• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30E11 (2 Viewers)

Read the reviews on the EIIs So went for a pair with the credit card.Good price £305.00 inc Then thinking have I realey spent thee hundred bills on a pair of poro's. They arrived today my day off work so was able to take them out for a look through. All I can say is wow every word is true whats been said the view so sharp and bright as good as alpha roofs to me how everything pops into focus and the build quality is superb . When using them I found my self smiling to my self smug if you know what i mean . The quest for the perfect view could be over for me. It was these or the Opticron sr ga 8x32 Well pleased with the EIIs

Hello Breydon,

As I recall, Ace Optics in Bath, used to advertise the EII, as the best bird watching binoculars. Apparently, the owner used and loved them. I think that you got a very good price on yours, as the price, ten years, ago, was perhaps 299 quid.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello my friend. Thanks for your reply can i just ask what is the size in mm of the number five size.as i ordered a number five size here in the UK and it was to big. Thanks again Chris

One of the flip covers broke off, so I took the other one off, too. The flip covers have the number on it, but I'm pretty sure it's #5.

The diameter of the objective housings is 1.625" (sorry, I don't have mm on my ruler, being a Yank!). But according to this store (EO is out of #5s), the #5 covers fit 1.60" - 1.84" so it should work. Not sure why yours didn't.

Bushwacker # 5

The #4 will also fit albeit a bit snug since it fits 1.4 - 1.6 inches.

brokenroller

One of the flip covers broke off, so I took the other one off, too. The flip covers have the number on it, but I'm pretty sure it's #5.

The diameter of the objective housings is 1.625" (sorry, I don't have mm on my ruler, being a Yank!). But according to this store (EO is out of #5s), the #5 covers fit 1.60" - 1.84" so it should work. Not sure why yours didn't.

Bushwacker # 5

The #4 will also fit albeit a bit snug since it fits 1.4 - 1.6 inches.

brokenroller
Thanks my friend. inches sorted it. Uttings over here have all the sizes Take care Chris

Yes, No. 5 Bushwackers are the right fit. However, these make it harder to fit the E2's in the case, or in a hiking jacket pocket. As a heads up for those in search of E2's, they are still available at a superb price from the dealer known to the BF Illuminati.

This sample 8x30 EII is my favorite birding bin of all time and is the best of three samples (and last one), but I have another very sick kitty (lost my other cat three weeks ago), and so they have to go. Sacrificing at low price, with Bushwacker rings and wide neoprene strap included. The rubber Nikon EP rain guard is the individual EP kind, not the over-sized heavy one-piece rain guard that came with them, these are lighter weight and less bulky, and they get out of your way. Check out the ad and photos.

Nikon 8x30 EII for sale on BF Classifieds

Brock

Read the reviews on the EIIs So went for a pair with the credit card.Good price £305.00 inc Then thinking have I realey spent thee hundred bills on a pair of poro's. They arrived today my day off work so was able to take them out for a look through. All I can say is wow every word is true whats been said the view so sharp and bright as good as alpha roofs to me how everything pops into focus and the build quality is superb . When using them I found my self smiling to my self smug if you know what i mean . The quest for the perfect view could be over for me. It was these or the Opticron sr ga 8x32 Well pleased with the EIIs

Me to, exactly the same.

Just received today and been back and forth between the E2 and my long timer Hawke Sapphire 8x43.

Wanted the most optic for my limited £'s and didn't think the Monarch 7 8x30 would do it for me. Thankfully the E2 is great. Only thing I noticed negatively and I noticed immediately was CA although not a lot and if I get my eyes centred well then it's well controlled. I noticed it immediately because I haven't seen any in my two Hawkes in the years that I've had them so it did jump out at me from the E2. Otherwise I think the E2 is pretty fantastic and I'm definitely going to get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Bought not previously having had the chance to try one so it's also a relief that it's as good as everyone has been banging on about for years and a resoundingly definite keeper. Highly recommended.

I'm also glad that it didn't show my Sapphire up to be a complete dog. In fact it just confirmed what I always thought that the Sapphire is a very good bin especially at controlling CA but even my little 8x25 Hawke Frontier PC does that perfectly also.

Glad I have the Sapphire for wet days but I think I'm going to be using the E2 a lot otherwise. The Sapphire seems to have more magnification even though it's a 8x also so I imagine it will be more useful over distance and I know it excels in low light. Really glad they that they make a great pairing.

Dare I say it. Maybe I don't need any more binoculars! Definitely needed something decent just to have an alternative to the Sapphire and the E2 fits the bill perfectly. What really struck me is that the E2 seems so short and a fairly insubstantial lightweight binocular whereas the view is kind of huge and bright (and quite flat on mine)! This did amaze me. They should have called it the Nikon Tardis or something.

Sorry Brock to hear of your predicament. Seems a big shame that you are selling your great binocular when people like me are just discovering it largely thanks to folks like yourself. I just borrow the neighbourhood kitty or as you know it borrows me, usually for a ham breakfast weekdays.

Off topic but I actually saved a swift from murderous starlings the other day and probably the cat. Tried to lift it off some grass and had to pull the grass up to get it as it wouldn't let go. Anyhow ended up with it sitting on a pair of decorating jeans unitl it recovered and then took it upstairs and let it fly from the bedroom window. It was an absolute beauty of a bird and I didn't even bother grabbing a pic as I was more trying to think what to do with it but my neighbour did witness it taking off and shooting out of my bedroom window. Picture me carrying it upstairs on the jeans like cushion and trying to gee it up to fly and it just sitting there happy as a swift I suppose? It didn't even seem to want to leave as it just sat in the window until I shouted down to the neighbour. Bit magical experience.

Last edited:
Me to, exactly the same.

Just received today and been back and forth between the E2 and my long timer Hawke Sapphire 8x43.

Wanted the most optic for my limited £'s and didn't think the Monarch 7 8x30 would do it for me. Thankfully the E2 is great. Only thing I noticed negatively and I noticed immediately was CA although not a lot and if I get my eyes centred well then it's well controlled. I noticed it immediately because I haven't seen any in my two Hawkes in the years that I've had them so it did jump out at me from the E2. Otherwise I think the E2 is pretty fantastic and I'm definitely going to get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Bought not previously having had the chance to try one so it's also a relief that it's as good as everyone has been banging on about for years and a resoundingly definite keeper. Highly recommended.

I'm also glad that it didn't show my Sapphire up to be a complete dog. In fact it just confirmed what I always thought that the Sapphire is a very good bin especially at controlling CA but even my little 8x25 Hawke Frontier PC does that perfectly also.

Glad I have the Sapphire for wet days but I think I'm going to be using the E2 a lot otherwise. The Sapphire seems to have more magnification even though it's a 8x also so I imagine it will be more useful over distance and I know it excels in low light. Really glad they that they make a great pairing.

Dare I say it. Maybe I don't need any more binoculars! Definitely needed something decent just to have an alternative to the Sapphire and the E2 fits the bill perfectly. What really struck me is that the E2 seems so short and a fairly insubstantial lightweight binocular whereas the view is kind of huge and bright (and quite flat on mine)! This did amaze me. They should have called it the Nikon Tardis or something.

Sorry Brock to hear of your predicament. Seems a big shame that you are selling your great binocular when people like me are just discovering it largely thanks to folks like yourself. I just borrow the neighbourhood kitty or as you know it borrows me, usually for a ham breakfast weekdays.

Off topic but I actually saved a swift from murderous starlings the other day and probably the cat. Tried to lift it off some grass and had to pull the grass up to get it as it wouldn't let go. Anyhow ended up with it sitting on a pair of decorating jeans unitl it recovered and then took it upstairs and let it fly from the bedroom window. It was an absolute beauty of a bird and I didn't even bother grabbing a pic as I was more trying to think what to do with it but my neighbour did witness it taking off and shooting out of my bedroom window. Picture me carrying it upstairs on the jeans like cushion and trying to gee it up to fly and it just sitting there happy as a swift I suppose? It didn't even seem to want to leave as it just sat in the window until I shouted down to the neighbour. Bit magical experience.

Clive,

Glad my "banging on about for years" finally got you to try one for yourself. They are my favorite bins.

Happy to hear you saved the swift! I've been trying to catch a feral cat that has been killing chipmunks and fledgling birds that aren't able to fly or at least fly well enough to escape. My neighbor's dog keeps eating the food I leave out for the cat, and the cat broke out of the first cage I had. She wouldn't go in the second one, which was longer, I kept catching the same skunk, who has a taste for stinky fish, small wonder, being a stink weed himself!

I love my backyard animals, including the cat, the skunk and the groundhog (which one neighbor wants to pour gasoline down his hole and burn him to death because he eats veggies from his garden). I don't subscribe to the "law of the jungle," as some do, because this ain't the jungle, it's suburbia, suburbia that's becoming increasingly urbanized, and we need to learn to live in harmony with wildlife, not exterminate it. I'm trying to save what little wildlife habitat we have left by keeping my backyard wild while everybody else clear cuts their yards to put up a parking lot and another student apt. building, or more lawn! My one neighbor cut down a huge hedge that served as a great shelter for birds, and now he's planting grass. Yeah, that's just what we need, more grass! Ugh. He likes to ride his Lawn Boy.

I put out sunflower seeds for the squirrels, chippies, and birds each and every day even when it's 0*F. I'm always out there. Even when I injured my leg (pulled my hip flexors) I was out feeding them on my crutches.

Only one neighbor has ever thanked me for taking care of the animals. Some others dislike me because I attract wildlife to the area. One harped on me ths winter because crows crapped on his $30K car, which for some reason, he doesn't keep in his garage even though he has one. He parks it under the power and TV cable lines that go to our houses. Of course, it's going to get crapped on.

Penn State set off explosives on campus to drive the crows away this winter, and we ended up with over 100 in my neighborhood for about a month until the snow finally melted. They descended on the seeds, peanuts and suet in my backyard like a swarm of locusts.

Most of my neighbors come home from their cubicles at work and go right into their cubicles at home w/out ever stepping outside to see the wildlife right in their backyard. Civilization - it's vastly overrated.

I've attached a photo of my backyard taken from the seat where I watch birds and other backyard critters. The ladder leads to a tube feeder. This is where the EII was at its best.

Brock

Attachments

• DSCN2900.JPG
    DSCN2900.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 76
I was talking to my uncle who used to keep show birds and was telling him about the swift and how I could feel it's heart beating so hard and so fast once I lifted it but I had to as the starling attacked it as it tried to take off and was stabbing the swift on the ground with it's relatively huge bill just like a dagger. My uncle said the swift could easily have had a heart attack but it actually quickly calmed down as I held it still for a minute before moving away with it.

Was beautiful to see it take off and shoot out the window and be able to fly off as it had a little damage to one wing but my uncle said it would probably survive alright. I actually found myself saying "fly free little bird" as it shot off into the distance.

Then I was thinking probably not many people ever held a swift? and it all started just by me glancing out of my kitchen window and spotting something in the road which turned out to be the swift being attacked by the starling who was probably protective of it's nest in the eaves and I guess the swift must have strayed into it's territory?

Now when I look up at the local swifts I wonder if mine is one of them? Hope so.

Very nice yard BTW

I was talking to my uncle who used to keep show birds and was telling him about the swift and how I could feel it's heart beating so hard and so fast once I lifted it but I had to as the starling attacked it as it tried to take off and was stabbing the swift on the ground with it's relatively huge bill just like a dagger. My uncle said the swift could easily have had a heart attack but it actually quickly calmed down as I held it still for a minute before moving away with it.

Was beautiful to see it take off and shoot out the window and be able to fly off as it had a little damage to one wing but my uncle said it would probably survive alright. I actually found myself saying "fly free little bird" as it shot off into the distance.

Then I was thinking probably not many people ever held a swift? and it all started just by me glancing out of my kitchen window and spotting something in the road which turned out to be the swift being attacked by the starling who was probably protective of it's nest in the eaves and I guess the swift must have strayed into it's territory?

Now when I look up at the local swifts I wonder if mine is one of them? Hope so.

Very nice yard BTW

More likely that the starling was trying to take over the swift's nest and the swift was defending it.

Here's a photo (with accompanying story) of a starling trying to steal a flicker's nest.

The-moment-starlings-stole-nest-violent-fashion.html

Sparrows do this, too. I went to a talk on bluebirds a while back, and one woman said that when she finds sparrow chicks in her bluebird boxes, she takes them out, puts them in a plastic bag and then bashes the chicks to death against the side of her house. Then she wanted to know if I wanted to join the PA Bluebird Society. I told her I was not "bashful" enough.

Apparently, there's nothing illegal about this because sparrows are not protected because they are considered a non-native species. House sparrows were first introduced to North America when a few dozen birds were released in Brooklyn, New York, in the fall of 1851 and spring of 1852. Gradually the population grew with additional releases because settlers then believed that these birds would help control insects on crops. Now they are everywhere, but they're still considered "illegal immigrants" even after being in the U.S. for 164 years.

Here's my lush backyard turned bleak naked in the winter.

Attachments

• DSCN2483.JPG
    DSCN2483.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 51
You're definitely not bashful enough lol.

Just starting to get bright light and colour with all the new leaves here and everything looks fantastic through binos (any bino basically, well all my 3 or 4 if you count my 15x70 Visionary HD) but unfortunately the wind and rain is prominent currently so I'm going to have to hold off getting out for a good look around with the E2 but I'm fairly confident it's going to be great when I do manage it. I plan to use them mostly around my favourite local bog area so the large 3d dof and fov and super detail sharpness plus great colour is going to be perfect for there. It's warbler time around there now.

I'll have to stop thinking of it or this weather will upset me.

Was looking at a this bin yesterday online. Massive 9.3 fov and water proofed also. And relatively cheap. But is it any good?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71SjqCew9FL._SL1500_.jpg

Just starting to get bright light and colour with all the new leaves here and everything looks fantastic through binos (any bino basically, well all my 3 or 4 if you count my 15x70 Visionary HD) but unfortunately the wind and rain is prominent currently so I'm going to have to hold off getting out for a good look around with the E2 but I'm fairly confident it's going to be great when I do manage it. I plan to use them mostly around my favourite local bog area so the large 3d dof and fov and super detail sharpness plus great colour is going to be perfect for there. Lot of close in trees and reeds and ponds etc. It's warbler time around there now. I kind of miss my 8x56 ProStalk ED that I used to lug around there because you could just point it at a tree and find every bird in there no problem as it looked into the shadows so well.

Was looking at a this bin yesterday online. Massive 9.3 fov and water proofed also. And relatively cheap. But is it any good? I assume the E2 is a lot better view and precision build wise? I think you have the Aculon which is 9.3 also? How do they compare with the E2 if you don't mind me asking. I had originally intended to buy an Aculon but was suspicious of the low price and so consequently opted for the E2 and certainly not disappointed. I'm sure the Aculon can't be that bad to cost a 1/5 of the E2 price or is it? I assume there is something not quite right with it but again unfortunately I have not been able to try any of these bins before choosing.

Just noticed again the 5m close focus with the Aculon. The E2 at about 2m is much preferable.

Last edited:

Just starting to get bright light and colour with all the new leaves here and everything looks fantastic through binos (any bino basically, well all my 3 or 4 if you count my 15x70 Visionary HD) but unfortunately the wind and rain is prominent currently so I'm going to have to hold off getting out for a good look around with the E2 but I'm fairly confident it's going to be great when I do manage it. I plan to use them mostly around my favourite local bog area so the large 3d dof and fov and super detail sharpness plus great colour is going to be perfect for there. It's warbler time around there now.

Was looking at a this bin yesterday online. Massive 9.3 fov and water proofed also. And relatively cheap. But is it any good?

The major downfall of the Nikon Action line that I have tried is a small sweet spot and poor edges. They don't compare to the EII. You get what you pay for.

Here's a wet weather accessory for your EII (pretty girl not included):

umbrellahatsrus

Brock

........ The Sapphire seems to have more magnification even though it's a 8x also so I imagine it will be more useful over distance ............

If I am correct in assuming that your Hawke Sapphire 8X43 is a roof model, then what appears to be a difference in magnification between your two 8X binoculars may be due to the image scale differences between a roof and a porro.

A roof gives a more up front presentation with objects appearing large in scale compared to a porro binocular. The porro image has a more realistic scale where objects seem smaller and with greater spacing. However the detail is the same. I like a roof for studying detail (because it just seems easier) and a porro when appreciating the overall view or viewing flocks of birds, or herd of animals. It is a matter of picking the best tool for the job. :t:

Hope you enjoy your new EII. They are special.

thanks guys.

I'm sure I'm definitely going to enjoy the E2. I'm going tomorrow for a proper trial no matter about the hurricane. I do think it is a more interesting and sort of enjoyable (a very important aspect) view when compared to my Sapphire (roof) although that model still has the ability to really impress me sometimes.

Just trying the E2 in the back yard again today I notice that the columation seems perfect in the that the image from both oculars blends perfectly and the view is still wide and roomy feeling.

With roofs this always seems more difficult to obtain and used to be a nuisance with my Zeiss fl (oval exit pupils probably a cause) and Swaro's and Leica HD and my Sapphire also which is it's only annoying aspect to me. By difficult I mean it seems like I have to close the ipd down more than I would like to get a single image with no obvious non-overlap and that all seems to lessen the fov. If I actually measured the ipd it would probably be the same as for the porro but something about the roofs in that respect seems to bother me and the E2 brings the issue up again by demonstrating that it does not affect me this way.. Always seems to be worse when outdoors with the roofs but not such an issue when indoors looking outside so that could be a big clue. The porro just seem fine indoor and out.

Surprisingly my 8x25 Hawke Frontier PC roof is still an offender of the same issue and again especially outdoors but not really to bad. the Leica and Swaro El's were only slightly irritating in this respect also. The E2. Forget about it. No problem. Wonderful.

Does anyone know why this is. I sure really like the E2 in that I don't get this issue and would have bought one long ago if I'd known. I don't think I've ever come across this being mentioned anywhere. I'm sure it's not in my mind but then I'd have to take my mind's thought as proof so I will concede, shaky ground there?

I'd say this might be something specifically good about the E2 in particular as I don't get this with my 15x70 porro or remember my old Opticron zoom porro's or Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro being particular as good in this regard as the E2 so I assume it must be the E2 and perhaps other good porro's.

Thought of another name for the E2 the Nikon Hipster. Or the Nikon Street Custom, just stripped down to the bare minimum of everything except great optics

Last edited:
I rolled back the eye cups on the Nikon 8x30 EII this morning, and wow... what an improvement in the view! Much of the touted wide FOV is actually usable now (though still not all of it). It's like a whole new binocular.

I rolled back the eye cups on the Nikon 8x30 EII this morning, and wow... what an improvement in the view! Much of the touted wide FOV is actually usable now (though still not all of it). It's like a whole new binocular.

If the width of the EII's eyecups is preventing you from seeing the full field of view, take off the eyecups and put them back on upside down. The width of the bottom is smaller than the width on top, and it won't flare out and widen over time like the eyecups do in the right side up position. This is what I did with my 8x32 SE to eek out more FOV and provide more nose comfort.

Jimmy D. (ah cha cha cha).

Been out with mine for a few hours this morning and not sure how to put this as it may be a lynchable offence but I found them to be at best described as good competent.

What I really was hoping to be saying was all the wow stuff after all they had seemed so good viewing from the house but out in the actual wild....

Main thing is they lacked any real wowzer sparkle. I also more or less continually had the feeling that the Sapphire would perform better with a more expansive feeling view and that the extra seeming magnification would be desirable not to mention the sparkle and sharpness they can provide. Another gripe is when refocusing to different objects with the E2 the dioptre setting seemed to benefit from being reset anywhere from 1 to 2 and I normal have dioptres set at zero or just off to minus slightly.

I met some-one with some 8x32 LXL who tried them and thought they were good but I have the feeling that they are not as good as my Sapphire or any of the 32mm Alfa roofs that I previously owned as they all can provide that 5 star extra amazing image and I didn't get that with the E2 today so maybe I need to try on another day with different lighting or later in the day. This morning was bright and then cloudy but a bit flat so hopefully that has been the problem but I still think the Sapphire would have performed much better today and I've owned those for years so I can be fairly sure of that.

The E2 actually reminded me of my old Prostalk 8x56 but without the serious wow those often provided.

I honestly am surprised as I thought today was going to be an easy breathtaking display from the Nikon but seems I was wrong. I'm sort of confused by this to be honest.

Still I think it's to early to write them off and I need to have a bit more time to take both bins with me next time and compare so hopefully things will get better but certainly a bit of a shock and worrying outcome today.

At the moment I don't see anything to mourne with the passing of the E2. Just get an 8x43 Sapphire. Flat out more capable bin with no CA and waterproofed and very reliable.

That's my hopefully premature rather harsh and disappointed feeling about the E2 just now.

Last edited:
Clive,

You probably won't get satisfaction from any binocular that has eye cups that don't work for you.

I don't know very much about your 8x43 Sapphire other than what I have read but it seems to have 18mm of eye relief and has hard eye cups which twist up--I don't know if there are intermediate positions for it.

As you know, the E2 has rubber eye cups and it has 13.5 mm of ER which is what you are stuck with. If you can't accommodate yourself to these limitations the binocular isn't for you.

Try this if you don't wear glasses when you use them. This is what I do when I use mine. (It is the way I use all of my binoculars.) Hold the binocular so the eye cups rest up against and under your eye brows just under your brow ridge. Slightly adjust the position until you find the best view (eye relief) and make sure your IPD is spot on and remember its number in degrees for future use. Keep trying this a while to get the right position. If it works it will become 2nd nature. If it doesn't work out the binocular probably isn't for you.

Good luck,

Bob

Last edited:
You are hereby to be known as CLIVE THE HERETIC! Prepare to be burned at the stake! :C

I forgot to mention that the EII is only supposed to be used in the backyard where the view looks fabulous. ;)

That's where I used mine mostly. When I took it out into the sun, the contrast noticeably diminished due to glare/flare, like the veiling glare of some bins, but more subtle, just a slightly washed out image.

Adding Bushwackers helped with this and also improved the balance of the EII in my hand. But under the most difficult conditions, I had to add sunshields, which recessed the objective lenses another 2 1/2". Then they were as glare resistant as my SEs.

I'm talking about my oldest pair that likely has some dust and pollen inside, which might have contributed to the glare. I couldn't see anything obvious but if you have a Porro for a long time, some stuff is bound to get inside. A cat hair once got inside that sample EII, and it got caught on the bottom of the left EP, which made it look like it had a reticle. All it takes it loosening one bolt to get the left EP out to clean the bottom (the right EP has three bolts and you have to put the EP back just the way it was or the diopter setting will be off - fortunately, I never had to do that).

But if you have the black body version, the glare should be reduced. I compared the BB vs. GB versions in an open field with the sun hanging overhead, and the BB had noticeably better glare/flare resistance. If you plan to keep the EII, buy a pair of Bushwacker covers (#5) and see if that doesn't improve the view/contrast.

Also, use the EII in a shaded area and then in an open area and see if that makes a difference. If the view loses its "wow" in in open area, it's probably due to a drop on contrast because of that subtle glare. Bushwackers should help.

Here's a photo of the EII with Bushwackers and the SE with the sunshields. The SE didn't have a glare problem, I put the shields to extend the barrels to make it more comfortable to hold. Felt like the 10x42 SE with the shields on.

I took the sunshields off the SE in the winter and put them on the EII to reduce the flare from the low hanging sun. The sunshields are larger but the Bushwackers made a perfect adapter. With the sunshields on the EII the flare control was as good as the SE's.

Brock

Attachments

• Nikon EII and SE 030 [Desktop Resolution] [] [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    Nikon EII and SE 030 [Desktop Resolution] [] [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    266 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back