• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (143 Viewers)

Do I detect an issue with the primary feathers on the left wing in Lee's shot, or us it just a red herring?

Des.

Also have a look at Stuart Andrews' photo on the WorcesterBirding website news page - something going on with primary on left wing (missing / broken / bent??). Personally I would be amazed if it isn't the same individual involved in the Bittell and Upton sightings.

Also have a look at Stuart Andrews' photo on the WorcesterBirding website news page - something going on with primary on left wing (missing / broken / bent??). Personally I would be amazed if it isn't the same individual involved in the Bittell and Upton sightings.

Agreed.

Des.

Managed a couple of shots from the B/channel but the light at 08:50 this morning was absolutely dire.

Attachments

• BN5A0713a.jpg
    BN5A0713a.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 90
Was hoping to get down to the Warren before Christmas but unfortunately won't be doing it so I would like to wish everyone at the Warren a Happy Christmas and a happy near year.

Flashes roost earlier, did count the gulls or Lapwing as they were being very active and the Lapwing left anyway:
13 Curlew, 70 Teal, 28 Morhen, 7 Stock Dove (flying North), Redshank, 2 Green Sandpiper

Smew still on the Sailing Pool this morning as per Dave J. Also 3 Little Egrets, 30 Shoveler, 12 Curlew, 11 Great Crested Grebe, 2 Little Grebe.

Full WeBS counts later

Last edited:
Great White Egret still on Moors Pool as per Dave J (plus Little Egret, Dunlin briefly, 19 Pochard and the Smew relocating from the Sailing Pool)

Last edited:
Not a lot to add to Dave J"s sightings
Moors; Siskin 35. Redpoll 5. Fieldfare 45. redwing 12. Song thrush 2. .
Sailing pool; Great white egret flew towards flashes. Shoveler 8.
Flashes : Great White egret hunting on 3rd Flash. Teal 70. Curlew 13. Lapwing 400+. dunlin . Redshank. Green sand 2. BHG 405 roosted. LBBG. Barn owl hunted briefly in southern part of 2nd Flash from 4.34pm. goldcrest. No Starling roost at all.

Last edited:
Today's WeBS count from Dave J:

Mute Swan 4, Greylag Goose [no count ], Canada Goose 61, Teal 170, Mallard 63, Shoveler 42, Pochard 19, Tufted Duck 38, Smew 1, Cormorant 19, Little Egret 3, Great White Egret 1, Grey Heron 1, Little Grebe 3, Great Crested Grebe 15, Water Rail 4+, Moorhen 41, Coot 271, Lapwing 396, Dunlin 1, Jack Snipe [no count], Snipe 2+, Redshank 1, Curlew 12, Black-headed Gull 70, LBB Gull 7, Herring Gull 8, Kingfisher 3+

Last edited:
Today's WeBS count from Dave J:

Mute Swan 4, Greylag Goose [no count ], Canada Goose 61, Teal 170, Mallard 63, Shoveler 42, Pochard 19, Tufted Duck 38, Smew 1, Cormorant 19, Little Egret 3, Great White Egret 1, Grey Heron 1, Little Grebe 3, Great Crested Grebe 15, Water Rail 4+, Moorhen 41, Coot 271, Lapwing 396, Dunlin 1, Jack Snipe [no count], Snipe 2+, Redshank 1, Curlew 12, Black-headed Gull 70, LBB Gull 77), Herring Gull 8, Kingfisher 3+

Strangely yesterday I didn't hear a single snipe fly out at dark at the Flashes. Whether this was due to the increase in sprawk and peregrine attacks on the lapwing flocks I'm not sure. But numbers tend to decrease in December after peaking in November. This generally happens when freeze overs occur, but we haven't had any so far, so perhaps they always move off in December. However there are always some calling at dark, maybe they're all at the Moors on Amy's Marsh. ?

Last edited:
Strangely yesterday I didn't hear a single snipe fly out at dark at the Flashes. Whether this was due to the increase in sprawk and peregrine attacks on the lapwing flocks I'm not sure. But numbers tend to decrease in December after peaking in November. This generally happens when freeze overs occur, but we haven't had any so far, so perhaps they always move off in December. However there are always some calling at dark, maybe they're all at the Moors on Amy's Marsh. ?

Will be interesting to see when you next do a work party around Amys Marsh / Broadmeadow what numbers come out; as we saw from the survey after the December work party at the Flashes there are limited numbers (4 or 5 Jacks, no more than 10 Common) on that side of the reserve.

Lots of Redpolls feeding away in the gloom, just to the left of the entrance to The Flashes

Attachments

• Redpolls comp.jpg
    Redpolls comp.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 136
Tuesday work party

Tomorrow we will start a new 3 year cycle of reed bed management. The block A reed section along the causeway is where we will be working tomorrow. The water level has been dropped to enable us to work in relatively dry conditions.
Meet at car park 9ish wellies needed. Other small tasks might also be carried out depending on numbers��john

1.The 3 year reed bed cutting rotation scheme
2. in red the bittern channel

Attachments

• a for forum NW reed bed 3 year ROTA sched 2013 ONWARDS.jpg
    a for forum NW reed bed 3 year ROTA sched 2013 ONWARDS.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 113
  • with bittern channel addeda for forum NW reed bed 3 year ROTA sched 2013 ONWARDS.jpg
    with bittern channel addeda for forum NW reed bed 3 year ROTA sched 2013 ONWARDS.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back