• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Review (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 supplied courtesy of Bogen Imaging
Check out the Birdfroum - Bogen Competition
http://www.bogenimaging.co.uk/bfcontest

This carbon fibre legset is aimed at the birder or photographer who requires something extremely lightweight to support their spotting scope or photography equipment, but with a rugged build that will endure many years of use.

As for height at full leg extension but without use of the centre column, it reaches 122cm, which doesn't sound too impressive but your tripod head is likely to add extra height and for birders with angled scopes, that should be enough height for most (certainly myself at 6ft 4inch). The centre column will raise the tripod base plate to 146cm, but at a loss of stability.

Weighing in at 1.3kg, it is certainly an extremely lightweight legset, nobody can argue with that. The build quality is very impressive, with no shortage of magnesium alloy being used in the areas that need it. There are no plasticky leg locks on the 190CXPRO4, they are tough units and do not appear to be a weak link as they sometimes can be. However, I'll have to state that my preference is for twist leg locks rather than clips... some clips can make an unfortunate amount of noise for those observing nature, but the action of the locks on the 190CXPRO4 was quite soft and quiet.

For the photographer, this legset offers some nice touches such as the easy to view built-in spirit level and the Manfrotto Q90°system for rapidly putting the centre column into a horizontal position, eg handy for macro work.
190horizontal.jpg

The 190CXPRO4 offers 4 different leg angles, ultimately getting you down to less than 10cm if you use the horizontal centre column option. I didn't find the mechanism for adjusting the leg angles to give much positive feel to let you know when you were at one of the set angles, but it could be something you get used to quite quickly.
190low.jpg

The base plate that you affix your tripod head onto is quite wide in diameter and offers 3 Allen type grub screws to screw into any appropriate recesses on the head, to secure it without fear of any rotation.
701HDVhead.jpg
The maximum load stated for this legset is 5kg (11lb) and getting to this level of weight would help stability but I'd be happier sticking to 2-3kg. The bottoms leg sections do look perilously thin, but it has to be said that I am used to the very strongest legsets, which are designed for far greater loads... from a birding and light photography perspective, the 190CXPRO4 will easily cope.

As a birding legset, it does the job admirably, it was a surprisingly stable platform for 85mm spotting scope. Initially from visuals, I didn't have too much faith in the rigidity.
Yes, you can get more stable legsets but from a birding viewpoint with weight being a big factor, this is a pretty good choice.
190and701HDV.jpg

Specifications:
closed length: 50.0 cm
minimum height: 8.0 cm
maximum height: 146.0 cm
maximum height (with center column down): 122.0 cm
weight: 1.3 kg
load capacity: 5.0 kg
color: black
patent: patented
material: carbon fiber tubing + magnesium castings
leg cross section: round
column cross section: three-faceted
leg sections: 4
bubble spirit level (no): 1
leg angles: 25°,46°,66°,89°
center column: rapid
section center column: 1
column tube diameter: 25mm
attachment (top): 3/8'' screw
legs tube diameter: 24,8 , 20,4 , 16 , 11,6 mm

Very nice review, Andy. Can you confirm for me that the center column in this tripod is the same size as the aluminum models like the 3001XPROB (earlier aluminum model with horizontal arm capability). I THINK the center columns are the same diameter and shape (rounded triangle), but not absolutely sure they match. I like to be able to swap center columns between my tripods as a mechanism for quickly swapping heads, for example when I want to go from a video head used for scoping to a pure 3-way head for photography.

Very nice review, Andy. Can you confirm for me that the center column in this tripod is the same size as the aluminum models like the 3001XPROB (earlier aluminum model with horizontal arm capability). I THINK the center columns are the same diameter and shape (rounded triangle), but not absolutely sure they match. I like to be able to swap center columns between my tripods as a mechanism for quickly swapping heads, for example when I want to go from a video head used for scoping to a pure 3-way head for photography.

Not 100% sure, but it's 25mm from corner to corner of the 'rounded triangle' of the 190CXPRO4 column.
I think you'd have to pose the question to Bogen to be 100% sure, but if your current centre column is 25mm, then I couldn't see any real problem.
cheers,
Andy

I just measure and my center column looks to be 25mm too. So it looks like a match. Thanks for the info!

I'm thinking of getting one of the manfrotto 190 or 055 models for use with a scope (currently a cheapo aldi one but hopefully a nicer 60mm scope in the future) and I wondered whether you find the height an issue on the 190. I am 5ft 10 and from what i've read on the internet gather it wouldn't be usable for a straight scope but would it be fine with an angled one?
thanks

thanks very much, now I've just got to decide on the tripod head, new scope, eyepiece and maybe protective case!

Andy,
I assume you have looked at a lot of different equipment. As the most light-weight, travel tripod that also would be sturdy, would you say this qualifies? Are there any other models that I should look at? With the weight limits on bags increasingly enforced, and living in a place where I fly out several times a year, I would strongly consider a good low weight option.

I currently use the Manfrotto B190 model, which including a head is about 4.5 kg if I remember correctly.

Thanks
Niels

Great thread. Is it possible to buy spare centre columns as I would want to be able to cut one into a short stub for dropping the legs right down to ground level?

Turning it horizontal would work with some heads but not a gimbal.

I'm think of getting the 190CXPRO3 and 700RC2 head for my Swaro ATS65HD. The scope onlyweighs 1.7kg, so this should be well within tolerance for this tripod and head, right?

Last edited:
I'm think of getting the 190CXPRO3 and 700RC2 head for my Swaro ATS65HD. The scope onlyweighs 1.7kg, so this should be well within tolerance for this tripod and head, right?

I am using this head on a different tripod with a heavier scope, and would say yes to that part. I dont know the legs ... but look at what Andy used it with in post #1

Niels

I bought the 190CXPRO3 and the 700RC2 head on Saturday for my Swaro 65, and went birding today. Lovely stuff.

Thanks for that info.:t:
I wondered. If when operating the 700RC2, with the pan & tilt lock head.

Do you have to continually keep adjusting the tilt lock?
I see it has a 'Pan Drag' but to stop the scope from tipping backwards or forward, everytime you stop viewing or look through your bins.
Do you have to continually tighten the tilt lock?

The reason I ask is that I have only ever used a 3 way heads. Which is controlled by tightening/loosening the handle only. With no need for a tilt locks as such.

I have to un-tighten and tighten the tilt lock otherwise the scope will become unbalanced and tilt backwards. Doesn't bother me one bit to be honest. It's all so silky smooth.

Thanks for that info.:t:
I wondered. If when operating the 700RC2, with the pan & tilt lock head.

Do you have to continually keep adjusting the tilt lock?
I see it has a 'Pan Drag' but to stop the scope from tipping backwards or forward, everytime you stop viewing or look through your bins.
Do you have to continually tighten the tilt lock?

The reason I ask is that I have only ever used a 3 way heads. Which is controlled by tightening/loosening the handle only. With no need for a tilt locks as such.

I have the same head which I use with an 80mm ed scope. This is balanced so that with a proper setting of the tilt lever, I do not need to constantly adjust, not even when putting the scope onto my back for a short walk. It is mainly a question of finding just the right level of tightness, I guess.

Niels

I have the same head which I use with an 80mm ed scope. This is balanced so that with a proper setting of the tilt lever, I do not need to constantly adjust, not even when putting the scope onto my back for a short walk. It is mainly a question of finding just the right level of tightness, I guess.

Niels

All the photo's show the handle of the 700 RC2 on the right.
I wondered. Can you change the position of the handle onto the left also. The same as you can with the 701hdv.

You can change the direction of the handle so that it just out forward when looking at the head in the usual direction. If you then invert the direction of the scope, the handle is effectively at the left. The tilt lever will then be at the right, but the pan lever will be in the opposite corner, away from you. Given that the pan lever needs to be adjusted only sparingly (unless you are doing digiscoping), I guess that will be good enough.

Niels

So I've been happily using my 190CXPRO3 tripod since I bought it on the 6th Feb, but today as I was out birding not only did one of the rubber feet fall off at an unknown point (lost to the wilderness) but the lower part of that leg came clean out!

I have no idea how this happened, but have contacted the shop (fortunately I didn't buy online) I bought it from and will be expecting a replacement when I take it in for them to see in the week.

Hope nobody else falls victim to this.

Awesome tripod, though; I expect I was just unlucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back