far but did get a year bird.

56. Blackcap

And then another Warbler.

57. Chiffchaff

Last edited:
Three more to add here, on the 10th some LBb Gulls attracted by the farmer working the field next to us. Yesterday the first Chiffchaff and then a Swallow takes my total to 52.

House Martin beore a rustica Ken? I find that very hard to swallow;)
Here it's that period where I have to be patient, as our altitude means that species now present not far away (but lower down) will take their time before venturing up to us. Still my ears are on stalks hoping for a Wryneck to start 'cling clinging' here as they were around Geneva yesterday.

Back in France for a couple of weeks - interestingly second bird of the trip (from the train in Bordeaux) was a Common Swift - not expecting that before Swallow or any of the other hirundines to be honest. Anyway, will put up bird list so far shortly ...

France Garden List 15/04/18

1. Blackbird
2. Collared Dove
3. Green Woodpecker (h)
4. Black Kite
5. Marsh Harrier 1N (garden rarity)
6. Kestrel
7. Buzzard
8. Sparrowhawk
9. Hobby x2 N
10. Blackcap quite a few about
11. Hoopoe x2
12. Black Redstart
13. Serin
14. Cirl Bunting
15. Greenfinch
16. Goldfinch
17. Blue Tit
18. Great Tit
19. Feral Pigeon
20. Grey Heron
21. Woodpigeon
22. Jay (h)
23. Magpie
24. Jackdaw
25. Chaffinch
26. Swallow passing north regularly, 2 local birds back
27. Swift x10 N
28. Carrion Crow
29. Willow Warbler
30. Sand Martin 1N (garden rarity)
31. House Martin 6N
32. Starling c100 milling around at dusk
33. Cuckoo (h)

Also noisy Tree Frogs in the hedge and 3 Pipistrelle type bats at close range whilst sat out by the pond pm. A distant kettle of a dozen circling raptors (not kites) unfortunately unidentified - early Honey Buzzards? Or unprecedented flock of something else?

I'm still lurking and whilst not keeping a garden year list I do keep an overall garden list. My first addition of 2018 with a Little Grebe heard from a quarry which is only about 200 yards away but completely un-viewable due to forest. Had several Great Cresteds in flight over the years so nice to have the pair. Puts me around 84 (Delamere Cheshire), I think.
Luv Dave

36. Brown-headed cowbird. I suspect they're nest shopping in the guise of eating alongside the other birds while "following them home" afterwards.
37. Dark-eyed junco. So brief, so cute.
38. Oak titmouse. Love it when I get a new bird at the feeder.

Heard it repeatedly call...thought no!....I've made a mistake, looked out the window and there it was!...a resplendent male Passer domesticus! rarer than hen's teeth in these parts, no.58.
On a mini roll....House Martin at 5pm. no 59.

You can't dine outside in L.A. and not see them scavenging for food. Just saw them yesterday in fact. Absolutely fearless around my dog as they picked up a fry off the ground a foot away from him. The SoCal lifestyle has treated them well.

36. Brown-headed cowbird. I suspect they're nest shopping in the guise of eating alongside the other birds while "following them home" afterwards.
37. Dark-eyed junco. So brief, so cute.
38. Oak titmouse. Love it when I get a new bird at the feeder.

You can't dine outside in L.A. and not see them scavenging for food. Just saw them yesterday in fact. Absolutely fearless around my dog as they picked up a fry off the ground a foot away from him. The SoCal lifestyle has treated them well.

They are a conundrum....there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to why they maintain an historical presence in some roads, and none in others, where historically they used to be present. North American cities appear to be favoured in my experience, perhaps the US could re-export some of their HS back to some of our urban "deserts" Central London being a needy site.

As your urban pops. of HS might just have developed a resistance to whatever ills have befallen ours, it might go some way in redressing the balance that your noxious Grey Squirrel has brought about, since being introduced by our Victorian ancestors. :t:

33. Cuckoo (h)

Seemingly a quieter day today; rain and gloom overnight and this morning meant little migration made it over the Pyrenees 100 miles to the south to enliven our skies. However ...

34. Siskin - a surprise 6 in the afternoon half-heartedly feeding on dandelion clocks and silver birch before winging off to the north
35. Chiffchaff 2 or 3
36. Long-tailed Tit 2
37. Peregrine 1 distantly (3rd garden record?)
38. Great Spotted Woodpecker (h)
39. Firecrest
40. Cattle Egret - 2nd garden record, 1 directly over late evening (first record was of a flock of c15 passing distantly after dusk)

Edit:

41: Tawny Owl - a couple of vocal birds after sundown.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back