• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon FSA 1/2/3 for Nikon DS/MC eyepieces and A590IS (1 Viewer)

mcepjg

Peter
I have a Nikon 16x/24x/30x Wide DS eyepiece and a 13-40 MCII zoom eyepiece.
Since I have a straight scope and would like perfect allignment I would rather not have a swing away adapter. Does anyone know:

1) Can the FSA-3 connect directly to the Nikon DS eyepieces?
2) Does the FSA-3 have a 43mm thread from which I could attach a 52mm - 43mm step down ring to attach a canon A590IS?
3) if this is possible is it likely to give good results?
4) would I be just as good getting one of those cheap adapters like the baader microstage 1.

Cheers,

Pete

First, all the Nikon custom adapters FSB-1 thru 6 the FSA-1:2:3 set were made to fit only one specific Nikon camera. All these cameras have been discontinued years ago. Any adapter needs to align the camera with lens along an XYZ axis. Finding another camera from the zillion on the market that can fit a custom Nikon adapter and center the lens along X and Y while proper keeping eyerelief Z with millimeter precision will be next to impossible. Give up on this idea.

The only adapter that Nikon makes now that is "universal" is the UA 1 swing-out. But it only works with the DS eyepieces. It should capable of holding alignment with the camera and eyepiece in use. The Baader swing-out and its clones I tried were crap and never hold alignment.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments they really help. I HAVE now given up on this idea, I thought it might be long shot but if it wasn't for the issues with the z allignment there would have been a lot of benefits:

X,Y allignment would be perfect, the ease and speed of use would be perfect (tighten one screw), the set up would have been very light and there would be no stray light issues.

I tried hand-holding but the shots I got were not very good. So I realise I will need an adapter of some sort (especially with my camera because of the way you need to focus).

I also heard elsewhere that the Baader microstage ii (the swing out one) was crap, so I will now probably go for either the SRB griturn swing out (for the DS16 eyepiece) or something like the baader microstage 1 / celestron type adapters, which whilst a bit bulky look to be pretty good.

Thanks again, it's only with this good advice that I don't waste my money on things that don't work or work badly. Much appreciated. :t:

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back