• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera phones (1 Viewer)

geoffw1946

England
Hi, can anyone tell me if camera phones can be used for bird photography via a telescope and whats the best. I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 3200.
Geoff

A.Geoff William said:
Hi, can anyone tell me if camera phones can be used for bird photography via a telescope and whats the best. I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 3200.
Geoff

I'd guess they would not be OK - what would be good is a phone to take a compact flash card

Hi Geoff,

They are now being used - PhoneScoping it is called!

Not sure about models, but a good bird (can't remember what) was recently identified by a phone scoped pic sent to a county recorder!

Tom.

Looking at those photos,although 2 yrs ago,such a thing would not have been possible,the camera mentioned by Andy,the Contax 300,weighs much less than a phone,takes up less room in ones pocket(I would think),and can be held to the eyepiece of scope or bins,and ,I would think would take a clearer picture.Would it not be a drain on the phone,s battery?.

I don't know about other makes but Nokia phones take multi-media cards, which are smaller versions of the ordinary smart media. Mine is a Nokia 6230. Would be interesting to test it, but the camera's on phones are pretty crap anyway so I can't see a great deal of success..........

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back