• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (6 Viewers)

Always good to find a Kingfisher somewhere different.
Yesterday a run to the River Rea for the Kingfisher on the way back I checked the Bourn.
A Kingfisher called along the bends.

Kingfisher along the River Rea in two places.
On Monday a cycle ride to see them.
Tuesday a quick visit to the second location before the rain. Although I expected heavier rain.

River Rea, one location, Kingfisher.
River Rea, second location, Kingfisher chirping away for several minutes.

Last edited:
After the River Cole it was the River Rea.
Almost straight away the Kingfisher flew in calling.
Then later, the second location Kingfisher flying up and down calling.
Later I went for a run, fish in the Bourn and about five Song Thrush singing. Good to hear Chaffinch.

Along the River Rea good to see a well timed handover of duties between the male and female Kingfisher.
One flew in, the other flew off.

A cycle ride on Tuesday in the sunshine.
Good to see fish in the Bourn & canal.
The first River Rea location a Kingfisher flew past.
At the second River Rea location another good handover.
One in and one out.

Friday, Saturday & Sunday; Kingfisher along the River Rea and River Cole.
A female Kingfisher waited for her mate to receive a fish.
The River Rea Kingfisher flew in calling two mornings in a row. Sunday morning it flew off and did a u turn through the trees to fly past me.
Fish along the Bourn & very small fish/fry along the Bourn Brook. A Great Crested Grebe at the boating pond, Valley Parkway. Diving for fish. I've never seen one there before. From BTO, one last reported 2015.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/50033911023/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:
A report on BTO of a Kingfisher back along the Bourn Brook.
I took a look yesterday and sure enough it was opposite the old res. Today it was near the blue bridge.
That's my first sighting along the Bourn Brook for just over 3 months.
A good number of Grey Wagtails.
I briefly saw a Kestrel.

Last edited:
Saturday, the Kingfisher calling further down at River Rea location one. It didn't fly past.
Yesterday, Kingfisher catching fish at River Rea location two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back