• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica d-lux 3 & televid apo 77 (1 Viewer)

Glad I read your message before buying Leica ?

Dear Paul,

I have a Televid APO 77 and am in the market to do some digiscoping. was going to buy the Leica D lux 2 and the Leica Digital Adapter 2 since I thought they would be safe choices for the scope. Should I hold off ? Now I am worried as I'd like to use my scope for photos ?

Paul Hackett said:
Jeff Bouton said:
All,

I would suggest that what we are seeing here is not indicative of any camera drawback, as much as a problem with specific usage. ANY camera would perform similarly under these same settings. We don't have the whole story here and unless you are familiar with the equipment and the limitations of ANY digiscoping/optical system you may be tempted to draw this same unfair (and incorrect) conclusion about the quality of the equipment being used!

Dear Jeff

Dont really subscribe to this theory as there are other P & S cameras that can be used with Leica eyepieces (athough not the same image quality) where vignetting is not evident at all through the optical zoom range, ( Leica 20XWA on a Sony N1, Fuji F30, Contax and Kyocera range) and the external zoom does not retract and switch the camera off when it comes into contact with a hard object, ie scope eyepiece.

Please answer me honestly, if you noted the vignetting and retractable lens problem of the camera to the customer before they bought the items, would they buy?

The image stabilisation is not really functional in terms of digiscoping and only adds a little noise to the picture IMHO, the image stabilisation is only for the movement associated with hand holding the camera, not for the camera to be connected to a scope and the movement associated with that ( this is true of any of the new generation cameras with this function) and not really what we want for digiscoping, i couldnt see any difference in picture sharpness when i tried it out, so kept it switched off.

Also, to be told you can crop the picture to gain a vignetting free picture is acceptable?

With this amount of money spent on a camera and adapter why would you have to fiddle with the set up to gain a good picture? the current cost of these items in the UK is £490 for the camera and £138 for the adapter, £628/$1140 in total, OK, UK taxes stink, but we have to pay it in this country

This is another attempt by Leica to introduce a camera deemed suitable for digiscoping, and its clearly not, nobody doubts the quality of the image, but the R & D have not done their homework as they would have picked up on feedback from the last model and would have fixed the vignetting and retracting lens issue, it was noted on enough websites, which leads me to believe this camera and the C-LUX1 was not designed for digiscoping, or it wasnt deemed important or cost effective enough to fix these problems? The digiscoping adapter is crying out for a designated cable release to be affixed, because especially in this country and others in Europe, we do not have the hours of sunshine over the year to use just our forefinger!

The solution would require running the camera zoom out even more, or reducing scope zoom and cropping a clearer subject in post processing. Increasing camera zoom obviously complicates things by reducing shutter speeds to the point where it is difficult to eliminate motion blur. This also causes loss of resolution by inducing more noise (a result of magnifying impurities, water vapor, etc. in the air seen with all cameras!) This is why I suggested earlier and still maintain to use minimum zoom with any digiscoping systems for best results.

The long term solution is to address the vignetting problem on at least one or both of the Leica Lenses, 20xWA or 32XWA

IMHO the D-Lux3 will be a fantastic digiscoping camera just as its predecessor was with a great lens, optical image stabilization, 8 mega-pixel, large bright screen, etc.

Jeff, it wont be a great digiscoping camera and neither was its predecessor because of the problems noted, it will be a digiscoping camera that can take digiscoped shots but with some real and practical problems associated with the taking of those pictures, if these problems were addressed, many Leica users would buy the camera just for the ability to use RAW files that is fact, believe me

I own a Leica APO 77mm scope, 20XWA, 32XWA and Zoom eyepieces, it was my first scope i used for digiscoping 7 years ago, the 20XWA is one of the best digiscopng eyepieces around, and i still use it, i have tried out both the C-LUX 1 and D-LUX3 cameras so therefore can speak from experience

I also use the Leica scope when i give lectures and seminars in the UK and have also bought the Leica digiscoping adapter to use on other cameras, the Sony N1 and Fuji F30 fit it nicely without any vignetting on the 20XWA eyepiece, i have a home made cable release to allow me to take steady shots

To conclude, for the money Leica are charging, there needs to be changes in the next generation of Leica cameras suitable for digiscoping( if there is a next generation? ) the camera lens needs to be free of vignetting against the scope eyepiece through the full range of the camera optical zoom, ( WA eypieces only) and the retractable lens problem needs dealing with, the anti shake function needs removing, the adapter needs some sort of fixing which centres and locks the camera more accurately, then a fine tuning mechanism which moves the camera on a X and Y axis as to centralise the camera over the eyepeice to find the sweet spot, and a designated cable release connecting to the adapter or even a remote method created. If these points are addressed, then yes you have a very good digiscoping camera and adapter for the Leica scopes.

Jeff, i understand the need for you to help your customers after they have bought the product, but the product really does fall short on the points above when you are extolling the virtues of this setup as a suitable digiscoping setup, considering it is the most expensive P & S camera recommended for Digiscoping at the moment in the UK.

Paul

In reading all these threads as a new person to digiscoping I am not sure what to do now. I have a Televid 77 APO and was thinking of buying the Leica set up with Leica D lux 2 or 3 ? and the digital adapter 2. what do you think ? Dan

re Adice on Leica purchase

I have a Leica APO 77 televid and was goin to buy a Du x lux 2 camera and adapter 2. ? Should I do this do you think given the back and forth issues I read here. dan

rentoncharman said:
In response to Jeff's latest post requesting user response I can give you my latest experiences with the D-Lux 3 and Apo-Televid 62 and the Leica digital adapter 2.

My earlier posts described the problems I was having minimising vignetting and dark shadowing. I must say I was preoccupied with setting the system up to give a full frame image with minimal vignetting. With the zoom lens in particular I always then suffered degradation of the image by variable dark shadowing.

I now tackle things differently. I have found there is an optimum distance for positioning the camera lens from the eyepiece which gives a very clear and good quality image and this varies depending on the eyepiece used and in the case of the zoom lens it varies with the zoom setting. This optimum position does however give a circular vignette and I've noticed that if the camera lens is in the optimum position the circular vignette edge is sharp.

I don't use camera zoom anymore. The magnification is determined solely by the eyepiece setting. Using this set-up I get good quality images but I do need to crop out the vignette in Photoshop - this is no problem since I shoot raw anyway.

Use of the x26 WA eyepiece gives very little vignetting compared with the zoom but finding the optimum distance is still important to give clear images.

It would be preferable to have no vignetting AND a clear image of course but I don't think my system can give both based on a prolonged number of hours fiddling with the setup.

An important point here is that I'm using the Apo 62. I have asked Jeff to establish if there is any difference in the performance of the 77 compared with the 62 and he has promised to respond. Just wondered if anyone else can help.

I can see your feeling and reasoning wanting to stay with Leica, but it's not looking good, is it? In the Leica scope you have one of the finest available for digiscoping, but that camera's design seems wanting when put to such a use. I think I'd be looking elsewhere - a Fuji F30, perhaps? Seems to be flavour of the month and it is a well made little camera with some unique qualities, such as low noise at high ASA speeds, that are a real help when digiscoping.

cymruboy said:
Dear Paul,

I have a Televid APO 77 and am in the market to do some digiscoping. was going to buy the Leica D lux 2 and the Leica Digital Adapter 2 since I thought they would be safe choices for the scope. Should I hold off ? Now I am worried as I'd like to use my scope for photos ?

I think that the best advice is to try other cameras and make your own mind up as what you feel suits you and that you are happy with the results if you have oppurtunity to test them, its the only way, all we as fellow BF members do for you is offer advice. You at the end of the day need to make the final choice

Rgds

Paul

d Lux 3 digiscoping

k2ted said:
I've just purchased a leica d-lux 3 with adaptor and already have a televid 77 scope. I'm new to digiscoping but am having trouble setting the zoom. What happens is that when I set the zoom on near max I think(?) the camera lens hits the scope lens which causes the camera to automatically turn off. Is there an ideal distance the adaptor should be set at??
If I sit the camera further away the image suffers from vignetting. Is this normal and the pics just need cropping??

grateful for any advice.

Hi there,
In response to your question I have found the following set up to work best. I have the Televid 62 APO with 16-48x zoom, digital adapter 2 and d lux 3 camera. Unscrew the eye relief this will hold the adapter a little further away. Let the adapter sit against the rubber eye relief and nip it up. Slide the adapter out to its fully extended position. This will allow the zoom on the camera to fully extend to 4x optical zoom. Switch the camera to the classic 3:2 ratio this will crop off some more of vignetting. Set the zoom lens to its widest field of view 16x in this case. Set the camera to spot metering and use the area focus to focus on the subjects eyes. Use the auto focus function and the camera set to auto mode. Use time delay of 2 secs if subject is looking kind of still (wading birds are easier). A cable release conversion is available to avoid camera shake. A sturdy tripod also helps. You have also to expect a little vignetting whatever the situation with this set up. You just have to look past it and crop it out with the software. Hope this helps a little.
Martyn

rentoncharman said:
In response to Jeff's latest post requesting user response I can give you my latest experiences with the D-Lux 3 and Apo-Televid 62 and the Leica digital adapter 2.

An important point here is that I'm using the Apo 62. I have asked Jeff to establish if there is any difference in the performance of the 77 compared with the 62 and he has promised to respond. Just wondered if anyone else can help.

I've been waiting for Jeff to reply on this one for a number of months now, perhaps the 77 is no better than the 62.

Renton

rentoncharman said:
Renton,

You are right that the 77 is not necessarily better than the 62 in terms of vignetting or even sharpness/brightness - if you use the 26xW eyepiece. The fixed eyepiece has the same eye-relief and apparent FOV on the 77 mm scope. The only difference is 32x power vs. 26x.

However, if you use the zoom at the same power on both scopes, say 20x, then the APO77 is brighter, sharper *and* has less vignetting than the APO62 (you have to zoom-in).
Hope this makes some sense.

Best regards,

Ilkka

iporali said:
Renton,

You are right that the 77 is not necessarily better than the 62 in terms of vignetting or even sharpness/brightness - if you use the 26xW eyepiece. The fixed eyepiece has the same eye-relief and apparent FOV on the 77 mm scope. The only difference is 32x power vs. 26x].

Looks like the 77 is slightly better but not enough. Overall I'm very disappointed with the Leica setup using the D-Lux 3 and will be sticking to DSLR with a 500mm and converters.

Renton

rentoncharman said:
Looks like the 77 is slightly better but not enough. Overall I'm very disappointed with the Leica setup using the D-Lux 3 and will be sticking to DSLR with a 500mm and converters.
The Leica adapter actually looks like a very nice design to me and I know the Leica scopes and eyepieces are excellent for digiscoping. The problem here is most probably - again - the 4x lens of the D-Lux3. I am sure the C-Lux1 (or corresponding Panasonix Lumix models), Fuji F30 etc. would work well with your Leica setup. I just had a chance to briefly test the brand new 10Mpix Nikon P5000, which does not suffer from serious vignetting problems (with typical 19mm eye-relief).

Ilkka

I have been using this camera with a Swarovski ATS80 HD, fitted with 20 - 60 zoom, and am very disappointed with the results.
Even on the lowest aspect ratio I have to use the full 4x camera zoom to minimise vignetting. At this magnification it is almost impossible to obtain sharp images because of camera shake and/or movement by the bird I am attempting to photograph. The problem is further compounded by the fact that at 4x zoom the largest aperture available is f4.9 which means using longer shutter speeds.
Is anyone else using this setup and, if so, are you experiencing similar problems or am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Dave

DJW said:
Is anyone else using this setup and, if so, are you experiencing similar problems or am I doing something wrong?

Dave,

If you are just handholding the camera to the eyepiece and you have to zoom up to 4x to remove vignetting, you may actually hold the camera too close. The Swaro zoom has relatively good eye-relief at 20x and the camera zoom is at its shortest somewhere in the middle of the zoom range. This may lead to vignetting/blackouts due to shading caused by the camera lens. In principle you should get rid of the black frames at about 2.5x zoom. If you use a wide-angled eyepiece, you can use the zoom from about 35mm (film-equivalent) up.

You could zoom the camera at 2-2.5x and put it in contact with the eyepiece. If you see diffuse shading in the corners, move the camera slowly away from the eyepiece. If - at some point - you see sharp black borders, that is the correct distance and you could design a "bottle cap"-adapter to keep the camera correctly aligned and separated. As you imply,
keeping the camera zoom as low as possible does help to get sharper pics.

Best regards,

Ilkka

Ilkka

Thanks for your comments.

I am using the Swaro DCB to attach the camera to the scope which enables me to control the scope/camera distance very accurately.

I will try your suggestions tonight but I think that a zoom of 2-2.5x is still too much.

I have been told that the Fuji F30 has little or no vignetting even on its wide angle setting when used with my setup so I am thinking of abandoning the Leica as a digiscoping camera and purchasing the Fuji instead.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
DJW said:
I am using the Swaro DCB to attach the camera to the scope which enables me to control the scope/camera distance very accurately.

I will try your suggestions tonight but I think that a zoom of 2-2.5x is still too much.

I have been told that the Fuji30 has little or no vignetting even on its wide angle setting when used with my setup so I am thinking of abandoning the Leica as a digiscoping camera and purchasing the Fuji instead.

OK, so there is no reason for you to go to any bottlecap systems ;)!

If you want to use your zoom eyepiece, you can't (with any camera) avoid zooming to 2-2.5x (to approximately 70mm film-equivalent) to remove black edges, because this vignetting comes from the scope eyepiece - not camera.

If you go with a fixed wide eyepiece, you can use the entire zoom range - or almost. But the difference between a fixed 30x and the zoom at 20x is actually quite small: with 30x you can use shorter camera focal lengths, and larger aperture, but the exit pupil is correspondingly smaller. There are several controversial results about which is better, zoom at 20x or a fixed 30x. Well, *I* think the fixed 20x is THE best, but then again Swaro's 20xSW has slightly restricting eye-relief eg. compared to Leica's and Kowa's offerings. But still, the 20xSW is my primary digiscoping eyepiece - and with many cameras you *can* use the whole zoom range.

Ilkka

Leica Adaptor... and lens type

I have the Leica adaptor and two lenses for my APO62..
the 20/60 Zoom which it fits perfectly and the 40WW which seems to be of a much smaller diameter..
Are there two Leica versions of the WW lens.. my lens is about 3 years old..
Disappointed as there are many suggestions in this thread that point to me getting better results with the WW lens...

Any thoughts..???

Turbot1 said:
Are there two Leica versions of the WW lens.. my lens is about 3 years old..
Disappointed as there are many suggestions in this thread that point to me getting better results with the WW lens...

Hi Turbot1,

There are at least three wide-angle eyepieces for the Leica scopes:
- 20x with Televid 77, 16x with Televid 62
- 32x with Televid 77, 26x with Televid 62
- 40x with Televid 77, 32x with Televid 62
and the zoom is 16-48x with Televid 62

The best digiscoping eyepiece IMHO is the 20x, but it does not work as well with the 62mm scope, because the small scope limits the field-of-view of the eyepiece. In your case I would use the zoom at 16x - the view is quite narrow, but very sharp and bright.

Some common reasons for the blurriness you mentioned in another thread are:
- trying to photograph a bird that is too far (they are always blurry - trust me! ;))
- air turbulence, shaky tripod, poor light, 40x eyepiece
- use of excess camera zoom (lenses are often soft at max zoom & wide open)
- slight misfocus (try to lock focus by half-pressing the shutter release and then fine focus with the scope)

My advice:
- Get as close to the subject you can
- Use as low power as you can (eyepiece & camera zoom)
- Make sure you have good light - yeah right ;)
- Focus using camera screen
- Use serial (burst) shooting - and shoot a lot
- See that the camera is centered and at correct distance from the eyepiece (sharp round black circle surrounding the image)

Best regards,

Ilkka

iporali said:
Hi Turbot1,

There are at least three wide-angle eyepieces for the Leica scopes:
- 20x with Televid 77, 16x with Televid 62
- 32x with Televid 77, 26x with Televid 62
- 40x with Televid 77, 32x with Televid 62
and the zoom is 16-48x with Televid 62

The best digiscoping eyepiece IMHO is the 20x, but it does not work as well with the 62mm scope, because the small scope limits the field-of-view of the eyepiece. In your case I would use the zoom at 16x - the view is quite narrow, but very sharp and bright.

Some common reasons for the blurriness you mentioned in another thread are:
- trying to photograph a bird that is too far (they are always blurry - trust me! ;))
- air turbulence, shaky tripod, poor light, 40x eyepiece
- use of excess camera zoom (lenses are often soft at max zoom & wide open)
- slight misfocus (try to lock focus by half-pressing the shutter release and then fine focus with the scope)

My advice:
- Get as close to the subject you can
- Use as low power as you can (eyepiece & camera zoom)
- Make sure you have good light - yeah right ;)
- Focus using camera screen
- Use serial (burst) shooting - and shoot a lot
- See that the camera is centered and at correct distance from the eyepiece (sharp round black circle surrounding the image)

Best regards,

Wow.... quick and full reply... I have the 40/32WWbut it is much smaller outer diameter than the zoom.. the adaptor does not close down small enough to fit.. It is a perfect fit on the zoom and even has cutouts to fit around the lens lock..My WW lens does not have the "lock" as my zoom does.. Do I have an old lens do you think.. B :)

Last edited:
Turbot1 said:
I have the 40/32WWbut it is much smaller outer diameter than the zoom.. the adaptor does not close down small enough to fit.. It is a perfect fit on the zoom and even has cutouts to fit around the lens lock..My WW lens does not have the "lock" as my zoom does.. Do I have an old lens do you think.. B :)

No, I don't think it is an old lens - the adapter just wasn't designed for it. If I remember correctly, the locking mechanism is only in the (newer) zoom eyepieces, where it is necessary. The 40/32xWW was introduced together with the 62mm scope, which is not a very old model.

Ilkka

The 40x/32x eyepiece is the newest of Leica's eyepieces, introduced especially to go with the 62 scope. It is about 3mm smaller in diameter, so you need to get something like a thick rubber band to go around it so the adapter will fit.

Nick

thanks.. I had got to that point yesterday but didn't have anything suitable around the house...
I am hoping that using the WW will sort a lot of the problems out..
I just can't beleive that Leica would sell equipment that doesn't fit all their kit//
I am still a big sucker for the Red Dot but am becoming disolutioned by the day...
AJ B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back