• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Stokes DLS 8x42 First Impressions (1 Viewer)

PCH BIRDER

United States
I just picked up a pair of Vortex Stokes DLS 8x42's a few days ago. My first impressions are very positive. Under good to fair lighting coditions, the brightness and resolution seems to be outstanding. I'm still not sure if they are delivering excellent low-light performance; I have a pair of Swift Ultralite 8x43's that seem to be a tad brighter in very low light, but they don't deliver nearly the same overall quality of image.

I find the ergonomics excellent, and the foucs wonderfully easy and quick. I'm finding that I can get a bird in foucs as fast with these bins as with any I've ever used. I wish they were a tad lighter, but the balance is excellent and I find they are very easy to hold steady.

In the next few days I will be receiving a new pair of Pentax 8x32 DCF SP's which I am looking forward to comparing with the these. Since I have 30 days in which to return either, it will be interesting to give both good field trials, which is the only way I find I can get a really good feel for how much I like a binocular. I'm particularly interested in finding out if the Vortex 8x43 really does deliver significantly better low light performance than the Pentax 8x32's. If not, then they might not be worth the extra 4 ounces around the neck. I will say that the Vortex, in comparisons at the store, delivered an image that was only slightly less than the highest priced glass, with handling characteristics that equaled any. I also find that they are giving me a "perfect" image with no blackouts, something that seems to be a problem for me with many other models (I don't wear glasses and I seem to require just the right eye relief for my eyes).

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who is using either the Vortex or the Pentax. I will give further impressions as I continue to use them.

PCH BIRDER said:
I just picked up a pair of Vortex Stokes DLS 8x42's a few days ago. My first impressions are very positive. Under good to fair lighting coditions, the brightness and resolution seems to be outstanding. I'm still not sure if they are delivering excellent low-light performance; I have a pair of Swift Ultralite 8x43's that seem to be a tad brighter in very low light, but they don't deliver nearly the same overall quality of image.

I find the ergonomics excellent, and the foucs wonderfully easy and quick. I'm finding that I can get a bird in foucs as fast with these bins as with any I've ever used. I wish they were a tad lighter, but the balance is excellent and I find they are very easy to hold steady.

In the next few days I will be receiving a new pair of Pentax 8x32 DCF SP's which I am looking forward to comparing with the these. Since I have 30 days in which to return either, it will be interesting to give both good field trials, which is the only way I find I can get a really good feel for how much I like a binocular. I'm particularly interested in finding out if the Vortex 8x43 really does deliver significantly better low light performance than the Pentax 8x32's. If not, then they might not be worth the extra 4 ounces around the neck. I will say that the Vortex, in comparisons at the store, delivered an image that was only slightly less than the highest priced glass, with handling characteristics that equaled any. I also find that they are giving me a "perfect" image with no blackouts, something that seems to be a problem for me with many other models (I don't wear glasses and I seem to require just the right eye relief for my eyes).

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who is using either the Vortex or the Pentax. I will give further impressions as I continue to use them.

There are a couple of threads here on BF that discuss the Stokes DSL which you can find by searching the forums. Also, I found two reviews about the Stokes you might find useful. I don't remember the web addresses but you should be able to find them by searching the web. I hope this helps.

Well, after pretty extensive field trials, I returned the Stokes and kept the Pentax. I know this is sort of an apples and oranges situation, but what I found was that the Pentax (for half the price) was sharper and quicker focusing in everything but VERY low light. Even with the wider aperture, the Stokes were not as sharp except when it was almost completely dark. Which really says something very good about the Pentax optics. I would highly recommed the Pentax 8x32. It's an exceptional value, and gives bird views that are fantastic. The Stokes were fine binos, with a beautiful flat field and nice ergonomics, but I guess I'm really an 8x32 man at heart. I don't like carrying the extra weight unless I'm getting something dramatic, and I wasn't. Hope this helps anyone who is interested in either of these bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back