• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

There have been a couple of recent requests for an Upton Warren tick list so please find attached the latest version.

Attachments

• UW tick list v3.doc
    163 KB · Views: 119
Having re-run the exercise for Great White Egret from the correct date of its arrival at Upton Warren (28th November) and allowing for some degree of duplication it would still suggest that there are around 40 birds currently wintering in Britain.

Chew Valley Lake, Somerset - 2
Greylake RSPB, Somerset - 1
Ham Wall RSPB, Somerset - 2
Blagdon Lake, Somerset - 1
Burton Mere, Cheshire - up to 2
Neston, Cheshire - 1
Frodsham, Cheshire - 1
Marshside RSPB, Cheshire - 1
Hale, Cheshire - 1
Blashford Lakes, Hampshire - 1
Pitsford Reservoir, Northamptonshire - 1
Clumber Park, Nottinghamshire - 1
Snettisham, Norfolk - 1
Scotney Gravel Pits, Kent / East Sussex - 2
East Guldeford Levels, East Sussex - 1
Brett's Marina, Lydd, Kent - up to 5
Denge Marsh, Dungeness, Kent - 1
Rutland Water, Leicestershire - 1
Grove Ferry, Kent - 1
Ardvenish / Eoligarry, Barra, Western Isles - 1
Ravensthorpe, Northamptonshire - 1
Summer Leys, Earls Barton, Northamptonshire - 1
Middleton Lakes RSPB, Warwickshire - 1
Llanrhidian Marsh, Glamorgan - 3
Lakenheath RSPB, Norfolk / Suffolk - 2
Yearsley Moor, Yorkshire - 1
Reydon, Suffolk - 1
Dunwich, Suffolk - 1
Eyebrook Reservoir, Leicestershire - 1
Llangorse Lake, Powys - 1
Covenham Reservoir, Lincolnshire - 1
Studland, Dorset - 1
Hornsea, Yorkshire - 1
Leighton Moss RSPB, Lancashire - 1
Silverdale Moss, Lancashire - 1

The current Great White Egret is still some distance away from being the longest staying individual in the County. One was present at Grimley on Camp Lane Pits from 2nd August to 2nd September 2012 with presumably the same bird again in the same location from 26th September to 7th October 2012.

Birding the Moors Today

Had a slow walk around the North Moors this morning, plenty of winter thrushes and finches. The habitat looks great for a bittern but as yet nout.
Species Count NM: Mallard 2, Water rail, great spotted woodp, kingfisher, Fieldfare 45, redwing 40, cetti's warbler, chaffinch 6 (numbers very low at moment), greenfinch 3, bullfinch, Siskin c30 alders on car park, redpoll 5, goldfinch 40. goldcrest, reed bunting,

MOORS: The Great white egret was very mobile today seen fishing in many parts of the main pool, including the new Bittern channel where it was seen to catch 9 fish of varying sizes. Little egret, grey heron 2, Little grebe 2, GCG, cormorant 28, shoveler 34, teal 100, mallard c55, Pochard 19 (13 male), Tufted 28, coot 290, water rail 5 seen and heard, snipe 1, curlew 13, herring gull 5, LBBG 5, BHG 60, kestrel, stock dove 2, collared dove 5, mistle thrush 2, Cetti's w 2, grey wag, goldcrest, from secret garden a mixed flock of 75 birds numbers and species as in NM car park where they flew to.
pic of GWE in the Bittern, with the water level low the bird is able to fish all along the channel.

Attachments

• GWE in Bittern channel Dec 15 DSCF2517.jpg
    GWE in Bittern channel Dec 15 DSCF2517.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
birding the Flashes

SAILING POOL:
The smew wasn't seen in the hour or so I was there and I don't thing it was reported today. But it was surprising to see so many shoveler feeding on the pool. The GCG's were also regularly diving, so there must be plenty of fish around. I would imagine the build up of waterbirds is due to the lack of activity on the pool over the last week or so.
Species count Sailing Pool: GCG 11, little grebe 4, cormorant 3, shoveler 20, mallard 6, tufted 8, coot 10, kingfisher 2, chiffchaff

FLASHES: The water level is constant now at 0.28 but more mud is being exposed on the 1st Flash. Not a lot of change from last week although I didn't stay for the roost.
species count Flashes: Teal 50, shoveler 10, mallard 45, coot 4, moorhen 25, snipe 12, lapwing 430, curlew 6, redshank, BHG 80, stock dove 5, grey wag,

Last edited:
SAILING POOL:
The smew wasn't seen in the hour or so I was there and I don't thing it was reported today. But it was surprising to see so many shoveler feeding on the pool. The GCG's were also regularly diving, so there must be plenty of fish around. I would imagine the build up of waterbirds is due to the lack of activity on the pool over the last week or so.
Species count Sailing Pool: GCG 11, little grebe 4, cormorant 3, shoveler 20, mallard 6, tufted 8, coot 10, kingfisher 2,

FLASHES: The water level is constant now at 0.28 but more mud is being exposed on the 1st Flash. Not a lot of change from last week although I didn't stay for the roost.
species count Flashes: Teal 50, shoveler 10, mallard 45, coot 4, moorhen 25, snipe 12, lapwing 430, curlew 6, redshank, BHG 80, stock dove 5, grey wag,

John, did your five Green Sands on Tuesday collect on one of the islands?

Des.

I found the 1990 Smew on the first flash at 14.10 on Sunday 14 January 1990. (I didn't get out again until the Saturday 20th, me being at work and it being dark, so don't know when it was last seen.) But it certainly wasn't the February dates quoted because I was watching Naumann's Thrush and Dark-eyed Junco!

John, I found my notes for the 1990 Smew and they add a few more details to to your information.

Des.

If you can't read the faded ink or my writing, I will transcribe it!

Attachments

• P1120369 (1280x976).jpg
    P1120369 (1280x976).jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 81
Flashes roost was rightly nervous this evening, Sparrowhawk hunting, Buzzard flying low, Peregrine come in fast over the hide, after all this the redshank was still standing, Only additions to John, 300 BHG, Green Woody, 13 Curlew.

Attachments

• IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    610.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2486.JPG
    IMG_2486.JPG
    786.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2491.JPG
    IMG_2491.JPG
    733.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2494.JPG
    IMG_2494.JPG
    644.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2489.JPG
    IMG_2489.JPG
    507.8 KB · Views: 87
Just to add that on Wednesday I witnessed a pair or GCB doing a quite a bit of head shaking, but not much else...seems spring is just around the corner!

A brief visit at end of play yesterday resulted in the Great white egret flying across the far side of the Moors Pool just as I entered the concrete hide, as quick as my bumbling hands would allow I set up the tripod and fired off a couple of pics before the bird disappeared to my left.
First time I've seen this bird fly any distance. It was a fine late afternoon weather wise with gorgeous sunshine covering the pool, unlike today!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/126184165@N03/99056E

Attachments

• 6P2A9869.jpg
    6P2A9869.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 129
GWE comparisons

GWE at Moors yesterday afternoon. When we left the bird had relocated from the northern end back to the southern end and was wandering in the shrubbery to the right of the sand martins box. Was put up previously by the police chopper doing a noisy and low pass down the east side from south to north.

1. Comparison in size with heron although the heron is in slightly more deeper water and more sideways on.
2. The upper legs are slightly lighter in colour than I realised. Good u-bend.
3. Ah. That's better!
4. The characteristic kink in the neck.
5. Went for a swim after the wash and brush up. A different view on the world.
First one from track at gate end; the rest from the west hide.

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_6660a.jpg
    IMG_6660a.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6678a.jpg
    IMG_6678a.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6681a.jpg
    IMG_6681a.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6692a.jpg
    IMG_6692a.jpg
    915.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6741a.jpg
    IMG_6741a.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 90
Odds and ends

1 and 2 shots of GWE at each end of the pool.
3. Cormorants gathering on the old raft.
4. Beware the drakes. War dance anti clockwise around the feeder. Serious stuff that! Shades of the witches in Macbeth. Believed to be searching for their pond - they want it back a spokes duck said;) A lot of puddling went on as well.

On a serious note - might a viewing screen be a good idea at the track end of the bittern channel? Bittern and GWE birds are easily spooked and some newcomers perhaps, are not aware of the break in the hedging, perhaps coming past a little too quickly.

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_6832a.jpg
    IMG_6832a.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6887a.jpg
    IMG_6887a.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6812a.jpg
    IMG_6812a.jpg
    901.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6793a.jpg
    IMG_6793a.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 57
1 and 2 shots of GWE at each end of the pool.
3. Cormorants gathering on the old raft.
4. Beware the drakes. War dance anti clockwise around the feeder. Serious stuff that! Shades of the witches in Macbeth. Believed to be searching for their pond - they want it back a spokes duck said;) A lot of puddling went on as well.

On a serious note - might a viewing screen be a good idea at the track end of the bittern channel? Bittern and GWE birds are easily spooked and some newcomers perhaps, are not aware of the break in the hedging, perhaps coming past a little too quickly.

Phil
Phil funny enough we spoke about a screen here yesterday. I will have a word with the Trust next week. The Bittern channel is proving to be a hit with everything but it's name sake 8-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back